• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football league suspended until April 4th

If the spread of the virus was such that the remainder of the season was cancelled then presumably we would remain in FL1 next season because we have not yet reached the point where we are already relegated. Obviously this logic only holds up if we still have a club to support.?

I would think either the season is null and void (i.e. as if nothing had happened). So they will be desperate to finish it if they can.

If the EFL started promoting and relegating some teams and not others based on a crystal ball they would enter a legal blizzard- but the uncertainty will now continue for weeks until a final decision is made.. The EFLs legal position will be that every other country has cancelled games, UEFA has suspended their competition, the Premier League has, other sports have, they are doing the right thing and can't be held responsible for the action or inaction of the government here. It would have be far better had the politicians led.

There can’t be many League 1 or 2 clubs who can survive without that level of income coming in. The FL have got to put some sort of plan in place to ensure clubs don’t go bust over this. The amount of money in the Premiership etc. now is the time for it to really start trickling down.

Failing that, would we as a club not have some sort of insurance for this sort of thing?

There can’t be many League 1 or 2 clubs who can survive without that level of income coming in. The FL have got to put some sort of plan in place to ensure clubs don’t go bust over this. The amount of money in the Premiership etc. now is the time for it to really start trickling down.

Failing that, would we as a club not have some sort of insurance for this sort of thing?

Business continuity insurance? Good question. And what would it cover. Another talking point

I think they have taken this decision far too early. The chief science and chief medical officer have both said that they were not advising football stadiums to be closed. Such closures may well be necessary but not for another six weeks or so.

If no support is provided I suspect that many League 1 and 2 clubs will collapse. Macclesfield and Southend were specifically mentioned on Radio Four's Today programme this morning. I doubt that the EFL and the government would wish to see a dozen football clubs disappear so this may work out well in the long run but how many of us oldsters will still be around to see it? I must wash my hands......

And so the EFL statement suspending until "at least" April 3 also adds:

"In addition, clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings."

So no training. If as very likely the suspension continues beyond April 3rd the players won't have trained for weeks..

So on one hand we could avoid relegation if the season is cancelled, and then on the other we may not exist as this could bankrupt us. Let's also not forget the impact of the last financial crisis and how it pushed Ron to the brink, this could tip us over the edge.

One thing I did read was a government plan to support small businesses, surely given the number of employees (-100?) we may be considered a small business.

The PL have billions in their coffers, they also need to cascade money down the pyramid to help prop up football in this country.

I honestly thought this season could not get any worse, and it just has.

Thought 1

We have a serious chance that the EFL season will now be terminated in full on the 3rd of April. If they delay the season again on this date for 4 weeks. Clubs will not be not only be able to pay players, but won't have players to play as contracts will be finished and none of them will stay as we simply don't have the money to pay them.

Thought 2

The loan RM has been trying to arrange. This loan would simply not be possible. Anyone in there right mind willing to loan SUFC / RM money right now would be simply stupid.

BUT

Is this actually a bad thing for us? I believe this is going to effect numerous amounts of EFL clubs. Potentially any side in the bottom 4 - 6 of the Championship, L1 & L2. Surely the EFL can't allow this to kill the whole 92 structure and will at some point have to get involved and actually Corona Virus could be a life saver for SUFC?

And so the EFL statement suspending until "at least" April 3 also adds:

"In addition, clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings."

So no training. If as very likely the suspension continues beyond April 3rd the players won't have trained for weeks..

I don't think training ground visits means no training. I think it's people like you and me visiting the training ground.

No way can they contemplate declaring the season null and void or terminated at a given point. Legal minefields for promotion and relegation issues. It will all start again in April if necessary behing closed doors with two games a week to catch up.

Back