• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Defensive issues

Can I just take issue with one comment. Every player no matter how good can make mistakes. I dislike the phrase " has a mistake in him". They all have even Haaland !

I couldn't agree with you more on this point. Every player has it in them to take risks, make decisions that lead to mistakes. Even the best. I saw that at first hand and personally last week with Haaland.

The point that I was trying to make was that some individuals on here painting both Kensdale and Miley as individuals that largely contributed to our previous strong defensive record. I disagree with this. There were others and those are still getting regular game time and they are therefore contributing to our current defensive woes.

I couldn't agree with you more on this point. Every player has it in them to take risks, make decisions that lead to mistakes. Even the best. I saw that at first hand and personally last week with Haaland.

The point that I was trying to make was that some individuals on here painting both Kensdale and Miley as individuals that largely contributed to our previous strong defensive record. I disagree with this. There were others and those are still getting regular game time and they are therefore contributing to our current defensive woes.
They both played a part, but one of the biggest losses is Harry Cardwell. When we defended set pieces Cardwell more often than not won the defensive header. Still it is a problem Kevin has to solve and start the rebuild that needs to happen. Not all at once mind. Had hoped Crowther would be an answer given regular game time, but I am not so sure as yet. Ralph is a better wing back than Jack, primarily because he is streets ahead of Jack defensively, but can also go outside players because he is left footed. Anyway it isn't my opinion that matters it is Kevin's and he will sort it in time.

They both played a part, but one of the biggest losses is Harry Cardwell. When we defended set pieces Cardwell more often than not won the defensive header. Still it is a problem Kevin has to solve and start the rebuild that needs to happen. Not all at once mind. Had hoped Crowther would be an answer given regular game time, but I am not so sure as yet. Ralph is a better wing back than Jack, primarily because he is streets ahead of Jack defensively, but can also go outside players because he is left footed. Anyway it isn't my opinion that matters it is Kevin's and he will sort it in time.

Again I am agreeing to something that you post 😉

The point that you make about Cardwell is spot on. Despite him not being a defender, he was a major influence in our defensive statistics last season. Primarily as a contributor.

As for the other points you male again I understand your logic and argument without having anything to counteract.

As for your closing remark. It's 100% with Kevin to have the same positive impact on the squad that he was able to achieve last season.

Confidence is a massive factor in performance levels and there are only so many times you can take a knock before a crack appears. The team were stalwarts during the protracted sale of the club, the uncertainty and pay issues. I suspect many of the players, like the fans, thought the new era was a good time to have a tilt at success. Then with further issues like Olliegate and Cardwell going and it would be easy to feel deflated. Add to that the limited recruitment, the questionable selections and tactics and it becomes a perfect storm in the minds of some. Steadying voices like JD and Dave Martin disappeared and the changing room lacks the leadership. Looking at the performances on the pitch and leadership is probably the most glaring absence.

Firstly Moncur rocks up. He looked initially unfit but had the Rolls Royce about him and I think he will be a major contributor. Then Wind blows in. Untried at this level, looks bright, but yet to get a good chance. Bonne comes along and although he may come good, he has thus far looked pants. Maybe just lacking the target man alongside him. Then the likes of Pepple, grafter but naive, Forson has potential and then Foran. What level of desperation were we drowning in to bring Foran in, at a moments notice and chuck him into the ccb role with such limited experience? Other players could have shuffled about and let them think Maher still believed in his ' heroes' . Instead they got slapped in the face and told the gaffer preferred an inexperienced kid to play in their place and whom subsequently looked poor.

There needs to be a shift from top down to bring back any modicum of confidence. Last season, I may not have agreed with Maher's tactics, but he appeared to be a man manager. I fail to see that this season and I hope he looks in the mirror and learns how to trust, lift and motivate the team again. We need a few new bodies but we need confidence even more.

Back