• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future COSU, Communications & Future

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion

Do you think it reasonable that COSU give us an update on progress.

• Yes

Votes: 168 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 11.3%
  • Not bothered either way.

Votes: 82 29.1%

• Total voters
Justin Rees is in the boozer enough on a match day sinking pints so surely someone can ask him why the consortium have kept largely silent since the takeover when a promise of regular contact with supporters was made at the cliffs pavilion night
I have and keep it contact with him , but he is asking for patience as they sort out things. He is not one for making statements himself. I personally dont go along with this as a simple update to all fans with transparency is all we ask for.

It's hard not to be disappointed with the language and demeanour of the club at the moment. After the trauma of the past seven years and the elation of a new era starting it all seems...after the lord mayors show? Which, is exactly what Crowny said in the Shrimpers before the York game. COSU need to capitalise on the bumper crowds or they will drift.

Yep Doesn't add up. Not to mention we've lost Powell, Fonguck, Lomas, Brooklyn, Vilhete, Dave Martin, and now JD who were all on our books at one point or another last year. Granted we've extended contracts and bought quality from higher leagues in but we simply have to add to what is now a depleted and decimated squad.
Yes, but COSU have also funded millions of Ron’s debt, sorted out the new training ground so it’s safe and usable (among other things) this year. The comms is lacking, but the evidence points to overall spending having increased massively in the past 12 months. The transfer/wages kitty can’t (responsibly) be taken in isolation.

I can fully understand why Maher has found the last week really tough as when Ron was here we all knew it was a sh*tshow however I do think COSU need to do something.

We have lost a key centre back for whatever reason (carries on the sh*tshow with the constant drama)
We have lost our main striker to a rival
We have a really thin squad
We have no experienced striker (2 goals in 39 games in very underwhelming)
We havent been playing great or killing off games when we are playing well
Apart from the scoreboard, clock working and the new sign has anyone noticed any difference at the ground?
It appears we have little money to improve the team at the moment more than 'the right players arent available'
We have a very tough run of games coming up

It is a bit depressing at the moment.

I can fully understand why Maher has found the last week really tough as when Ron was here we all knew it was a sh*tshow however I do think COSU need to do something.

We have lost a key centre back for whatever reason (carries on the sh*tshow with the constant drama)
We have lost our main striker to a rival
We have a really thin squad
We have no experienced striker (2 goals in 39 games in very underwhelming)
We havent been playing great or killing off games when we are playing well
Apart from the scoreboard, clock working and the new sign has anyone noticed any difference at the ground?
It appears we have little money to improve the team at the moment more than 'the right players arent available'
We have a very tough run of games coming up

It is a bit depressing at the moment.
You are correct of course but as Spiff has already pointed out it isnt just the playing side that they are having to pay for and sort out. The mess the rat left the club in is a long legacy which we will suffer from for some time.

I understand all that but we as the fans need to hear communication from the club so at least we are all in the picture together and understand the current problems and future plans.

I get Kev's reaction today and totally understand it, he is once again trying to perform miracles with both hands tied behind his back, but if there is no money, then what can he or we do.

Last edited:
Don’t buy a football club if you can’t afford to fund it.

“But they are paying Ron’s debt” Sure, but they also got a training ground, football club and a free lease of a stadium for X years” for a £1.

So, this is the sustainability everyone cried out for…boring init

Name one successful sustainable club?

The consortium must have been aware that at our level there is likely to be losses involved. If they are saying no more money then surely if they have spent circa £3m and got the ground and training ground thrown in wouldn’t it make more sense for them to look for a buyer with deeper pockets prepared to back the best management team in the league probably the best supported club in the league now in an endeavour to get back in the EFL. I’m sure with RM gone the club is more attractive especially with the assets now in hand. Their silence is I believe a little worrying.

“But they are paying Ron’s debt” Sure, but they also got a training ground, football club and a free lease of a stadium for X years” for a £1.

