• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RM will mess Tilson around over his wages for as long as possible - i.e. won't pay him - hoping Tilson gets another job and will accept a derisory offer in settlement - the chances of Tilson or his agent getting RM into court and getting RM to pay up every penny are just about non-existant -

I'm interested, how do you work that out?

life experience - if some-one has thousands of pounds of money owed to you and they don't want to give it to you its very hard to get it -

at the end of the day HMRC i.e. the government, are being given the run around - so Tilson, his agent, the League managers association, whatever lawyers they can afford, the PFA etc etc can expect a long drawn out and very expensive battle that will go on for at least two years - and will then probably be settled on the day for the hearing with a large prpotion of the disputed monies going to law firms - or accept a small proportion of the contracted amount as full and final settlemnt -

i wonder how much Adam Barrat is owed ?

To be honest I don't feel that, other than a lifelong SUFC fan with millions to spare, there is a great deal of alternative left to RM and that supporting the bloke , whatever I may actually feel about him is the best I can do.

Spot on. We own nothing and have conciderable mounting debts against our club, other than finding a "Genie" or "Lepricorn" we are stuffed. Ron has the best poker hand you can get and we as fans are holding....a pair! I like to think that as a club I am ever hopefull, but I have never gone into a season with as much trepidation as this one. Whilst applauding those who feel that a protest would achieve something even if I join in, sadly I dont feel that he will give a rats s**t and will do as he wants regardless. I have renewed mine and my sons season tickets before all the events of the last month unfolded and shall attend home matches simply because I can shout and vent my anger at the chairman, maybe next season I will feel differently if our club is still here.

"Boycott a game" then its goodby Southend UTD imo.....reading some of these threads really makes me think how shrimperzone has become a place for so called supporters to somehow want the worse to happen. At the end of the day we are powerless to make decisions, from signings to new stadiums, If we go under then thats the time to mope and moan, but until we do we have to keep faith and enjoy what we have, for us its all about results not matters off the pitch, boycotting would just be so negative, clearly it isnt the majority of fans who hate ron as was evident at the protest.....okay maybe 90% of shrimperzoners that want ron out. How many SZ are registered compared to how many regularly attend, This forum has become Politically biased. Nothing stopping anyone posting their thoughts and airing their opinions but i for one wont get hung up or concerned over the off the field matters coz i dont have a clue about running a club, I do however love supporting southend from the terraces, something i have been doing for over 30 years and hopefully will continue to, my only thought for the future of southend, being optimistic as ever i see us movng to a new stadium and with that sustainable championship/prem (in my dreams) football, the sad thing is the future fans will not have the oppotunity of enjoying Boston On a Tuesday night, or a pie at Kidderminster pre match banter, so looking forward to Accrington, Morecambe Burton even, and making the most of these days before we end up another Ipswich or Norwich ......

"Boycott a game" then its goodby Southend UTD imo.....reading some of these threads really makes me think how shrimperzone has become a place for so called supporters to somehow want the worse to happen. At the end of the day we are powerless to make decisions, from signings to new stadiums, If we go under then thats the time to mope and moan, but until we do we have to keep faith and enjoy what we have, for us its all about results not matters off the pitch, boycotting would just be so negative, clearly it isnt the majority of fans who hate ron as was evident at the protest.....okay maybe 90% of shrimperzoners that want ron out. How many SZ are registered compared to how many regularly attend, This forum has become Politically biased. Nothing stopping anyone posting their thoughts and airing their opinions but i for one wont get hung up or concerned over the off the field matters coz i dont have a clue about running a club, I do however love supporting southend from the terraces, something i have been doing for over 30 years and hopefully will continue to, my only thought for the future of southend, being optimistic as ever i see us movng to a new stadium and with that sustainable championship/prem (in my dreams) football, the sad thing is the future fans will not have the oppotunity of enjoying Boston On a Tuesday night, or a pie at Kidderminster pre match banter, so looking forward to Accrington, Morecambe Burton even, and making the most of these days before we end up another Ipswich or Norwich ......

You will find that the % of people on Szone happy or unhappy on any subject will represent the % of people in the stadium.

At present Id say most people are unhappy with the running of the club, its just the degree of what people believe is required that differs.

