• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread HMRC v SUFC - FINAL hearing on 1st March. DISMISSED

Outcome of HMRC court case 1 March

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought we're currently in tender process for the stadium, due back this week(?). Tendering for the housing I don't think has started
I thought that tendering was for sub contractors under the main stadium contractor who I was lead to believe is already chosen?
Maybe somebody who knows more can elaborate

Not sure why you feel the need to bring mental health into the argument really.

Pretty disgusting to suggest anyone that has anything “positive” to say about RM has mental health issues if you ask me….
Certainly happy to withdraw that remark, but given the current state of our poor club under this toxic regime, I cannot find ANY logical reason why anyone would have even the tiniest positive thing to say about “that person” ……. EVER.
In my defence, I did say that I hoped that wasn’t the case, and after 50+ years of devotion to SUFC, I find it utterly and truly depressing…….which of course is a mental health issue too. Please accept my apologies……perhaps I could have phrased it a bit better, but sometimes on here, the truth has to be told.

Have been stupidly busy this week and am only just catching up. I read the AAS match report of the match with HMRC and see we maintained our unbeaten record, which is obviously a relief.

And now it actually does seem as though we are at last chance saloon. It's gone to penalties.

As many of you will realise, I think I'm a lot more optimistic than most about this whole thing; not because I have any inside info or anything like that, I've never met Ron and I don't have any vested interest in this either way, aside from continuing to have a team to support.

But there is one factor that I don't think has been picked up by anyone on here (apologies if it has) that gives me the greatest hope.

Before the hearing, I think there was a general consensus that there would be another adjournment for 56 days (I thought it would be paid with the embargo removed, so that tells you what I know!).

What's actually happened, is that we have a 42 day extension, and it's final. That word final is, I agree, a bit scary. The fact that the extension is 6 instead of 8 weeks is also something that focuses the mind. Because of the history, it's easy to picture a ****ed off HMRC barrister and a frowning judge coming down on serial non payer Ron and really putting the squeeze on.

I don't think that's the whole story here... it would appear that we are the ones that have asked for 42 days.

What does that mean?

Well, I would say we must be pretty sure that the money will be coming within 3-4 weeks with a margin for error built in.

Our lawyers are not going to have gone into this cold. There will have been discussions. Ron hasn't suddenly discovered he owes HMRC money and needs funds. He will have been trying to resolve this for MONTHS. He will have given his best estimate for when the monies would be through (weeks, not months, remember) but the fact that it hasn't materialised doesn't mean he lied; it's just outside his control.

It's a bridging loan. There will have been financial forecasts being done regarding how much we will need to get us to the next tranche of payments. The interest rate will be higher than usual. A miscalculation could put us exactly in this position again in a few months with no opportunity to refinance again. He has to get it right.

It therefore means that he has to draw the funds down as late as possible to avoid crippling excess interest charges.

In my opinion, if there was any doubt that the money wouldn't be available, we would have been pushing for 56 days, possibly even longer (if that's even possible).

It's very easy for us to panic and jump to conclusions when we don't have any of the relevant information. That's what Ron meant when he said to the people that visited his house "You don't know anything". No-one knows what goes on behind the scenes.

So, whilst we are not officially out of the woods, I am much more relaxed about the outcome that I would have been if it were the judge's decision to cut the time before the next hearing.
Completely agree. i would envisage that the bridging loan has all been but agreed and will be available for draw down during February. To avoid the most amount of interest it would therefore make sense to draw down at the last possible moment to make payment.

As we have asked for the 42 days it takes us to be back in court on the 1st March. They would have the money secured and ready to go in February with payment to HMRC due to be paid last working day of February. Could draw down some earlier to pay outstanding salaries etc if required as i'd imagine they are not going to be in the hundreds of thousands (dare i dare a million) that may be owed to HMRC.

The optimist in me sees a great future ahead with this club especially with the Tom Lawrence, Stan Collymore, John Still, the 3 amigos and the back office staff in the club.

I'd imagine if we had has a CEO after Steve Kavanagh back in 2016 we wouldn't be in as much of a mess that we are now. The good thing is we have the people in that are fighting the fires, putting the club first and probably doing more than they are paid to do to get the club back on more level ground.

Now get in a nice craft ale offering at the new stand and all may be forgiven

The court case (and debt) is against Southend United FC Limited, not ‘Ron Martin Conglomerates’. If the debt is unpaid the court named company is wound up, not all the companies and all the SUFC owner’s other assets.
Ah misunderstanding - thought you were talking about the bridging loan (debt) being taken out by SUFC itself.

