• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England

Gerrard and Lampard were past it in that heat and Gerrard's error sent us home and lost Liverpool the title.

If those 2 hadn't retired I bet Gerrard would have played on Monday.

What are you on about?

Gerrard and Lampard were past it in that heat and Gerrard's error sent us home and lost Liverpool the title.

Restructuring and rebuilding a team is a slow process. You simply can't tear apart a unit and build it from scratch, you do it over an amount of time and replace elements as and when they break down or become obsolete by better components. Lampard was replaced by Henderson before the tournament while Gerrard's experience and leadership were required because nobody else was perceived (and rightly so, probably) to possess the same characteristics, vital in any tournament situation.

That's what Hodgson's done over the last few years. Instead of a scorched earth policy that would've been counterproductive, units have been replaced as and when required. By the time France 2016 rolls around it'll be a completely different squad, but for the time being things are being allowed to take their time for the benefit of the squad and the players.

What you're after is an instant solution, but they don't exist in football.

Gerrard's error cost Liverpool the title? If I'm remembering it correctly that error made it 2-0 so they would have lost anyway and he was pretty instrumental in Liverpool's season. Henderson getting a 3 match suspension IMO made Liverpool lose the title since Liverpool didn't have a like for like replacement for him.

I really doubt Roy would have played them, he is preparing for a competition 2 years away, Roy is well aware they won't be suitable for selection then, Gerrard and Lampard probably retired because they realised this and wanted to bow out on their own terms.

Gerrard's slip cost them the first goal in their defeat against Chelsea. Chelsea got the second towards the end when Liverpool were throwing players forward.

It is harsh to blame it on Gerrard (even though I dislike the bloke) as he won them a lot of points in the first half of the season and they still won 12 out of 14 at the end.

And why should Gerrard not have gone to the World Cup? He was the best performing midfielder in the Premier League last year. Are you saying that because of one error he should not have gone? Because well then, we might as well take a squad of zero, because everyone makes errors. However Gerrard makes less than most, and has far more positive impacts for his club, than any other English player. And that's fact, not opinion. Why would you drop the highest performing Englishman in the Premier League ahead of your nations biggest tournament? Because of one slip? You bang on about Jonjo Shelvey, but he made a horrific mistake that cost Swansea a goal in his first game versus Liverpool, I guess that's him out too then. The point is, every player will make a mistake, it's about consistancy, and Gerrard last season was consistantly better, not just against players in his position, but against any other offensive Englishman. To focus on one mistake as reason not to have taken him is ridiculous.

And to say a man that scored thirteen goals and made thirteen assists cost Liverpool the title because of one slip, is quite frankly a farcical statement as well.

The fact that we're struggling to find a half decent player to replace him as a potential mainstay in the central midfield position is a testament to how much we needed him there for that tournament.

And why should Gerrard not have gone to the World Cup? He was the best performing midfielder in the Premier League last year. Are you saying that because of one error he should not have gone? Because well then, we might as well take a squad of zero, because everyone makes errors. However Gerrard makes less than most, and has far more positive impacts for his club, than any other English player. And that's fact, not opinion. Why would you drop the highest performing Englishman in the Premier League ahead of your nations biggest tournament? Because of one slip? You bang on about Jonjo Shelvey, but he made a horrific mistake that cost Swansea a goal in his first game versus Liverpool, I guess that's him out too then. The point is, every player will make a mistake, it's about consistancy, and Gerrard last season was consistantly better, not just against players in his position, but against any other offensive Englishman. To focus on one mistake as reason not to have taken him is ridiculous.

And to say a man that scored thirteen goals and made thirteen assists cost Liverpool the title because of one slip, is quite frankly a farcical statement as well.

The fact that we're struggling to find a half decent player to replace him as a potential mainstay in the central midfield position is a testament to how much we needed him there for that tournament.

Gerrard had under performed for England for ages,Look at Delph he slotted in quite well on Monday.Gerrard the master of the Hollywood pass which normally spun out of play,The build up games he looked shoddy and in the first game in the WC he was shocking yet Roy persevered with him.

Roy will probably only have one chance in the WC and he royally messed up with his tactics and selection.I admit Monday was refreshing to see Roy blood the likes of Delph.

This group is laughable as we will qualify no danger but the fun will begin in France.

Gerrard had under performed for England for ages,Look at Delph he slotted in quite well on Monday.Gerrard the master of the Hollywood pass which normally spun out of play,The build up games he looked shoddy and in the first game in the WC he was shocking yet Roy persevered with him.

