• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Josh Walker signs on a two year deal

Transfer news
I'm merely stating a fact that his previous 2 years have been very poor in terms of strike rate.

On paper it's not a good signing let alone statement one but i'll happily be proved wrong.
I guess if he (Walker) had been doing the business then Burton Albion would have kept/retained him. Played most of his career "down south" so maybe that's one reason things didn't work out for him in Staffordshire?

🚨🆕✍️ How Josh Walker could fit into Southend United’s system 🚨

🔹 The significance of this signing
🔹 Efficiency in-front of goal
🔹 A threat in offensive transition
🔹 The importance of the high-press

🚨🆕✍️ How Josh Walker could fit into Southend United’s system 🚨

🔹 The significance of this signing
🔹 Efficiency in-front of goal
🔹 A threat in offensive transition
🔹 The importance of the high-press

love that, thanks. how does he compare in terms of his two key metrics (finishing and pressing) compared to others in and around this division?

love that, thanks. how does he compare in terms of his two key metrics (finishing and pressing) compared to others in and around this division?
Pressing is difficult to quantify, as the only data I have available at this level is ‘event data’, which measures things like: passes, shots, and crosses. ‘Tracking data’ is needed to measure pressing intensity, as this will tell us how many sprints a player makes, and how far they run per match, for example.

That’s why it’s important to watch players live, too. Walker is very quick and athletic, and should have the physical requirements to be a top presser for us.

In terms of his finishing, the below visualisation shows Walker’s percentile ranks compared to other strikers in the 22/23 NL season. Lots of green bars for the goal-scoring metrics, which is good!

IMG_4037.webp

Pressing is difficult to quantify, as the only data I have available at this level is ‘event data’, which measures things like: passes, shots, and crosses. ‘Tracking data’ is needed to measure pressing intensity, as this will tell us how many sprints a player makes, and how far they run per match, for example.

That’s why it’s important to watch players live, too. Walker is very quick and athletic, and should have the physical requirements to be a top presser for us.

In terms of his finishing, the below visualisation shows Walker’s percentile ranks compared to other strikers in the 22/23 NL season. Lots of green bars for the goal-scoring metrics, which is good!

View attachment 32798
Am I reading that right - no assists - I guess as a striker should be a little selfish? Although he did get an assist at GWR, so he does pass!

You could be right - I hope you are. But don't undervalue Powell. He scored 12 goals in 67 games and made space for others to score. I'm sorry he has gone, he was effective as a supersub.

But welcome Josh and good luck for your time with us.
I wasn't intending to under value him, I know he has had his critics on here but I always loved his work rate and the fact he brought a totally different option, quick, runs at the defences etc, he just didn't know when to pass sometimes. I just think Walker looks to be an improvement on him and I hope I'm right. Time will tell I suppose.

View attachment 32798
thanks for the explainer. a goal every other game would be very welcome. So he's in the top decile for the division (in 22/23) which is encouraging. I doubt we could do much better than that, and if he's a pain in the arse with pressing that's another positive. thanks again for doing these

Back