• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harry Cardwell

I feel quite despondent right now as the reality of where we are at has just hit home. We have to accept that Barnet and FGR with their poor support are actually bigger clubs than we are due to finances.

Please don't get me wrong I will forever be grateful to COSU for keeping us alive but the reality is we don't have the budget to compete with other teams in the NL again and every season since we dropped to this awful division there has been a team / reason why we will struggle to challenge for the top.💙

Last edited:
Due to our current standing this is something we are going to have to get used to. As has been stated this is our model going forward….buy prospects from the lower leagues and sell at a profit. The reason why we are all gutted is because he has done well and we’ve become attached but sadly that’s what also attracts buyers.

This can clearly be a very successful model. Just look at Brighton doing it on a grander scale.

However I don’t see that this is that good of a deal. With the original transfer fee and then wages whilst he’s been here we’ll be breaking even on our investment IMO.

An interesting debate here including sustainability meaning that income matches or excedes expenditure.
Good luck to COSU in trying to achieve that. This is a football club and is unlike the vast majority of other businesses. The only way they may succeed is by selling off or building on some of the land that is Roots Hall.

I think some people are getting a bit OTT. This doesn't mean that FGR or Barnet are bigger clubs than we are or that Promotion isn't the goal. If there wasn't a release clause I doubt that the Club would be accepting this offer.

Promotion is absolutely the goal not least because of the impact it would have on being able to reopen the Academy which is at the heart of what we want to be as a football club.

Maher’s already built one team. Now he’s going to have to build a second one.

This is going to be more of a challenge because you usually build a team around a spine. Here he has a number of players on multi year contracts assembled to play off of those spine players and now needs to find a spine for his team.

But all isn’t lost. He’d already signed Gubbins and Crowther at the back - we’ll have to wait to see which one gets the nod to replace Kensdale - and maybe we’ll now build around Josh Walker up front and try and find a partner to play to his specific strengths and weaknesses.

This reboot means automatic promotion is likely gone but there are six play-off spots up for grabs. I don’t see why they should be out of reach and they should be a very real goal. With a cup run we can rediscover the team spirit we had through adversity the last few years.

If they go, they go.. they will be replaced. I feel Cards won’t replicate last season anyway.. pre season wasn’t much anyway.
Ps, we’ve not brought in any loaners yet.

i wonder if cardwell will be any good at getting on the end of ben Tozer`s long throw in`s
The worst part of his game is his ability to jump/head. If he could improve that massively he would easily be a League One player possibly higher.

I think some people are getting a bit OTT. This doesn't mean that FGR or Barnet are bigger clubs than we are or that Promotion isn't the goal. If there wasn't a release clause I doubt that the Club would be accepting this offer.

Promotion is absolutely the goal not least because of the impact it would have on being able to reopen the Academy which is at the heart of what we want to be as a football club.
I was being a bit OTT although I am entitled to my opinion and simply stated that the harsh reality of where we are at has only just hit me. I maybe should pay more attention to other NL league teams but I am really only interested in us so in my ignorance I didn't realise a few weeks ago that we would be selling players to promotion rivals, 1st or 2nd division yes but I honestly didn't see other NL teams stripping our best assets 🤦🏼‍♂️

My fear now is who's next, GSM, JB, Colin? I hope this doesn't start an exodus after all we have been through.

If Barnet and FGR are at the top fighting for promotion as everyone expects and they subsequently go in to the football league then of course they will be bigger than us other than they might add a couple of hundred on their meagre attendances.

I just feel for Kev, never a week goes by without a drama.

Last edited:
Losing your best striker to Forest ****ing Green. That's a low point
Unfortunately, it just becomes impossible when clubs like that who have the backing to be able to throw silly money at players. I wouldn't hold it against him, if another company offered to massively increase my wage I would be off.

The money even in this league is just becoming stupid.

Back