• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Drastic™;1761203 said:
Theo Robinson got 7 goals in 48 games in lg1 last season.
Aaron McClean got 4 goals in 36 games in lg1 last season.
Mackail-Smith got 1 league goal for Brighton last season, and none for Peterborough in lg1.

Mooney got 9 goals in lg1.

What the hell have facts and Shrimperzone got to do with each other??? :thump:

I realistic think should be aiming to do a chesterfield and get into league 1 play offs but need a striker with pace to do that :thumbsup:

Total BS. Mooney had just scored 20 goals in a L1 playoff team little over a year ago - just because he doesn't have pace, doesn't mean he won't help us to do well in L1. Just look at the video of his goals that I posted up and see how well he does without lightning pace and with good service into his feet and head. Pace is not and never will be everything in a striker.

As for Wordsworth, 5 goals and 12 assists in Crawley's last 19 games last season would suggest he's far from rubbish. He would also be a very good signing for us at this level.

Either you're a deluded SUFC fan with unrealistic expectations and no clue or knowledge about players at this level, or you're not a fan and are just trolling. Either way you are chatting the most unbelieveable amount of crap.

Thank you JTSB you have just saved me posting exactly the same. The more MS posts convinces me more and more that he is a WUM, perhaps an Orient or Col U fan just doing this for a laugh (or is wiggy with a new username).

If I'm wrong and he IS genuine then he is indeed showing a spectacular lack of knowledge of players at this level, despite overwhelming statistical evidence to the contrary. I'm all for respecting people's opinions but when there is no attempt at any reasoning whatsoever there is only so much crap you can wade through before losing your patience.

Last edited:
wordsworth got relegated so did mooney last season proves how good they both are waste of mooney the pair :thumbdown:

Dean Saunders at Crawley stated that if Worsdworth and Richard Wood had been able to extend their loans at Crawley they'd have probably stayed up. Once again you have not bothered to read the link I posted twice now. But lets disregard that statement, clearly you know better than Saunders. And as for Wordsworth himself, tons of assists and a decent goal record from midfield in L1 last season. But yes he must be crap as Crawley went down after he left. Sound reasoning.....

As for Mooney he was benched for much of the season due to Orient's "£10k p/w" new strikers. But let's blame him for Orient's failure. And he only got 21 goals in L1 the season before. Disgraceful. He doesn't deserve to be a footballer.....

By the same token lets take certain players who have been relegated from the Premier League. What about that Wet Spam side that went down in the early noughties. A Wet Spam side containing the likes of Defoe, Carrick, Joe Cole, Glen Johnson, David James. These players never amounted to anything (well apart from all going on to win many caps each for England). Wet Spam went down though and they were all a part of that, therefore they were all utter crap - it stands to reason.

A more recent example is Dean Cox at Orient. Is he crap? He must be as Orient went down. Some idiots though (me included) would regard this player as one of the best wingers outside the Championship. God we're stupid......

Hearing Messi and Ronaldo are to undergo medicals at Roots Hall next week. That's if Brown gets the approval of Mr Stevart first.....

I realistic think should be aiming to do a chesterfield and get into league 1 play offs but need a striker with pace to do that :thumbsup:

To be fair to Mark, who I think is getting picked on a fair bit here, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting the team to go for promotion this season, or with wanting a striker with pace.

David Mooney isn't going to be our only striker though. We have Williams and hopefully we'll bring in a couple more including, probably, someone with pace.

Enjoying everyone commenting on how decent he looks in the video. Of course he looks good in the video - it's a compendium of all his goals, not of all the sitters he fluffed, times he got caught offside or penalties he passed straight to the keeper...!

I've already had my say on him elsewhere (in short: he's a bit crap), but I'm willing to put my money where my chippy cockney slag mouth is and bet that he'll not get anywhere near his freak season of two years ago again in his career.

Enjoying everyone commenting on how decent he looks in the video. Of course he looks good in the video - it's a compendium of all his goals, not of all the sitters he fluffed, times he got caught offside or penalties he passed straight to the keeper...!

I've already had my say on him elsewhere (in short: he's a bit crap), but I'm willing to put my money where my chippy cockney slag mouth is and bet that he'll not get anywhere near his freak season of two years ago again in his career.

You could probably say that of a lot of strikers. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the goals on that video are quality finishes with head and feet, showing a finishing touch of the type of quality we haven't had since the Barnard of 09/10. Of course you're going to say he's a bit crap, he's a rat deserting a sinking ship - many of our fans said the same (wrongly) of some of the players who scarpered from here when we went down in 09/10. That's the fickle football fan for you. Consistency aside, the video shows that Mooney has a lot of quality in his locker and you never know - the change of scenery and El Tango's style might coax more consistency and more goals out of him.

Of course you're going to say he's a bit crap, he's a rat deserting a sinking ship - many of our fans said the same (wrongly) of some of the players who scarpered from here when we went down in 09/10. That's the fickle football fan for you. Consistency aside, the video shows that Mooney has a lot of quality in his locker and you never know - the change of scenery and El Tango's style might coax more consistency and more goals out of him.

