• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bishop's Stortford 1 Southend United 4

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
On holiday so missed the game and or protest

Sounds like we played really well and BS are only league below us so still a good result under the circumstances with no game time on our legs. I said a number of weeks ago that the best thing for Southend and Wood was for him to go out on loan last season and come back a better and stronger player. By the sound of it that’s what we’ve got. Basically is like a new signing for us

Help me out here.
Is Jack Wood an out and out striker or a goal scoring midfielder (like Mooney was expected to be)? If the latter, Kev & Co may be more relaxed about Mooney leaving.
Mooney generally plays (played?) a lot deeper than him. Wood was up front first half and scored his goals as a forward. Think of him more as a Powell replacement to play alongside Cardwell than a Mooney replacement (whatever his role was - he never really established one).

When Gus went off second half he went to right wing back.

Help me out here.
Is Jack Wood an out and out striker or a goal scoring midfielder (like Mooney was expected to be)? If the latter, Kev & Co may be more relaxed about Mooney leaving.
Wood is very versatile which makes him even more important at the moment as stated above he can slot in RWB would do a job in a middle 2 or 3 can play either wing number 10 or a main striker

Wood is very versatile which makes him even more important at the moment as stated above he can slot in RWB would do a job in a middle 2 or 3 can play either wing number 10 or a main striker
Indicates a very good understanding of the game if he can play all those.

Normally pre season matches mean absolutely nothing, however this one does in my opinion. If not necessarily for the players and staff but for the fans. So important to finally have some football to focus on, and a 4-1 win might not normally mean anything but it's a much-needed morale boost for us all. Well done lads.

I’m gonna take some of the credit regarding Wood’s loan deal last season 😂 I’m a part time scout at Angels and Wood along with Crowhurst (earlier in the season) we’re put forward by me
Is Crowhurst still with us? I noticed he wasn’t involved today. It’d be a shame if he’s moved on, looked a good prospect.

Great game, even if it was more like winter. Really wasn’t expecting much, but Kev and a Co working miracles keeping the morale and professionalism where it is.

As others have said Wood looked very very impressive, a goal scoring attacking midfielder..exac what we were craving for last year.

Some optimism today and good to be talking about football again.

We must have paid John Gowan as well now!

Mooney generally plays (played?) a lot deeper than him. Wood was up front first half and scored his goals as a forward. Think of him more as a Powell replacement to play alongside Cardwell than a Mooney replacement (whatever his role was - he never really established one).

When Gus went off second half he went to right wing back.
Spot on that, I’d love to see wood play off cardwell, think wood will thrive in that position as loves a shot at goal.

Spot on that, I’d love to see wood play off cardwell, think wood will thrive in that position as loves a shot at goal.
I remember when he arrived with Still and others raving about him, clearly he’s been identified as the type of player we need and it looks that way too. Let’s hope the embargo gets sorted in the next week and no reason why we can’t get a few more targets in and suddenly things don’t look as bleak.

Was coming on to say exactly this.

I mentioned in numerous times last season, if all the signings we made last summer, and since Still’s arrival, Wood is the one Still rated the highest.

He thinks he’ll be added to his list of superstars he has spotted, and potentially be the best one and could go on to reach the very, very top.
I was at a beer tasting at leigh brewery last year (April) and a fella at my table was a Watford fan but was also a season ticket holder at Kings Langley. He was singing the lads praises and was saying how good a player we could potentially have on our hands.

Back