• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
All very encouraging. In the short term though, it will still to be difficult to increase non matchday revenue.

However, at least the Council are very much on board, so hopefully work on the renovation can begin next Summer.

I wonder then, what the timescale now is for moving to the new training ground? Obviously that needs to be brought up to scratch, but I'd like to think we'll vacate B&L sooner rather than later so Ron can get on with FF.

My main issue with Roots Hall (apart from the fact that it's a ****hole) is that the West stand is cut off from the rest of the ground. Go to somewhere like Barnet, for example, where you can walk all the way round the perimeter of the ground and reach all the facilities pretty easily.

In the West stand, without taking a half hour round trip you can't even get to the club shop. That is a lot of people that don't bother.

Personally I was all for a new stadium, and unless far more room is made around the perimeter I still will be. In my mind we're in danger of settling for 2nd best.

What is happening with the 2 million pounds new training ground Is it going to be used Or will it be more money wasted by Ron

All very encouraging. In the short term though, it will still to be difficult to increase non matchday revenue.

Unfortunately, Ron has spoon fed us that line for decades and it’s had the illusory truth effect.

I wonder then, what the timescale now is for moving to the new training ground? Obviously that needs to be brought up to scratch, but I'd like to think we'll vacate B&L sooner rather than later so Ron can get on with FF.

As far as I’m aware, we’ve already vacated B&L. We’re currently training at RH, as the pitches at B&L are ****ed.

There’s also a pile of **** dumped outside the main building, which looks very much like the old place has been gutted.

But we can’t get onto the new training ground yet, as the pitches there aren’t up to scratch either, and we have no other infrastructure in place.

My main issue with Roots Hall (apart from the fact that it's a ****hole) is that the West stand is cut off from the rest of the ground. Go to somewhere like Barnet, for example, where you can walk all the way round the perimeter of the ground and reach all the facilities pretty easily.

In the West stand, without taking a half hour round trip you can't even get to the club shop. That is a lot of people that don't bother.

Personally I was all for a new stadium, and unless far more room is made around the perimeter I still will be. In my mind we're in danger of settling for 2nd best.
You can walk from the West to the South Lower and out that way. Still a pain but saves going the ‘long way round’.

Ron’s original plans for FF might’ve worked you feel, had the stadium been built 20 years ago. But the whole project had become a bit farcical really, with the revised plans etc. What upset me more than the empty field in the end was the state RH was allowed to deteriorate into. Annoyed me every time I saw those stadium photos on the buildings on Vic Ave.

Maybe a new stadium will arrive in future. For now I’m much encouraged by what @Sherif H has had to say, gives me hope we can spruce up the old place.

Unfortunately, Ron has spoon fed us that line for decades and it’s had the illusory truth effect.

As far as I’m aware, we’ve already vacated B&L. We’re currently training at RH, as the pitches at B&L are ****ed.

There’s also a pile of **** dumped outside the main building, which looks very much like the old place has been gutted.

But we can’t get onto the new training ground yet, as the pitches there aren’t up to scratch either, and we have no other infrastructure in place.
In fairness to TB, there isn't really any prospect of increasing non matchday revenue revenue until any redevelopment has taken place and we have conference facilities that can be used on a daily basis.

As for B&L, I'd heard something similar. However, wouldn't that mean there's an even greater need to get the new training ground ready? At least in my mind there is!

I think there is some scope at RH to make improvements and I have always wanted to stay.
If they can purchase the flats and shops and knock down the club shop that would give room to move The car park down further and then move the club shop into the main stand alongside building other rooms that can operate on non match days.
I would even go far to suggest we could even possibly move the pitch around but I would definitely like to see the ability to walk completely around the stadium rather that what we are having to do now in order to get to the Weststand.
Now we are staying and the ground is for improvement I would happily move from my seat in the west while work goes on and I am sure like myself others would be only too happy to help with this where we can

I wonder what sort of maximum capacity a renovated Roots Hall could have? 10,000? 12,000? 15,000?

Or is Roots Hall just a five to ten year stopgap while another site for a new stadium is found?
I wonder what sort of maximum capacity a renovated Roots Hall could have? 10,000? 12,000? 15,000?

Or is Roots Hall just a five to ten year stopgap while another site for a new stadium is found?
There wont be a new stadium It is possable to rebuild new stands at the hall one at a time .Starting with the west.Relocate the fans that use to west to the north bank .Put the small amount of away fans in one corner of the east .Things like this has been done in other grounds .So why not the hall .

Back