• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hope you or your loved ones don't ever need to use it then.

Unfortunately the NHS is taking a kicking because of the misinformation and lies that have been allowed to rip through social media over the last few days, especially.

From fake pictures, to first hand anecdotes of the big empty hospitals... in some people’s minds it is conclusive proof that the NHS are lying about how much strain they’re under.

As a critical thinker, all you’ve got to ask yourself is two simple questions; 1) why would the NHS lie and 2) how many people would have to be in on it to pull off such a ruse.

It would be comical if it wasn’t so tragic.

If it were upto me, I’d simply say all those who want to disavow the NHS, feel free to... just don’t dial 999 if and when you end up in a spot of medical bother.

Let's hope you or your loved ones don't ever need to use it then.
Unfortunately the NHS is taking a kicking because of the misinformation and lies that have been allowed to rip through social media over the last few days, especially.

From fake pictures, to first hand anecdotes of the big empty hospitals... in some people’s minds it is conclusive proof that the NHS are lying about how much strain they’re under.

As a critical thinker, all you’ve got to ask yourself is two simple questions; 1) why would the NHS lie and 2) how many people would have to be in on it to pull off such a ruse.

It would be comical if it wasn’t so tragic.

If it were upto me, I’d simply say all those who want to disavow the NHS, feel free to... just don’t dial 999 if and when you end up in a spot of medical bother.

I've actually felt like crap for a couple of months now but I'm breathing, so get on with it. The Ambulance is for those who can't breath and other none Covid problems.

This is often mentioned but more people have now died of covid in the UK than died during the blitz.Just saying. (and before anyone starts, my father was in bomb disposal during the war so I'm sure he had it pretty hard).
it’s a good comparison if the average age of the victims of the blitz were above the average lifespan at the time? if 15 per cent of London citizens been made homeless at some stage , if over a million houses been damaged or destroyed and if tens of thousands of children been evacuated.
you might as well say Covid deaths have exceeded man citys average league game attendance

Last edited:
I can reassure you all at the moment it is really “tough going” out there and this is not the peak we are expecting.

I have just finished a Teams meeting with all the health providers across Mid Essex (that’s all Health from Chelmsford to Southend and north Essex) and the session was lead by the consultant anaesthetist for Mid Essex and what he was saying was quite bleak especially in regards to the hospitals and some of the statistics he was sharing was quite frankly worrying.

From a practical point of view at work we are completely rushed off of our feet and the amount of people unwell I have never seen before. The care homes are on their knees with lack of staff and some of them running amok with COVID.
On the plus side we are now rolling out the vaccine with all hands on deck and most of us working extra hours and weekends to get the vaccine into people arms.

Please, please be careful and continue to be vigilant and ensure you keep wearing your mask, keep your distance and wash your hands

I can reassure you all at the moment it is really “tough going” out there and this is not the peak we are expecting.

I have just finished a Teams meeting with all the health providers across Mid Essex (that’s all Health from Chelmsford to Southend and north Essex) and the session was lead by the consultant anaesthetist for Mid Essex and what he was saying was quite bleak especially in regards to the hospitals and some of the statistics he was sharing was quite frankly worrying.

From a practical point of view at work we are completely rushed off of our feet and the amount of people unwell I have never seen before. The care homes are on their knees with lack of staff and some of them running amok with COVID.
On the plus side we are now rolling out the vaccine with all hands on deck and most of us working extra hours and weekends to get the vaccine into people arms.

Please, please be careful and continue to be vigilant and ensure you keep wearing your mask, keep your distance and wash your hands

Thank you for what you're doing and all of the NHS.

it’s a good comparison if the average age of the victims of the blitz were above the average lifespan at the time? if 15 per cent of London citizens been made homeless at some stage , if over a million houses been damaged or destroyed and if tens of thousands of children been evacuated.
you might as well say Covid deaths have exceeded man citys average league game attendance

First, let me say I'm not trying to downplay the genuine suffering of Londoners during WW2, (which included my father's own family brought up in the East End).Your last point just trivialises what is a genuine comparison in terms of deaths,IMO.

Yes they could very well do what you say to keeps schools open but I shall say again, who should they sacrifice from the higher risk groups to do this?

Ah and there it is, HMG please do so and so but I'm not going to concern myself with how you do it or what other groups it may affect.

FYI, I don't have a dog in this particular fight, though I'm a retired teacher.Also, at my age (69) and with an underlying medical condition (Type 2 diabetes) I'd've thought my chances of being reasonably high up the list for the vaccine here in Spain are quite good.

FWIW,heard an interviewer say on C4 news earlier (speaking to the last but one Education secretary) that teachers have more than three times the risk of catching the virus as other groups of workers.No idea whether that's the case or not but if it is then it rather supports my suggestion,IMO.

Last edited:
FYI, I don't have a dog in this particular fight, though I'm a retired teacher.Also, at my age (69) and with an underlying medial condition (Type 2 diabetes) I'd've thought my chances of being reasonably high up the list for the vaccine here in Spain are quite good.

FWIW,heard an interviewer say on C4 news earlier (speaking to the last but one Education secretary) that teachers have more than three times the risk of catching the virus as other groups of workers.No idea whether that's the case or not but if it is then it rather supports my suggestion,IMO.

And it's a good suggestion that I've heard many times over, you'd just need to sacrifice another high risk group at this current time to be able to do it with the current stock level of the vaccine. Numbers suggest there are around 500,000 full time teachers as of Oct 2019 (can't seem to find the latest numbers) and we have given the vaccine to 1.3 million so far. Hopefully from Feb onwards when we start receiving larger batches of the vaccine they can think of doing this along with emergency services.

Newspapers and other media love to use these types of comparisons, generally they are meaningless as they are comparing apples with oranges, but they can provide some stark numbers.

According to the University of Exeter, around 61,000 people were killed in the blitz over four years, whereas more than 75,000 have died in the UK of covid in the last nine months.

In the US, it was reported several months ago that more Americans had died of covid than were killed in the Vietnam War.

It seems to me that if people are dying at a greater rate now than during a war when people are actively trying to kill each other, then our leaders have failed big time!

Rather than crass comparisons with blitz death figures, followed by false apologies. How about the flu spike 3 years ago when in January alone 42,000 people died.
Your numbers don't seem correct. But yes there was a bad flu season in 2017/18. Not sure what you're getting at though, flu is bad. Fortunately we have an effective vaccine for it but some years the vaccine is more effective than others, due to the seasonal variants and trying to develop a vaccine that will cover against what the virus will be in the future.

I went for a Covid test on Monday, thank god got a negative result within 15 hours of testing

The Basildon "Cherrydown Covid park" were superb from the moment I drove there, and was extremely busy at 9.00 am

Was 99 percent sure the cough I have was a cold tickle, but in todays world cannot be sure
Just wanted to say the NHS nurses and people who are working non stop to help us get through this, a huge thank you

The patience shown by those at Basildon was re assuring , when people couldn't grasp the throat swab then the nose
Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all the work you do and it will only get worse in the future, lets hope the conspiracy theorist and idiots who put false stats out are ignored, they have nothing better to do with their lives imho

On BBC East news today they are reporting that 1 in 18 have the virus in Essex.

That's a frightening number if true, it certainly beats the national figure which is 1 in 50. I'm not surprised if true, this thing hangs around for months, I said in another post, I've been feeling rough on and off for months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back