Roy will probably only have one chance in the WC and he royally messed up with his tactics and selection.I admit Monday was refreshing to see Roy blood the likes of Delph.

This group is laughable as we will qualify no danger but the fun will begin in France.

No. Something you consistantly forget, both in England and Southend, is that football is a team sport. I know it's easier to process blaming individuals than assesing the team as an entire unit, but that's not the case (take solely blaming Gerrard for a header on the half way line, when the ball criminally travelled past both our centre halves without so much as a challenge for example). England as a team, had been performingly averagely, but because of the unrealistic expectations the likes of yourself (moaning about 4-0 victories away to Moldova) and the media, there's this view that England are underperforming. We're not. We're a small nation with a limited supply of players. And a side that's currently in a transitional phase.

I actually think it's amazing that someone would have actively choosen to exclude the best performing Englishman in the Premier League. It really is a case of youth over ability / form / merit fopr you isn't it?

And for the record, the Hollywood long balls that spin out of play is another thing you've made up, probably based on seeing one or two go out of play...

As you can see, Gerrard appeared in the top five of pretty much all the key attributes you'd want in a midfielder last season, and outperformed almost every English defender and striker in their key roles. And you'd would of left him out of the World Cup squad for Jonjo Shelvey, who oddly appears nowhere, and Tom huddlestone, appears just once, below Gerrard in the Hollywood ball section actually.

No doubt that you will still assertain that Gerrard is still a terrible player, centreing on that one slip, ignoring every other thing he has done.

Accurate Long Balls (Only four outfield players appear in this list)
10. Jagielka
15. Gerrard
17. Barry
20. Huddlestone

Accurate Through balls
1. Wilshire
10. Johnson (Bradley)
12. Sturridge
13. Gerrard
14. Henderson

Key Passes per game
11. Gerrard
13. Downing
14. Rooney
16. Lallana
19. Westwood

Assists
1. Gerrard
3. Lambert
3. Rooney
12. Sturridge
15. Henderson

Ave P. Per game
2. Carrick
5. Barry
7. Gerrard
13. Britton
16. Henderson

Pass Success
11. Britton
12. Terry
17. Stones
18. Cleverley
20. Colback

Goals
  1. Sturridge
  2. Rooney
  3. Rodriguez
  4. Lambert
  5. Gerrard

Successful Dribbles per game
3. Sterling
4. Townsend
6. Barkley
12. Wilshire
14. Lallana

Most tackles per game
3. Flanagan
15. Ward
16. Sidwell
19. Delph
20. Gerrard

No. Something you consistantly forget, both in England and Southend, is that football is a team sport. I know it's easier to process blaming individuals than assesing the team as an entire unit, but that's not the case (take solely blaming Gerrard for a header on the half way line, when the ball criminally travelled past both our centre halves without so much as a challenge for example). England as a team, had been performingly averagely, but because of the unrealistic expectations the likes of yourself (moaning about 4-0 victories away to Moldova) and the media, there's this view that England are underperforming. We're not. We're a small nation with a limited supply of players. And a side that's currently in a transitional phase.

I actually think it's amazing that someone would have actively choosen to exclude the best performing Englishman in the Premier League. It really is a case of youth over ability / form / merit fopr you isn't it?

And for the record, the Hollywood long balls that spin out of play is another thing you've made up, probably based on seeing one or two go out of play...

As you can see, Gerrard appeared in the top five of pretty much all the key attributes you'd want in a midfielder last season, and outperformed almost every English defender and striker in their key roles. And you'd would of left him out of the World Cup squad for Jonjo Shelvey, who oddly appears nowhere, and Tom huddlestone, appears just once, below Gerrard in the Hollywood ball section actually.

No doubt that you will still assertain that Gerrard is still a terrible player, centreing on that one slip, ignoring every other thing he has done.

Accurate Long Balls (Only four outfield players appear in this list)
10. Jagielka
15. Gerrard
17. Barry
20. Huddlestone

Accurate Through balls
1. Wilshire
10. Johnson
12. Sturridge
13. Gerrard
14. Henderson

Key Passes per game
11. Gerrard
13. Downing
14. Rooney
16. Lallana
19. Westwood

Assists
1. Gerrard
3. Lambert
3. Rooney
12. Sturridge
15. Henderson

Ave P. Per game
2. Carrick
5. Barry
7. Gerrard13. Britton
16. Henderson

Pass Success
11. Britton
12. Terry
17. Stones
18. Cleverley
20. Colback

Goals
  1. Sturridge
  2. Rooney
  3. Rodriguez
  4. Lambert
  5. Gerrard
Successful Dribbles per game
3. Sterling
4. Townsend
6. Barkley
12. Wilshire
14. Lallana

Most tackles per game
3. Flanagan
15. Ward
16. Sidwell
19. Delph
20. Gerrard

I have never said Gerrard was a crap player I just said he was crap playing for England he is not the first who failed to transfer league form to the international stage.I never stated anything regarding our hopes in the WC apart from if we got out of the group we have done well.

