• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Defensive issues

I didn't think Collins kicking was that bad in the game at the weekend. Saw him practicing his kicking before the match and it was going to where Hilson was with pretty good accuracy. I guess they could practice his kicking where its passed back to him after we try and play it out and there is an opponent chasing the ball.

During the match he did one kick through the middle to which Bonne managed to win a header. Kev absolutely berated Collin and made the sign to kick to the wings rather than through the middle. But then he kicks to the wings and it goes out for a throw and Kev turns his back on Collin and gestures with his arm in frustration.

My thoughts for Taylor in DM i
It's not his fault in some ways. Honestly my son (who was a damn good goalie) has never been sold on him, tbh me neither, has made some great saves yes and benefitted from playing behind a great defence, however if my son and I can see he's not the one then so should the coaching team.
I refuse to believe that there isn't a 3rd choice keeper somewhere in the EFL that wouldn't jump at the chance at a loan down here. They see him, they must know, stop trotting him out there when he's in a bad place.
In many ways Colin reminds me of Mark Oxley who was also a great shotstopper and made some outstanding saves but occasionally suffered badly in situations where a bit of thought and composure was required.

Was discussing with someone after the game how much we miss Cardwell defensively. Four of our last six goals we have conceded have come from set pieces, (2 vs Maidenhead, Corner vs Gateshead, FK vs Wealdstone).
I used to say the same when he was playing for us - such an important player defending set pieces, he was often the one to head it away from danger.

Maher's very public reactions to Collin's kicking is instructive and not very conducive to restoring his confidence. Obviously we don't know what goes on behind closed doors but you imagine the exchanges are even more frank, shall we say. Are the man management skills of the present regime all they should be? Perhaps the current poor performances and obvious malaise is down to discontent and division in the dressing room.,

Chelsea have got at least four decent goalkeepers on their books - surely they can't all be happy just sitting around on a Saturday afternoon! Jørgensen was on the bench with Sánchez starting so let's have Bettinelli or Bergström on loan please!

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 09.41.07.png

Sad to read this. Collin's most impressive trait over the past couple of seasons has been his composure. I hope he can get his confidence back.

It is a shame that many fans would rather be negative towards him. I don't think he has been himself since Barnet away when the full away end behind him spent the first half panicking and berating every time he received the ball at his feet.

Some might say 'he needs to learn to cope with that'. I'd rather our own fanbase challenges the opposing goalkeeper to learn to cope with it each week, instead of our own one.
I agree with you but can you honestly name a club in English football where fans don't do the same? It's the culture of our game unfortunately. When you go to German games, it's totally different. I don't know if you noticed the Bayern fans at the end of the Villa game, all had their scarfs held aloft and the players applauding them. An English side's fans would be going mad. The connection the fans and players have is so good over there. Totally different approach and culture.

Last season aside, I've always felt it's why teams like Borehamwood have always done well. Their players have no fear because their 800 odd fans aren't expectant and therefore don't apply pressure. It's their spectators second team and are quite content no matter what happens. So their players treat it like a training game, playing with no fear. Compare that to 6k expectant fans, it's totally different. A lot of these players have never felt pressure like that. It's the downside to recruiting players that have predominantly played for smaller clubs. It's never about ability because as Moncur said, the quality between league one and NL isn't much at all. It's what goes on between the ears that makes the difference.

I agree with you but can you honestly name a club in English football where fans don't do the same? It's the culture of our game unfortunately. When you go to German games, it's totally different. I don't know if you noticed the Bayern fans at the end of the Villa game, all had their scarfs held aloft and the players applauding them. An English side's fans would be going mad. The connection the fans and players have is so good over there. Totally different approach and culture.
I get what you mean, but I'm not talking about accepting poor performances and clapping the team after every defeat here. I wouldn't expect that either.

My point is more that people should consider the impact they can have during the game. Making noises whilst Collin is in possession, then a giant moan/groan once he gives it away. It doesn't help. Instead we should be making a big fuss about opposition goalkeeper timewasting (hi Maidenhead) to heap pressure on the opposition, but those days are gone since we've become non-league for whatever reason. Even the referee walked off to silence twice. He would've got pelters at half-time a few years ago.

I get what you mean, but I'm not talking about accepting poor performances and clapping the team after every defeat here. I wouldn't expect that either.

My point is more that people should consider the impact they can have during the game. Making noises whilst Collin is in possession, then a giant moan/groan once he gives it away. It doesn't help. Instead we should be making a big fuss about opposition goalkeeper timewasting (hi Maidenhead) to heap pressure on the opposition, but those days are gone since we've become non-league for whatever reason. Even the referee walked off to silence twice. He would've got pelters at half-time a few years ago.
I agree too. Like I said, in German football, they back their team throughout. All chants are about their club. Just sing and chant throughout the 90. None of this goading away fans or slating their players.

