• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Defensive issues

The defence is currently the only element defending.
What's this about a team approach to defence? I thought Noor's attempt to stop the first Maidenhead goal typifies our shortcomings.
He looked surprised that an opposition player was behind him: the cheek of the guy trying to score against the mighty Blues!
It's been said a bazillion times that Bridge can't defend, so count him out. Bonne? Was he meant to be decorative?
For the aforesaid first it was seven against three, and still they scored.
At set pieces it's all about awareness and an on-your-toes approach.
We currently ain't got that.
Now, the $64 dollar question is why?
This time last season we won 2-0 at Woking. Missing from that defence on Saturday was Demi and Kensdale; Hayes was keeper.
But also missing from Saturday's debacle and present at Woking was Cards, Coker, and Miley.
Otherwise four of the same team including Taylor, Husin, and GSM were at Kingfield.
So, maybe the midfield might defend better for starters.

PS. Borrowing a keeper still costs. Some of those Chelsea suggestions will be on a good whack. Can we afford it? Maybe, Kev's got other outfield loanees in mind?
I was surprised a 5' 8" bloke was allocated a 6' 4" bloke to mark at a set piece.

Defending set pieces, taking Kensdale and Cardwell out of the equation has weakened us no end. No wonder we are struggling, it will get sorted. Talking about Collin, I think he more than anyone else is missing Kensdale, who was usually his favoured outlet.
One wonders whether the Kensdale situation has divided the team. We don't know the full facts neither should we. However, there may be some who thought the penalty harsh, while others would have supported the decision. Either way we have lost a very good player.

Defending set pieces, taking Kensdale and Cardwell out of the equation has weakened us no end. No wonder we are struggling, it will get sorted. Talking about Collin, I think he more than anyone else is missing Kensdale, who was usually his favoured outlet.
One wonders whether the Kensdale situation has divided the team. We don't know the full facts neither should we. However, there may be some who thought the penalty harsh, while others would have supported the decision. Either way we have lost a very good player.
On the kensdale situation I think it was a gut punch on so many levels....really hard for all at the club as well as Ollie himself. I know kev called it his toughest week when it all went down....

Husin wasn't even ball side of the attacker. Ralph was and he appeared to marking space as the ball floated over him and then dispatched into the net.
Defending for both goals, and the goal line clearance from another corner, was shocking. Cardwell and Kensdale big losses defending set pieces, but it needs addressing urgently. Bigger issue imo than Collins form.

I agree about Crowther playing on the right side. I wonder if, given what we have on our disposal, Taylor is the best bet to play in the Kensdale role.
We need what we haven’t got in the middle of the three. Ideally experience of the position, organisation, can cover for the RCB and LCB, ability on the ball and good distribution. Hence why Callum Butcher was in the frame when there was at least the hint of some transfer activity. That seems to have passed.

Back