You say we are a small country yet tiny nations performed better than us and progressed further check your geography!

Remember when I said to you long before the WC began that Gerrard would be a poor choice ,Do you think I was right or wrong.

I have never said Gerrard was a crap player I just said he was crap playing for England he is not the first who failed to transfer league form to the international stage.I never stated anything regarding our hopes in the WC apart from if we got out of the group we have done well.

You say we are a small country yet tiny nations performed better than us and progressed further check your geography!

Remember when I said to you long before the WC began that Gerrard would be a poor choice ,Do you think I was right or wrong.

You said he was a terrible player. Same difference. It's just another example of you sensationalising.

What does smaller nation's over achieving have to do with my geography?

And remember when I replied to you, we don't have anyone who could play that role better? He didn't have a great World Cup, and that's easy to say in hindsight. But you still need to pick players on form. Over the course of last season, that was Gerrard.

Because he'd been **** for England for the last decade, his motor has gone, he gives the ball away too often and he plays for Liverpool.

I guess that's Henderson, Sturridge and Sterling out the squad then?

A lot of his sub-par performances were down to a variety of managers trying to shoe horn him into the side with Lampard: And because Lamaprd was so one dimensional and didn't have the same level of versatility as Gerrard, it often left Gerrard out wide. If you play a player out of position, particularly against players of international pedigree, then that player will find it hard to replicate the form he enjoys at club level. He still managed 18 goals and I'd imagine a hefty number of assists over that decade though.

Don't get me wrong, he's not what he was, and now is the right time to try and create a new central midfield partnership. However, for the World Cup in Brasil he was the right choice to take.

I guess that's Henderson, Sturridge and Sterling out the squad then?

A lot of his sub-par performances were down to a variety of managers trying to shoe horn him into the side with Lampard: And because Lamaprd was so one dimensional and didn't have the same level of versatility as Gerrard, it often left Gerrard out wide. If you play a player out of position, particularly against players of international pedigree, then that player will find it hard to replicate the form he enjoys at club level. He still managed 18 goals and I'd imagine a hefty number of assists over that decade though.

Don't get me wrong, he's not what he was, and now is the right time to try and create a new central midfield partnership. However, for the World Cup in Brasil he was the right choice to take.

I'm a little reluctant to drop Henderson, who was quietly impressive, and Sterling, who is a massive talent but I'd be whispering in their ears that they need to move to a big club, preferably abroad.

I would actually leave Sturridge out of the starting XI. Huge talent but he's looking like another Liverpool under-performer, joining Gerrard, John Barnes, Glen Johnson, David James and it hurts me to say it but Stan Collymore:'(

That club is a blackhole for international talent.

I've asked this before but who was their last good player for England?

I'm a little reluctant to drop Henderson, who was quietly impressive, and Sterling, who is a massive talent but I'd be whispering in their ears that they need to move to a big club, preferably abroad.

I would actually leave Sturridge out of the starting XI. Huge talent but he's looking like another Liverpool under-performer, joining Gerrard, John Barnes, Glen Johnson, David James and it hurts me to say it but Stan Collymore:'(

That club is a blackhole for international talent.

I've asked this before but who was their last good player for England?

Steven Gerrard, arguably had good spells for England. But if you're looking at a player that truly excited, then Michael Owen.

Edit: I also agree on Sturridge actually, I'd happily settle on Wellbeck and Rooney through the middle with Sterling supporting. Just need to work out who the other two are to partner Henderson long term in the rest of the diamond.

Because he'd been **** for England for the last decade, his motor has gone, he gives the ball away too often and he plays for Liverpool.

He wasn't **** for the whole decade.

Gerrard went from being a massive underachiever in a white shirt to consistently one of our best players as soon as he got the armband. It's another thing I dislike about him.

He wasn't **** for the whole decade.

Gerrard went from being a massive underachiever in a white shirt to consistently one of our best players as soon as he got the armband. It's another thing I dislike about him.

Agreed, he was by far our best player at the euro's

Back