• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Hartlepool United v Southend United, Saturday 17th August, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 81 88.0%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Ollie Kensdale

• Joe Gubbins

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Nathan Ralph

• Cav Miley

• Oli Coker

Votes: 72 78.3%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 75 81.5%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 77 83.7%
  • Harry Cardwell

• Danny Waldron

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • James Morton

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • Adam Crowther

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • James Hillson

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Mikey Faulkner

• George Wind

• Beau MacDonald

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ….

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Win

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 29 31.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
...and when we did get the ball we just knocked it up to the front two. If you gonna play 3-5-2, you can't keep bypassing the lads in midfield.
We didn't have anyone in midfield did we? Certainly not when Coker was hooked off for Waldron. Miley was on but he was never going to drive it forwards. I don't think we will see Kev starting with those players in those positions again .. but no idea who we will try in CM next to Coker. The obvious choice is Morton but the general consensus is he's another Cav, too defensive. Let's see. Or let's hope we by some miracle we get an attacking centre mid in by Sat.

We didn't have anyone in midfield did we? Certainly not when Coker was hooked off for Waldron. Miley was on but he was never going to drive it forwards. I don't think we will see Kev starting with those players in those positions again .. but no idea who we will try in CM next to Coker. The obvious choice is Morton but the general consensus is he's another Cav, too defensive. Let's see. Or let's hope we by some miracle we get an attacking centre mid in by Sat.
I agree. And yes Miley and Morton are very similar. Still, may be best to start tight away from home

Regarding general fitness, I think we're fine but you need to be match fit as well. Be focused and sharp on the ball and be aware of where your team-mates are and also the opposition. We didn't play enough friendlies to grasp that and our decision-making against York was uncharacteristically poor.

I know you don't like Wes but the fact is we are missing him as it stands. Our midfield is flat and too predictable, hence why Bridge has playing centrally. I'm not suggesting we can't/won't find an upgrade on Wes but his movement and ability to find space between midfield and attack, not to mention his link up play with Bridge, was a real asset, and so far (including friendlies) we have struggled without him.
Just to be clear: I'm sure Wes and a beer would be good company.
As a footballer, he's smoke and mirrors.
Saw him live last season and many more times courtesy of NLTV. At this level, you want the basics of reasonably accurate passing; tackling and the odd meaningful shot.
Yes, he scored a couple, and yes, the winner against Chesterfield started with him. But even that was a no-hope pass that got deflected in.
But I agree about our predictable midfield, and yes, we most certainly do need an upgrade on Wes.

On topic .I'm rather wondering what DazN will do for commentators On Sat?Don't think they'll be shelling out expenses for those 2 mockney boys to travel up to Hartlepool so perhaps we can look forward to 2 super Northern commenatots on Sat-rather than the usual monkey slayers or BBC Essex's regular away duo.

I expect same team, or Morton in for Bridge. Gubbins is a big signing for us, so I expect he'll play. Doubt Kev will switch it up so soon after Saturday, but he changed it plenty in the second half so maybe. the midfield didn't work, but whether that was down to us not working or their work against us, that's why Kev etc get paid the big bucks

I expect same team, or Morton in for Bridge. Gubbins is a big signing for us, so I expect he'll play. Doubt Kev will switch it up so soon after Saturday, but he changed it plenty in the second half so maybe. the midfield didn't work, but whether that was down to us not working or their work against us, that's why Kev etc get paid the big bucks
That's interesting. I see him as an addition to our defensive back line, but I hadn't viewed him as a big signing, certainly not bought in to replace Nathan Ralph.

On topic .I'm rather wondering what DazN will do for commentators On Sat?Don't think they'll be shelling out expenses for those 2 mockney boys to travel up to Hartlepool so perhaps we can look forward to 2 super Northern commenatots on Sat-rather than the usual monkey slayers or BBC Essex's regular away duo.
Is it true that BBC Essex aren't doing match commentaries anymore? For me there's a loss of quality in sound when I do mirroring on my TV from NLTV. Put up with it on Saturday but in the past I've attempted (and sometimes managed) to synchronise the TV image with Radio Essex commentary. Is that option no longer available???

I'd suggest it was more because we spent almost the entireity of the second half chasing Yorks shadows. With nobody able to get a foot on the ball and give us a breather.

No idea what the possession stats were second half, but it felt monumentally in favour of York.

Very unlike us, unsustainable and looked a shock to their systems.
The team was knackered against Chelmsford after 25-30 minutes and against Gillingham to hot weather ?

There is an option to watch Southend Vs Hartlepool on NLTV, I just clicked on VPN, and refresh it, it’s show like the screenshot.

I be watching it at home.IMG_3547.jpeg

Is it true that BBC Essex aren't doing match commentaries anymore? For me there's a loss of quality in sound when I do mirroring on my TV from NLTV. Put up with it on Saturday but in the past I've attempted (and sometimes managed) to synchronise the TV image with Radio Essex commentary. Is that option no longer available???
Not only that but any attempt to access BBCEssex at any time (unless you have a VPN) is automatically blocked (which seems a tad excesive to me.I quite like listening to Glen Penny's Fri .show for example;Also the BBC Essex pre-and post match coverage will be missed) .Especially Paul Carke's comments.

But where will he play. No way is he a better LCB than Ralph? In a back three the RCB and LCB must be able to cover behind the wing backs. It particularly suits those can play CB and FB. Both Taylor and Ralph fit this and are exceptional at this level. To me Gubbins and Crowther are ideal cover for Kensdale? I think we have five good players but as in midfield not necessarily the right mix- but what do I know..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back