You can make an argument for either stance really, as said earlier by somebody nobody is ‘Pro Ron’ but more ‘pro Ron pulling this off so he can sell and go’
I think that sums it up quite nicely. I am not pro Ron or anti Ron. What I want is the plans and they are good ones both for the stadium and the housing (the concierge system is vital so we don't get the current town centre problems) to happen. I am very pleased at how good the training pitches are. Frankly any fan who's seen them should be. So as people say it is vital Ron gets the loan. I haven't a clue if he will. I hope so of course. Then once the building starts or at least when we can move into the new stadium the bidding from prospective new owners can start and I anticipate a queue so Ron must get that right. We've had a few charlatans over the years. I actually feel quite optimistic so long as we get this loan. If not it's curtains. However we were saying this 20 odd years ago which was why the trust was formed (under a few different names). I had a little to do with the plaque on the Blue Boar. I can tell you exactly my thoughts about why it should be done. Firstly there were worries about the pub being demolished. Even a local journalist and broadcaster was advocating it. Its history the trust felt should be acknowledged. The second reason was real fears even to then that the club would not survive, after all the chairman was a property developer, and at the very least there should be some acknowledgement that at one time there was a professional club in the town. Well we're still here.
Come on Ron let's get this over the line.

@Shrimperstrust or @OldBlueLady would it be possible if there is one (apologies if I have not seen it) to publish on here and on social media the trusts contingency plan if in a few weeks time Ron does not get the money together.

Reason I ask is 1. For the benefit of the trust to appease fans but more importantly 2. So that SOS and others can be supporting it and acting accordingly

At the time Vics health was getting worse and wanted to retire from it all, at least Vic knew when to sell because he did not have the means to invest and drive it forward
I can understand that, part of me wished he was brave to sack Ronnie Whelan in December 1996 or appointment more experienced manager in June 1997 given the history I read.

Not wanting Ron out at this particular moment in time isn't being pro Ron.

Acknowledging what he done in the past or having some understanding of why he has taken the action he has isn't being pro Ron.

In fact, I doubt you'll find a pro Ron fan in the supporter base.

I think you'll find many people are pro SUFC and just happen to believe that the best chance the club has of surviving is just to let the current scenario play out without protests, marches, bringing the scenario to the attention of the national press and are just trying to enjoy what is the best season on the pitch we have had for some time.
Thanks fbm ,can u post this in capitals each day till all the repeated trash on here stops ,thank u !🤨🤨🤨🤨

I can understand that, part of me wished he was brave to sack Ronnie Whelan in December 1996 or appointment more experienced manager in June 1997 given the history I read.
Yeah Ronnie ‘playing 6 at the back’ whelan! Terrible choice of manager….. then Alvin Martin came along !!! 😂😂

It is SO close, there is no way he will let things fail at this stage.
There's a beautiful brand new Bentley for sale at a heavily discounted price. Not to be missed. Still can't afford it though. Even if I grovel at the banks door!
Having something so good to miss, doesn't mean you have the resources to seal the deal sadly and this is where I think Ron is.
He can see the finish line, but he now has 2 broken ankles and no one will lend him their crutches.
However, I do agree, he will find a way somehow, but he is running out of options to secure required funding. It's getting harder for sure.

There's a beautiful brand new Bentley for sale at a heavily discounted price. Not to be missed. Still can't afford it though. Even if I grovel at the banks door!
Having something so good to miss, doesn't mean you have the resources to seal the deal sadly and this is where I think Ron is.
He can see the finish line, but he now has 2 broken ankles and no one will lend him their crutches.
However, I do agree, he will find a way somehow, but he is running out of options to secure required finding. It's getting harder for sure.
And his hairspray bills must be huge!

• Haha
Reactions: TJC
Yeah Ronnie ‘playing 6 at the back’ whelan! Terrible choice of manager….. then Alvin Martin came along !!! 😂😂
I think our current Ronnie has about 8 skilful players on here to cover his back, artfully working away at every opportunity, , I wonder why?
The aim is to deflect, disperse, dampen down dissent, present Ron in as positive light as possible, divide and rule, challenge criticism , sometimes very well done, and its working pretty well

@Shrimperstrust or @OldBlueLady would it be possible if there is one (apologies if I have not seen it) to publish on here and on social media the trusts contingency plan if in a few weeks time Ron does not get the money together.

Reason I ask is 1. For the benefit of the trust to appease fans but more importantly 2. So that SOS and others can be supporting it and acting accordingly
Think some of my Trust colleagues are already in discussion with SOS members and other groups to discuss next steps.

I think our current Ronnie has about 8 skilful players on here to cover his back, artfully working away at every opportunity, , I wonder why?
The aim is to deflect, disperse, dampen down dissent, present Ron in as positive light as possible, divide and rule, challenge criticism , sometimes very well done, and its working pretty well
It’s an easy thing to do when your club is fighting for its life! Denial can be a strong thing, took me weeks to accept we fell out of the football league ☹️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back