• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Chelmsford City 0-1 Southend United, pre-season friendly

I actually think it's good that people have differing views on here. It creates debate which is why we have this forum. Just because Wiggys views differ from others he is still entitled to express them.
He makes some valid points IMO, which everybody on here can debate without bashing him for his own.
Sorry @Cricko John we'll have to agree to disagree there. There is a difference between having an opinion, expressing & discussing it as opposed to being a monotonous critic who will accept no debate.

My stats will show I was dormant on this site for several years & that was mainly due to the constant criticism day in day out of some posters which didn't do anything to contribute to the reasoned debates 99% could have due to our rational natures. I'll probably just drop off again when the keyboard warriors start up again as although I can ignore them I still see the 10's of replies they rely on for their ego. Those replying are just losing minutes of their lives they'll never get back. 💤💤

Obviously when I say we can agree to disagree I don't mean it as I know I'm right & you are completely wrong in every way possible. How very Biggyheaded of me. 😇

That’s because I am extremely passionate and convinced that this is our best chance for years to get out of this insult of a League with teams such as Braintree in it.
All I keep hearing about is defenders, ain’t we got enough of them?
If we must play Jack Bridge then why get rid of the bloke that he played best with , Wez?
Should be on a massive high having got rid of the rat but as usual it is lack of goals that I’m worried about but the clique don’t mention that, just say I’m wrong for dare mentioning that!
I don't disagree with much of what you say - we now have enough defenders, arguably prior to wind coming in we were 1 short. I'd also argue thats not all you're hearing about - we've also signed a centre forward and the transfer rumours is full of tashminga and pedder rumours, as well as other non defenders.

Wes was offered a deal, chose not to accept. Many would say (as do you) that his position was one that needed strengthening, and most aren't too upset he's gone.

I'm also concerned on lack of goals - but for this season that's an opinion, not fact, we need to wait and see. I haven't seen too much criticism of anyone saying they're concerned on lack of goals, maybe it's other remarks in your posts that get people's backs up

Pre season games are notorious for being underwhelming events. We may score loads, we may not, it's more about gelling the players and playing to a plan and pattern. That is certainly what has occurred this time round, and the real crunch will be reserved for next Saturday and York. Pro Footballers are all about confidence and if we find the back of the net early, then watch the confidence flow. I'm still a believer that Danny Waldron will be our secret weapon this season, given the chance and the right service, and that will be Mr Maher's job to find the route to his finishing skills.

Thing is I suspect the goal this year is the automatic spot (not that it will be stated)…not making the playoffs would be a major disappointment…? Going from the latter to the former will require a very different outcome in the goals for column whilst maintaining what we already do well at the back.

Our midfield goal tally was very poor. And expected goals verses actual goals from chances created also very poor. So I expect these areas will be addressed- Walker being a great start…

On a par with getting rid of Southgate style wise, yes
the same Kev Maher that saved us from relegation, the same Kev that had us in the play offs last season (if not for the -10 points), the same Kev Maher that had to use a squad of 13 players for god knows how many games, the same Kev Maher who manged wins against Oldham 4-0, Solihull 5-0 and 3-0, Chesterfield at home 2-1, Aldershot 4-1 the list goes on. Any other manager would have walked away but Kev, Darren Currie, Mark Bentley stuck by the club, the fans and players through extreme circumstances. Ive agreed that we need to sign more players and most certainly in attacking arears. But to suggest Kev is negative and maybe should suggest he leaves is bonkers. The guy deserves a knighthood for what he has done for this club. This season will be a big one as there wont be any excuses this season and no off field distractions. But he absolutely deserves the chance to be the man to lead us hopefully to promotion surely you think thats fair?

Last edited:
the same Kev Maher that saved us from relegation, the same Kev that had us in the play offs last season (if not for the -10 points), the same Kev Maher that had to use a squad of 13 players for god knows how many games, the same Kev Maher who manged wins against Oldham 4-0, Solihull 5-0 and 3-0, Chesterfield at home 2-1, Aldershot 4-1 the list goes on. Any other manager would have walked away but Kev, Darren Currie, Mark Bentley stuck by the club, the fans and players through extreme circumstances. Ive agreed that we need to sign more players and most certainly in attacking arears. But to suggest Kev is negative and maybe he should suggest he leaves is bonkers. The guy deserves a knighthood for what he has done for this club. This season will be a big one as there wont be any excuses this season. But he absolutely deserves the chance to be the man to lead us hopefully to promotion surely you think thats fair?
Unbelievable.
Why on earth would you come on here and talk complete sense

Strange forum this?
My opinion is that we are weak on a supply line and weak on strikers at the start of a season in a League that is very weak?
However the little club of Kev lovers don’t seem to have any opinion on this?
Clearly we are lacking but 99% are scared to admit it for fear of upsetting someone or the other….thought it was about opinions positive and negative, not this little gang!