That's the third time you've made the point about me 'just saying it because he's leaving'. If that were true, then I'd also be telling all and sundry that I'm pleased Kevin Lisbie and Scott Cuthbert have gone. I'm not; I'm devastated. They were both absolute class.

I've never liked Mooney; not when he first arrived and couldn't hit a bovine's bottom, not when he went on an insane run for six weeks in the 12/13 season, not when he went back to being godawful again, not when he had his fluke season when Cox, Odubajo and Lisbie were putting everything on a plate for him and certainly not last season. I see a lot of posts about him being 'stuck behind our 10k a week strikers', but the truth is he made far more starts and appearances than either Henderson or Simpson, and (statistically) he was a catastrophic failure unless Chris Dagnall was on the pitch to do his running for him.

He has two decent feet, can finish when his confidence is up and is decent at slide-rule passes and other 'neat' aspects of play, but he is a luxury player who requires a specific kind of strike partner and a side that isn't struggling around him. And preferably a blind linesman.

That's the third time you've made the point about me 'just saying it because he's leaving'. If that were true, then I'd also be telling all and sundry that I'm pleased Kevin Lisbie and Scott Cuthbert have gone. I'm not; I'm devastated. They were both absolute class.

I've never liked Mooney; not when he first arrived and couldn't hit a bovine's bottom, not when he went on an insane run for six weeks in the 12/13 season, not when he went back to being godawful again, not when he had his fluke season when Cox, Odubajo and Lisbie were putting everything on a plate for him and certainly not last season. I see a lot of posts about him being 'stuck behind our 10k a week strikers', but the truth is he made far more starts and appearances than either Henderson or Simpson, and (statistically) he was a catastrophic failure unless Chris Dagnall was on the pitch to do his running for him.

He has two decent feet, can finish when his confidence is up and is decent at slide-rule passes and other 'neat' aspects of play, but he is a luxury player who requires a specific kind of strike partner and a side that isn't struggling around him. And preferably a blind linesman.

Good luck in League Two next season ����

He looks decent enough for me, similar to BBBC but with better feet and a more powerful head. So an upgrade! Watched that highlight video and we will need some good service from the wings in to him, seems that's where most of his goals come from. Confident worrall can provide that on the right but not too sure about the left. Also was impressed how he can recieve the ball and quickly spread it to the winger whose getting behind the defence, then his in the box for the ball in. Hopefully he won't be asked to hold it up constantly and lose thag part of his game.

We get that you don't like him JS. The good thing for you is that Mooney is now a Southend player in Division 1 of the FL. We could also be forgiven for thinking that you are just a tad brassed off at getting relegated to Division 2 given the extra vitriol you have put into some of your posts on here recently.

We will see what Mooney can do for ourselves and make our own minds up, but thanks for the heads up on your opinion. Have fun in Div 2, it's very hard to get out of once you're there, but I hope you get back up here with us soon so that we can see whether Mooney can do it for us against you. Two more local games and six points are always welcome. Anyway, I've wittered on long enough, enjoy the pre season and come back here soon and let us know about Orient's progress, we're always interested in what you have to say, you know that, especially how much fun it is for you.

Last edited:
While it is good to hear from a new signing's previous club's fans, joining a new club with a different atmosphere can change a player and see a change in fortunes. Mooney has his faults, of course he has otherwise he wouldn't have stayed at Orient for so long! :winking:

On a serious note, I'd rather see what a player can do in a Southend shirt before dismissing them as useless. IIRC the last player we signed who was at Orient was Marc Laird, with Jonny_S coming on saying he was useless and yet he did very well here. Another is Tomlin, which Dagenham fans said he was a complete waste yet he did very well here and got a move to a League 1 club.

and a more powerful head

Sorry, what?

Corr's heading ability is superb and there aren't many better in the lower leagues. Mooney it is acknowledged by Orient fans is not brilliant in the air at all despite his height.

Mooney does look a lot more technically gifted and mobile than Barry, but more powerful with his head? Really?

Sorry, what?

Corr's heading ability is superb and there aren't many better in the lower leagues. Mooney it is acknowledged by Orient fans is not brilliant in the air at all despite his height.

Mooney does look a lot more technically gifted and mobile than Barry, but more powerful with his head? Really?

This to me is key, Corr was good in the air and bullying defenders, but not that mobile and as gifted on the floor, although i think he was better than some gave him credit for. I hope this season we look to play the ball on the ground a bit more so having someone like Mooney in the side who offers the mobility that maybe Corr didnt will help with this. Also we need to remember that Mooney is the only striker at the club, so we can expect at least another 2 if not 3, he may not even be first choice.

Sorry, what?

I have to say that the headed goals Mooney scored in the video were as good as if not better than many of Corr's headed goals during his time here. I can't remember the last time I saw Corr score with a powerful and accurate header.....a looping one or two perhaps, or one where he makes a poor connection but it somehow finds its way into the goal anyway. He was better in the air when he first arrived but since his back and knee problems set in he's hardly been able to jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back