• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Danny Waldron Signs

Transfer news
100% this, maybe the hot weather is affecting some of our 'experts' on here.
We will not send him out on loan, no reason to do this. He is though 3rd in our list of strikers at present, it will down to him to move himself up the pecking order. To have a proper striker on the bench and challenging our current top 2 is positive, we don't want to play another CB up front after all.

This is a great signing! Joint-top goalscorer in the league below, still a good age, and fits the system.

I’ll aim to get a full scout report out for Monday evening, but here’s an extract from my recruitment document, which can be found here:

Makes no sense… pretty lines and numbers

100% this, maybe the hot weather is affecting some of our 'experts' on here.
I like him but the cold light of day the analysis has to be that the management team don’t seem convinced.

1. The only players offered a shorter deal in the Maher era have been Leon Davies, Chris Wreh and Demi;

2. He’s been noticeably second string in pre-season; and

3. we’re apparently chasing after another signing (Tshimanga) in his role (rather than a Cardwell back-up).

We say in Maher we trust but King Kev doesn’t seem to be trusting in Danny like he’s trusted in, say, Cards. I’ll be cheering him on and hoping he succeeds but right now he faces an uphill battle.

I like him but the cold light of day the analysis has to be that the management team don’t seem convinced.

1. The only players offered a shorter deal in the Maher era have been Leon Davies, Chris Wreh and Demi;

3. we’re apparently chasing after another signing (Tshimanga) in his role (rather than a Cardwell back-up).

We say in Maher we trust but King Kev doesn’t seem to be trusting in Danny like he’s trusted in, say, Cards. I’ll be cheering him on and hoping he succeeds but right now he faces an uphill battle.
Fair enough, and you could very well be bang on, but it’s not 100% certain you are. For example, I do wonder whether there could be a planned change of shape / formation which might muck up your analysis. On that point, I don’t think it (any potential / proposed change) would be evident from friendlies played so far for a variety of reasons.

I do wonder if Waldron is being used in the way he was used so effectively at his last club - whether our style of play really suits him .. but I guess time will tell and he's another option for us. I hope he comes good.

He definitely shows glimpses and we can't be too critical of anyone pre-season. Not everyone does suit the way Kev sets up, I'm thinking Wood, Mooney .. and it definitely to me feels that Cards-Walker will be the starting pair up top and that they are seeking a 4th option, striker wise. Get in a 4th striker that takes the pressure off and allows Waldron time to fit into our system. Bringing Danny on with 30 mins to go against tiring defences, threading balls through for him to run onto - can see this happening. Competition for places is no bad thing.

Fair enough, and you could very well be bang on, but it’s not 100% certain you are. For example, I do wonder whether there could be a planned change of shape / formation which might muck up your analysis. On that point, I don’t think it (any potential / proposed change) would be evident from friendlies played so far for a variety of reasons.

We can’t see what will happen past the first game but we can say with relative certainty that a) we will not be starting 3 forwards up front v York and b) that barring injury Waldron will not start v York.

I said on Saturday that I'm not sure that Waldron has done enough and may never be the player we had hoped.

Not quite goodship level but not Freddy.

I really hope he takes his chance this season but can't see him getting many starts if cards and walker are fit, more so if we sign another striker.
I don’t disagree with any of that but not quite Goodship and not Freddy describes all but a handful of forwards I’ve seen in a Southend shirt!

Then I’m really looking forward to him banging in the goals … (which of course he won’t )
He won't if he doesn't get much game time or the right service. If he gets both of those then will be the time to debate banging them in, or not. Last season we were banging on about not having an instinctive striker in the box and Danny was bought in by the three Magi to help solve that. Time will tell, but my money is on him being on the money given the chance.

On the times I saw him last season, l thought he had good pace, and was a finisher, both plusses in my book.

Where he needs to work for me was his first touch, which was below average and his upper body strength, as he was pushed off the ball far too easily for a forward of his size.

Both these areas were ones that l thought could be worked on and the knock in pre season obviously affected that.

However, was it Bobby Charlton that said in his autobiography, that to become two footed he'd spend 30 mins a day just kicking a ball against a wall with his weaker foot. That with both feet would improve his first touch and gym work and know how from Daz and Demi would cure protection of the ball.

More than enough to work on to become a threat for others and a benefit for us.

Backing Danny to get there, as he realises this is his best shot at a professional career and bet he won't give it up without a fight.

He won't if he doesn't get much game time or the right service. If he gets both of those then will be the time to debate banging them in, or not. Last season we were banging on about not having an instinctive striker in the box and Danny was bought in by the three Magi to help solve that. Time will tell, but my money is on him being on the money given the chance.
If he doesn’t get much game time (barring serious injury) it’ll be because the three magi don’t seem to think he’s quite good enough.

And this summer is absolutely the time to debate this because if the management think he isn’t good enough they need to assign a fair chunk of their budget to signing a replacement. If they believe he’s good enough they should extend his contract.

If he doesn’t get much game time (barring serious injury) it’ll be because the three magi don’t seem to think he’s quite good enough.

And this summer is absolutely the time to debate this because if the management think he isn’t good enough they need to assign a fair chunk of their budget to signing a replacement. If they believe he’s good enough they should extend his contract.
You have no more idea about the management team thinking than I do. If another forward is bought in, and it's looking likely, then it will be perming any two from 4, which was always their aim?

Is it wrong that whatever the arguments and counter arguments I think it's great we can now have the time and energy to talk about actual FOOTBALL?

I dont think for a minute Waldron is not good enough, or out of favour. He was a part timer in December for goodness sake, and an injury has hindered his pre season. There will also be elements of his game that need work, which will be going on quietly behind the scenes.

Dont forget too, Calum Powell left in the summer, and we were saying last season that we would need to replace him, which has now been done.

I think a fourth front man is needed, to provide cover and competition, so I am reading the situation as all being ok.

The length of contract may well have suited both parties. Remember Danny gave up a well paid job in Finance to give full time a real go. He also worked out his notice period, presumably he wanted to leave on good terms. Very useful, if full time footballer doesn't work.

Back