It's so hard, because in the moment people do let their emotions get the better of them. I'm not innocent in this. I'll hold my hands up and say that I shouted forwards to Husin on Saturday. That was never going to help Noor was it, but I did it as the frustration built and built. I think two weeks away from the hall might be good for all linked to the club. Maybe a cup tie where 3 points aren't on the line may take the pressure off a little.

I agree with you but can you honestly name a club in English football where fans don't do the same? It's the culture of our game unfortunately. When you go to German games, it's totally different.
I used to have a German work contact who was a Stuttgart supporter home and away. He often spoke in the terms of 'our' Club when speaking about them. Obviously stems from the 'sporting club' approach and a 'membership' mentality. The buzz and entertainment comes from the 'belonging' and we are all in it together, arguably a deeper connection and outlook than going to the match just for the football.

I used to have a German work contact who was a Stuttgart supporter home and away. He often spoke in the terms of 'our' Club when speaking about them. Obviously stems from the 'sporting club' approach and a 'membership' mentality. The buzz and entertainment comes from the 'belonging' and we are all in it together, arguably a deeper connection and outlook than going to the match just for the football.
It absolutely is. The way I saw Kalou interact and applaud the fans when at a Hertha game was so different to his time at Chelsea. He won everything at Chelsea and would go straight down the tunnel. He was a player that had won everything and yet, he bought into the culture and mutual respect at Hertha. Incidentally, at the time, they were in the top 4 and just drew 2-2 to Hannover who were in the relegation zone. I said to the Hertha fan next to me, if this was a comparable team in the prem, a top 4 team drawing to a relegation team, it would be Armageddon. The support stayed constant, was so refreshing. Had the same when I went to a Hansa Rostock game last season. They were in the bottom 4 of the bundesliga 2 and the fans backed them continuously for 90 mins. Different world footy over there.

This is awful. I am as frustrated as everyone with the results at the moment but perhaps Beermonster's post needs to be shared with as many people as possible as a reminder that ALL the players are normal young men with emotions the same as all of us. It is a lot easier to do our own jobs when we are receiving praise or constructive feedback. None of us perform well if we are being constantly face with negativity. And very few of us have our mistakes criticised in front of an audience of thousands!
Also a bit prophetic that the lad is experiencing these feelings post a match that was chosen as a flagship for MIND

It absolutely is. The way I saw Kalou interact and applaud the fans when at a Hertha game was so different to his time at Chelsea. He won everything at Chelsea and would go straight down the tunnel. He was a player that had won everything and yet, he bought into the culture and mutual respect at Hertha. Incidentally, at the time, they were in the top 4 and just drew 2-2 to Hannover who were in the relegation zone. I said to the Hertha fan next to me, if this was a comparable team in the prem, a top 4 team drawing to a relegation team, it would be Armageddon. The support stayed constant, was so refreshing. Had the same when I went to a Hansa Rostock game last season. They were in the bottom 4 of the bundesliga 2 and the fans backed them continuously for 90 mins. Different world footy over there.
Similar to a game in Sweden I went to in the summer. Constant support for the whole game, even though they went behind relatively early. Also most of the chants were about the club rather than players - guess this means they can keep the same chants rather than needing to invent new ones.

Club chants are something I think has declined at RH over the past couple of decades haven't heard give me a S, or the longest pier you'll ever see for ages - seems more player chants nowadays.

The defence is currently the only element defending.
What's this about a team approach to defence? I thought Noor's attempt to stop the first Maidenhead goal typifies our shortcomings.
He looked surprised that an opposition player was behind him: the cheek of the guy trying to score against the mighty Blues!
It's been said a bazillion times that Bridge can't defend, so count him out. Bonne? Was he meant to be decorative?
For the aforesaid first it was seven against three, and still they scored.
At set pieces it's all about awareness and an on-your-toes approach.
We currently ain't got that.
Now, the $64 dollar question is why?
This time last season we won 2-0 at Woking. Missing from that defence on Saturday was Demi and Kensdale; Hayes was keeper.
But also missing from Saturday's debacle and present at Woking was Cards, Coker, and Miley.
Otherwise four of the same team including Taylor, Husin, and GSM were at Kingfield.
So, maybe the midfield might defend better for starters.

PS. Borrowing a keeper still costs. Some of those Chelsea suggestions will be on a good whack. Can we afford it? Maybe, Kev's got other outfield loanees in mind?

Similar to a game in Sweden I went to in the summer. Constant support for the whole game, even though they went behind relatively early. Also most of the chants were about the club rather than players - guess this means they can keep the same chants rather than needing to invent new ones.

Club chants are something I think has declined at RH over the past couple of decades haven't heard give me a S, or the longest pier you'll ever see for ages - seems more player chants nowadays.
Give me an S was sung on Saturday lol and is most games tbf.
Longest pier i'd love to hear again, very individual

Back