• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Josh Walker signs on a two year deal

Transfer news
Unquestionably more reasons to be positive than negative.

Looks like Walker uses both feet but I can't see him scoring many with his head. Different from what we have in Waldren & Cards as has been pointed out.

Think Walker could also be useful in holding up the ball & taking the pressure off when we are under the cosh.

I haven't quite worked out what that means for a team formation and the midfield though.

Does this give us some other options when Bridge is missing/off his game?

Waldron & Cardwell are similar players. Hopefully Walker is something a bit different that will allow us to mix things up in the final third.

Last season we had 1 up front so just having 3 forwards is a huge boon. If he can play in wide positions then even better. We probably have the best XI in the division already, so players like Walker who can maybe pitch in with 10 goals (especially if they're winners or equalisers) will be worth their weight in gold if Maher can get a tune out of them.

Don’t agree with the negativity regarding this signing, we have management team who know how to get the best out of him, he is probably the kind of player who needs to be near home, and have an arm around him, he obviously didn’t settle where he was some players don’t. I can only see good things from him.
There is no such thing as a bad player, just someone at the wrong level

Brilliant signing for us, proven at this level and always looked decent against us. Don’t take notice of his goal scoring record of late. Maybe he just didn’t settle at Burton or Gillingham. Sometimes a player needs to feel at home and wanted. Maher wanted him and Currie already knows him from Barnet. Many questioned the signing of BBBC when he came. He turned out ok. Let’s get behind the lad like we do with all the others. We have a real chance this season

As @Lincoln Shrimp pointed out on another thread, worked with Darren Currie at Barnet. Keep the faith

Thats an important fact for us. Currie has made some good choices based on attitude. The lads on loan from Sfeff U come to mind.

As for the predictable Underwhelmed Brigade. Forget his recent stats. He is moving down two divisions not up. As most of you already know there wont be silly wages paid for NL or above 30 a season men.

Raw but good value young talent or lads that have caught the Still/Kev/Currie eye. Thats the way forward.....So get used to it and get behind any new boys.

Don’t agree with the negativity regarding this signing, we have management team who know how to get the best out of him, he is probably the kind of player who needs to be near home, and have an arm around him, he obviously didn’t settle where he was some players don’t. I can only see good things from him.
I agree with you. He played for Barnet when Darren Currie was manager. John Still knows him from Dagenham. They know him well and have signed him. More than good enough for me.

I’ve spoken to my friend who is a Burton Albion fan, goes to 90% of games and said the following:

So…. We got him a couple of transfer windows ago from Dagenham and came with a decent reputation as being a good pro. It was absolutely apparent that he was massively out his depth in league one and let’s be honest mate, out of his depth in a shockingly poor/awful/struggling Burton side who only managed to escape relegation on the final day!! We loaned him out in Jan to Gillingham and their fans didn’t think much to him.

He can’t head the ball for toffee. Easily bullied. However, his attitude is quite infectious and he will run and I mean run all ****ing day. He will run the channels, chase, hurry, do doggy’s etc. To me, we didn’t see the best of him because he never got an opportunity. Gillingham he was quickly out of favour plus they changed managers. Don’t expect him to score a hatful. 10 max. And I will be surprised if he gets 10.
Perhaps that says more about their management than him?

I trust KM etc to get the best out of a player. More so than many managers higher up the pyramid.

I agree with you. He played for Barnet when Darren Currie was manager. John Still knows him from Dagenham. They know him well and have signed him. More than good enough for me.
Plus, people are picking out stats that suit the narrative (never on the zone!). Yes his goal to game ratio hasn't been great recently but that was for teams a league and 2 leagues above. If we were to analyse his previous stint at daggers that earned him his great move to Burton, that would impress more.

He is only 26, works incredibly hard, scored goals at this level and knows the management team. We nearly died as a club, who on earth did people expect us to sign? This is a lot higher profile than I thought we'd get given the circumstances. Let's trust in Kev and Co, they've not let us down yet.

Last edited:
Plus, people are picking out stats that suit the narrative (never on the zone!). Yes his goal to game ratio hasn't been great recently but that was for teams a league and 2 leagues above. If we were to analyse his previous stint at daggers that aren't him his great move to Burton, that would impress more.

He is only 26, works incredibly hard, scored goals at this level and knows the management team. We nearly died as a club, who on earth did people expect us to sign? This is a lot higher profile than I thought we'd get given the circumstances. Let's trust in Kev and Co, they've not let us down yet.
That's the skill of a good management team. Picking up a goal scorer who is seen to have "failed" will cost a whole lot less than someone who has been scoring for fun. If KM etc can see beyond that then good on them. If it doesn't work out then so be it, that's why we have more than one option. If it works out then all the better, and it might even make us a few quid along the way.

I feel he's a definite improvement on Powell who's left and has got a lot of potential at this level. I understand you saying he's not a statement signing but he's proven at this level, the right age etc. I think we should be upbeat about this one.

You could be right - I hope you are. But don't undervalue Powell. He scored 12 goals in 67 games and made space for others to score. I'm sorry he has gone, he was effective as a supersub.

But welcome Josh and good luck for your time with us.

We had a spread of players knocking goals in last season with cards notching up a good amount. It only takes one of waldon, cards, walker to find a rich vein of scoring to make a huge diffe rence. The more good forwards capable of it, the better chance it happens. Bridge, Ralph, Husin and Gus will still knock in quite a few between them. I can't see there being a shortage of goals as long as we attack and create chances. Walker will suit kevs love of a high press a lot more than tshimanga would. I don't know if Gubbins is a threat at corners, long throws and set pieces but if he is, that's another plus, because kensdale doesn't really offer that.
And hence the creative/attacking midfielder to replace Wes

Thats an important fact for us. Currie has made some good choices based on attitude. The lads on loan from Sfeff U come to mind.

As for the predictable Underwhelmed Brigade. Forget his recent stats. He is moving down two divisions not up. As most of you already know there wont be silly wages paid for NL or above 30 a season men.

Raw but good value young talent or lads that have caught the Still/Kev/Currie eye. Thats the way forward.....So get used to it and get behind any new boys.
Indeed- if we were the ones getting him a year ago from Daggers we would be raving at getting him and how we must have beaten EFL clubs to his signature...

However, his attitude is quite infectious and he will run and I mean run all ****ing day. He will run the channels, chase, hurry, do doggy’s etc.
THIS is why we signed him, alongside his previous goalscoring record at this level of course.
Compliments the attitude we already have in this squad.

Last edited:
Cards had his best Goalscoring return last season. If he maintains that and Walker or Waldron followed suit, then we won't be in a bad place.

Defence wise a good defence and ours is, doesn't become a bad one overnight. Belt up for a fantastic season imho.

Back