The problem isn't your opinion. It's the way you deliver it on the forum. Saying people who disagree with your opinion as 'kevin lovers' is going to get a negative reaction for example.

It was only a friendly. Wait 5/6 games in if we still have no recruits and not scoring enough goals you'll have a good point.

Well.. how can I answer what you’ve just said. But, yes.
Tbf, we know bridge can’t defend.. let’s not pretend (almost a lyric there).. I love Kev as a gaffer.. as a tactical genius, I’m not so confident

Right, so our manager is more adventurous than you and you criticise him for playing safe.

Some might even say having the best defence in the division with a wingback who can’t defend would be a sign of managerial genius.

Yes it’s very strange how they all wet themselves with any criticism of Maher….the coach who reprimanded us paying crowd for dare to shout shooot when in a good position 20 yards from goal?

The players weren’t in a good position to shoot though. People in the crowd were shouting shoot when there were defenders blocking the shot.

I’m gonna try not stir the pot.. I love Kev and all the back room staff to the end of the pier and back but I would still like to see a more attacking ‘chances created’ style of football instead of protecting a lead or passing around the midfield personally..

Back to the game on Saturday, I was impressed with our defending, rarely looked in trouble aside from one or two moments when Collin was called upon. Yes they could have scored but then we had three or four very good chances to add to our lead.

The lower league sides will always be more motivated in games like this. Chelmsford were a good side only one level below us last season yet I thought we controlled the game without really needing to exert any urgency.

Also, fortunately when the season starts for real our players will not require hunting knives to hack away at the long grass. Haven't seen a pitch that bad for some time and it clearly slowed the game down. A good exercise.

I look forward to more possession based football, 33 pass goals will do me just fine, literally the oppo gives up. More 15 game unbeaten runs, oohh go on then. We got a cracking team, let the boys play and support them. I think its fantastic we've not lost any of our team that done so well last year.
It's going to take other fancied teams a while before all those signings theyve made come to fruition and their squads start to settle down. I expect to see Wiggy back on here in November if we lose a game around then.

Lets be honest we would all love a goal scoring midfielder like Harry Kane ,but the purse strings dont stretch that far. From what i have read about this young lad pedder and the glowing endorsement of him from Noor we could have a gem on our hands and maybe that will allow KEV and co to be a bit more adventurous, Yes and i do think Coker will have an even better season this time than last season ,even then i thought he did very well .Hopefully Noor will also ,Agree that Waldron could be our Fox in the Box, once he finds his feet .Saying all that i would still love another striker and creative midfielder plus off course a GK.

I’m gonna try not stir the pot.. I love Kev and all the back room staff to the end of the pier and back but I would still like to see a more attacking ‘chances created’ style of football instead of protecting a lead or passing around the midfield personally..
I think we'd all like to see a Southend side which is swashbuckling and scores goals for fun, but also has a defence that never lets teams in and is super solid.

Realistically, with our budget, it's never going to be the case. We have a solid defence and a way of playing (possession football) that protects them. Sometimes it can appear 'safe' but I've watched us for 30-odd years and I don't think our style of football is any less exciting than what we've seen before, save for the enigma of the Eastwood era and arguably Paul Sturrock's tenure, which of course was branded hoofball by many of our fans. We scored an absolute ****load of goals under PS, but of course we didn't score by playing incisive possession football so a lot of our fans weren't happy.

There are at least 11 other teams in this league that feel they have a shot at the title this year. We're in a good position through the solid base we have built. Goals win games, defences win titles. However, we DO play on the front foot, we take games to teams and rarely sit back to try and defend. We had one of the highest XGs in the division last year, which suggests that finishing rather than chance-creation is the issue. If we can add 15 or 20 goals to what we did last season, we're going to be in an extremely strong position.

The problem isn't your opinion. It's the way you deliver it on the forum. Saying people who disagree with your opinion as 'kevin lovers' is going to get a negative reaction for example.

It was only a friendly. Wait 5/6 games in if we still have no recruits and not scoring enough goals you'll have a good point.
He would disappear and come back when things aren’t going well again.

I think we have had more than our fair share of recruiting players who are prone to injuries.
Don't employ anyone who is injured before they sign.
But is the player in question actually injured or is the club unwilling to risk him in the last friendly before the beginning of the season?

But is the player in question actually injured or is the club unwilling to risk him in the last friendly before the beginning of the season?

Hopefully it's the latter.

I can't comment on how he has played in the friendlies. Though the majority of posters on here say he has had a good pre-season. If he had hamstring awareness then it's a good thing he didn't play and stuff it good and proper. It's only a pre-season game after all.

He has a slight hamstring strain, I spoke to him Saturday and he was limping slightly but said it was t too bad

Back