• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

bit of lesson for SUFC here - how come they got him that shape while we didn't -

as for the segment of our support who thought he was ***** .... nuff said -

Had a visitor from Swansea with us at the weekend and he took me to Carrow Rd, just 12 miles from me, and we saw Mark put in a near faultless performance in his new role as a holding player sitting just in front of the back four. His long-range passing was a sight to behold, picking out new signing Scott Sinclair on numerous occasions from about 45 yards. And a bonus- a Swans fan gave us tickets which Swans players had dished out as they got off the coach. As for the match, Swans fans felt as miffed as we did last season when Canaries nicked it very late on. A draw would have been fairest but Swans missed a pen when it was 0-0. Gower looked very much the general of Swans and heard many home fans purring about his performance.

Had a visitor from Swansea with us at the weekend and he took me to Carrow Rd, just 12 miles from me, and we saw Mark put in a near faultless performance in his new role as a holding player sitting just in front of the back four. His long-range passing was a sight to behold, picking out new signing Scott Sinclair on numerous occasions from about 45 yards. And a bonus- a Swans fan gave us tickets which Swans players had dished out as they got off the coach. As for the match, Swans fans felt as miffed as we did last season when Canaries nicked it very late on. A draw would have been fairest but Swans missed a pen when it was 0-0. Gower looked very much the general of Swans and heard many home fans purring about his performance.

What would we do for a player like him right now...

And I need to hold my hand up and say I was wrong... when Gower was wit us, he used to frustrate the hel out of me, but now I realise how good he was for us...

He should have played in the middle for us. We were crying out for that creativity in the Championship. Oh well.

Swans fans seem to agree with you -
http://forum.planetswans.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82300

I would question Gower's tackling ability to play as a holding midfielder.
Indeed, to me the beauty of Gower's play was his ability to give wide options and his undoubted skill at crossing and shooting from distance, not necessarily attributes for a central midfielder. I think he was played to his best with us, he was given freedom to roam at will, create, score and excite.

Indeed, to me the beauty of Gower's play was his ability to give wide options and his undoubted skill at crossing and shooting from distance, not necessarily attributes for a central midfielder. I think he was played to his best with us, he was given freedom to roam at will, create, score and excite.

Gower was a central midfielder before at Spurs and at Barnet before Wignall played him on the wing with us. At Swansea he's tended to play as one of a central midfield three, although played on the left at times in his first season too.

As for his ability to tackle, that never stopped Kevin Maher playing that position for us for a decade and the best holding midfielder on form in the Country is Paul Scholes whose tackling ability is legendary. Clever players don't need to tackle.

Yea, theres really 2 types of holding midfielder... an 'enforcer' type, like Makelele or a 'Quarter back' who will seat deeper and start attacks (Scholes for example as Beefy says)

I would question Gower's tackling ability to play as a holding midfielder.

The holding midfield role is more about reading the game rather than tackling.

In fact, tackling is one of the most overrated aspects of the modern game in terms of importance. Have a look at the stats and see how few times in the modern game players actually tackle (this is regrettable IMO, but we are moving towards tackling eventually being outlawed). As Zonal Marking showed, more important than tackling is intercepting. Far more important than even intercepting will be a player's positioning and the number of times he prevents a pass simply by being in the right spot.

That said, I'm not sure about Gower's defensive positioning, but he's certainly got the right skills going forward with his range of passing.

I'm not a massive Kevin Maher fan but what he was brilliant at was using his intelligence to constantly position himself to win the ball without tackling. I watched him for ten years and can't honestly tell you whether he could tackle or not because he so rarely put himself in a position where he needed to.

The Spanish midfielders, especially Xavi, are similar. As is Pirlo for Italy. They all read the game so well.

I'd suggest he's probably adopting a more QB orientated role in that position, rather than a strict defensive midfielder anyway.

He should have played in the middle for us. We were crying out for that creativity in the Championship. Oh well.
I'm pretty sure he did play in the middle alongside Maher at one point during the Championship season, though it was probably only a game or two as I can't remember too much about the combination. You're right, though, and when you consider that Lewis Hunt and Peter Clarke were paired with Maher instead after Luke Guttridge's form vanished, Tilly really missed a trick there.

I'm really pleased for Gower and the fact that he's clearly enjoying his football at the moment. Quite how/why some on here didn't rate him is mystifying.

My friend has a season ticket at Swansea and he has also said his performances all season in the CDM position have been top notch!

Some swan fans are already calling him legend lol

I miss Gower so much. If there was ever a man who could turn a game on its head with a moment of brilliance then its him. Not sure about the holding role making the most of his talents but none the less its good to see him getting the plaudits he deserves.

I miss Gower so much. If there was ever a man who could turn a game on its head with a moment of brilliance then its him. Not sure about the holding role making the most of his talents but none the less its good to see him getting the plaudits he deserves.

its sad he was hounded out by your mate.

Back