• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football league suspended until April 4th

No way can they contemplate declaring the season null and void or terminated at a given point. Legal minefields for promotion and relegation issues. It will all start again in April if necessary behing closed doors with two games a week to catch up.
That April date has been plucked out of the ether.
The informed prognosis is that a 12-24 week infectious rate is nearer the truth.
Even if games were played behind closed doors, what do players do in the meanwhile? Sit at home?
Let's assume for one mad moment there is no training; self-isolation still only pertains to those feeling unwell or downright infected.
So how guaranteed is it that 32 plus players and around 30 staff would not pass it on to each other behind said closed doors?

Appreciate that- I think they do mean suspend training however, so we read it differently. We will see soon enough I guess though.

You’re right. All training has been cancelled for this week & next, as far as I’m aware.

No way can they contemplate declaring the season null and void or terminated at a given point. Legal minefields for promotion and relegation issues. It will all start again in April if necessary behing closed doors with two games a week to catch up.
The April timeline is very optimistic, the peak of this is meant to be 10-14 weeks away, they're talking about cancelling the Euros. Realistically the league likely wouldn't be ready to resume until the 20/21 season is meant to start and that's a minefield in itself if you try to resume because key players will be out of contract by then, not to mention the 20/21 season would then have to be postponed (although that isn't quite as bad since the league could just end a couple of months later than usual).

Why should anybody bale out the clubs? What about people who will not get paid when everything closes down and a recession could be the outcome. Southampton posts a massive loss, heard that Aston Villa sold their ground to help clear their debts (if true), West Ham no ground to sell if any problems. What happens to Sky when there are no games to broadcast. The time appears right for a reorganisation of football to make it more sustainable and I hope it happens.

A suspension is better than behind closed doors as that = loss of income. If suspended the games will be played (hopefully) and thus c,ubs should not lose too much money. PLayers / staff etc are paid monthly (usually!!) so that would of happened anyway.

I would not do the playoffs this season, extend the season through to when they were due to finish and play all suspended games in that period and finish the season.

Am sure there are reasons not to do that though

Most scenarios suggest that Southend United FC will disappear. It's how we eventually regain an EFL club in Southend that should be concerning us now.......Oh, and whether we will be alive to see it.

Back