Some believe that Ron Martin should leave instantly and others believe he is the only option at present. I doubt theres very few who think he is the 'right' option anymore.

If thats the case then there is some disgrace, but "apparently" would mean you are not 100% sure that this is the case.

I felt it was better to be less than 100% in the circumstances, don't wish to cause any problems, legal or otherwise.

And as to Adam, well, he and Macca both, by my understanding, waived money that was owed to get out of their contracts to be free to seek employment elsewhere.

I felt it was better to be less than 100% in the circumstances, don't wish to cause any problems, legal or otherwise.

And as to Adam, well, he and Macca both, by my understanding, waived money that was owed to get out of their contracts to be free to seek employment elsewhere.

They could get out of their contracts anyway through non payment, they didnt need to compromise.

RM will mess Tilson around over his wages for as long as possible - i.e. won't pay him - and time consumong and difficult pursuing unpaid monies - RM has probably been "stiffing" people like this for all his working life ....

Do you base this on facts or is it just a guess?

I think it has more to do with the fact that, with Tilson still under contract, we'd be due nominal compensation from any club interested in taking him on... Whether that will outweigh what Tilson is still owed remains to be seen.

No club is going to pay us compensation for a manager we've sacked. They'd be doing us a favour by taking his (not insubstantial) wages off our wage-book and as such we'd have no negotiating position whatsoever.

I think its more a case of future wages, Tilly will be intitled to be paid for the duration of his contract (another 3 years) which the club haven't got, So keep him on Gradening leave so he looks for another job, when he gets it we cancel his contract and off he goes.

Standard practice IIRC , if it can be got around constructive dismissal regulations. Plus what ESB said about future employers

Exactly. We haven't got 3 years' wages (maybe £300,000?) to pay Tilly as a lump sum. So we'll continue to pay him each month (well, try to) until he finds another club. That way he isn't financially disadvantaged at all.

There's no disgrace over the way his sacking was handled, just disappointment that it came to an end.

The disgrace would be over the late payment of wages, not the way his sacking was handled.

I am sure there are 'winners' in Sturrocks lot that will battle and play in exactly the same for Southend as Macca did, so in my opinion yes they should be supported in exactly the same way.

God, let's hope not.

You will find that the % of people on Szone happy or unhappy on any subject will represent the % of people in the stadium.

At present Id say most people are unhappy with the running of the club, its just the degree of what people believe is required that differs.

Some believe that Ron Martin should leave instantly and others believe he is the only option at present. I doubt theres very few who think he is the 'right' option anymore.

SZ may be fairly representative of the fans in the stadium*, but threads are rarely representative because they tend to be dominated by those with the most forthright views. The silent majority is often those with no strong opinions either way on an issue and this group has little to gain by posting and so will be invariably under-represented. You can see this on SZ polls, which will often produce quite a different outcome to the discussion on the thread.

*although I'd suggest that as a sample it would be skewered more towards the hardcore fans, rather than the more casual fans.

SZ may be fairly representative of the fans in the stadium*, but threads are rarely representative because they tend to be dominated by those with the most forthright views. The silent majority is often those with no strong opinions either way on an issue and this group has little to gain by posting and so will be invariably under-represented. You can see this on SZ polls, which will often produce quite a different outcome to the discussion on the thread.

I'd suggest that many with more moderate opinions are probably scared off of posting them due to the fact that anyone who veers away from claiming that Ron Martin is an asset-stripping son of a bitch is labelled a rose-tinted apathetic apologist who enjoys licking the Chairman's arse.

ps I think Tilson only has one more year on his contract.

As What I have heard its to stop Steve Tilson talking to the Echo and BBC Essex... also there are no footie Jobs about so expect to see Steve a Canvey..lol

I think this one could have legs actually. Maybe that's why he was standing next to me at the Canvey Bradford game last week. ;)

I think this one could have legs actually. Maybe that's why he was standing next to me at the Canvey Bradford game last week. ;)

He will obviously get a football league club, if not before the season, then soon after when a team loses it's first four games.
The other thing is, as has been mentioned many times, he loves the Wickford area and being close to all his family. This may or may not make him a bit choosy with his offers.

Back