So, this is a the sustainability everyone cried out for…boring init

Well, I prefer COSU buying us, despite their limited funds, rather that the alternative we had at the time.

And how do you want to define 'successful' sustainable club?

At This point, surviving as an ongoing interest and around mid-table will do me for this season.

The consortium must have been aware that at our level there is likely to be losses involved. If they are saying no more money then surely if they have spent circa £3m and got the ground and training ground thrown in wouldn’t it make more sense for them to look for a buyer with deeper pockets prepared to back the best management team in the league probably the best supported club in the league now in an endeavour to get back in the EFL. I’m sure with RM gone the club is more attractive especially with the assets now in hand. Their silence is I believe a little worrying.
That's just it, they're not saying anything, so maybe its a bit of a stretch to say were potless and lets sell the Club just after they've got their collective foot in the door. As for buyers with deeper pockets, there's not a lot of those around, certainly not for a Club with historic debt to be cleared.

Well, I prefer COSU buying us, despite their limited funds, rather that the alternative we had at the time.

And how do you want to define 'successful' sustainable club?

At This point, surviving as an ongoing interest and around mid-table will do me for this season.

Successful…winning stuff, enjoying the football, more than one striker and getting promotion (or at least being in with a sniff)

If COSU **** of Kev to the point he leaves, it’ll be a fatal error IMO.

Biggest issue COSU will face

Southend United are a national League club with a League One fan base.

Expectations NEED to be outlined to the fans. Otherwise you end with ALOT of people talking and ultimately getting impatient and worried.

It's not like we are Dagenham who only have 1,500 fans per game, we are talking just under 8,000 on average ATM. Fans will speculate if left to do so and the bigger the fan base, the more false information gets out.

I personally was always prepared for a mid table finish this season as to me, it was only logical that our budgets would have been slashed. But no everyone felt this way and at no fault have targeted a promotion push.

This is where in my opinion, we need a vocal footballing director who not only knows how to run a club, but can identify realistic targets based on experience and our budget.

So, this is the sustainability everyone cried out for…boring init

Where has it been suggested they can afford to fund it? They funded the football club for 8 months was it before they brought it, and even then they didn’t buy what they originally wanted.

They spent £4m before becoming owners, that isn’t lose change, that’s a significant sum of money. They got a training ground, which wasn’t fit for purpose, which they have had to get it up and running again, costing even more money, and they got a long lease on a stadium that had been left to rot. More money being spent there.

As fans, we just want a successful (for us, not talking about Premier league, champions league etc) football team and not to have to worry about the off the field stuff, which has dominated our thoughts since Covid really, and was a problem before then as well.

It’s nice to be debating football again.

Yes we have to be grateful for COSU, and yes we are allowed to critique what they have done/haven’t done so far.

I don’t think some people realise just how bad it was off field, yet want us to spunk more and more money on “proven” players.

None of us know the budgets. Maybe it’s top half, maybe it’s top 7, maybe it’s top 3. Could even be bottom 3, but we don’t know.

I agree that COSU should put out some form of communication about things. I’m not expecting to hear everything they have planned, but an update would be nice.

Anyways, this is all incredibly off topic.

Successful…winning stuff, enjoying the football, more than one striker and getting promotion (or at least being in with a sniff)

If COSU **** of Kev to the point he leaves, it’ll be a fatal error IMO.
At this stage of the season, it's impossible to know who will be in with a different of promotions, but I'd say Fulham and West Ham are doing OK, as are West Brom so far this season. Exeter and Cheltenham aren't doing badly either.

They're all financially sustainable as far as I'm aware.

At this stage of the season, it's impossible to know who will be in with a different of promotions, but I'd say Fulham and West Ham are doing OK, as are West Brom so far this season. Exeter and Cheltenham aren't doing badly either.

They're all financially sustainable as far as I'm aware.
Funny how easy it is to be ‘sustainable’ when your stadium is funded by the taxpayer.

Back