• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best shows currently on British TV

Desert Shrimper

The Oil Baron
Through the miracle of technology (and a dodgy overseas payment) I'm now able to get British TV again. This is quite an exciting prospect when your TV diet in the Middle East is predominantly 80's Yank trash.

Which, in your opinion are the best shows on British TV at the moment and why? Has anything started in the past 18 months that I should make a point of watching?

Cheers for any suggestions.....:flamer:

Heroes, the Apprentice, the Championship for Southend highlights, there isn't much good on British TV

American ones.

Really? Which ones? They all seem to be the same predictable OTT crap to me. Outside of The Sporanos and The Daily Show I'm struggling to think of any really good recent American shows. Is there no great British comedy any more? Peep Show and Star Stories are excellent but surely there must be some new gems coming through.....?

Don't they have pubs that show Eastenders whilst you tuck in to fish and chips/all day breakfasts?

British telly has the usual issues of the same actors in every sodding drama. Ex Corrie, 'Enders etc playing coppers/teachers/doctors... yawn...

Comedy is either aimed at teenagers/20 somethings (recent Plus One) or "safe" family comedies like My Family - Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle being the only diamond in a sea of crap. Add in reality shows, cookery shows, home makeover shows.... Chris Moyles.. X-Factor, Ant & Dec.....British telly is pretty awful.

American TV I guess has more money and seems to take chances with fresh talent - Heroes (though drastically going down the toilet and I'd be amazed if it carries on past this season)...24...Lost (again it's becoming lost itself)....Terminator.....

Doctor Who I guess is still pretty good, though bit concerned the new Doctor is 12 years old.

Red Riding was a pretty decent drama and Ashes to Ashes is back soon so there is hope I suppose.

Last edited:
I think Horne and Corden is possibly one of the worst TV shows on at the moment. It really is awful, so so so unfunny yet they act like they are God's gift to comedy!

As for what's good, Apprentice, Inbetweeners. That's about it.

Good recent shows:
Harry Hill's TV Burp
The Apprentice
Lead Balloon
The IT Crowd
Gavin & Stacey
Any Cutting Edge documentary
Come Dine With Me
Jonathan Creek (Xmas 08 special)

Recent US shows of note:
ER
Rescue Me
Sleeper Cell
The Riches (starring Eddie Izzard & Minnie Driver)

All about In the Night Garden.

Slightly off topic, but as a parent, what are your thoughts on the "it has to be oh so PC" output of CBeebies?

Surely the one armed presenter is taking it this all a bit too far (one of the parenting message boards the Mrs goes on, apparently are "up in arms" ;) about it and keep complaining that it is scaring the children, so the girl is now trying to cover up her disabilty as best as she can)!!!

Slightly off topic, but as a parent, what are your thoughts on the "it has to be oh so PC" output of CBeebies?

Surely the one armed presenter is taking it this all a bit too far (one of the parenting message boards the Mrs goes on, apparently are "up in arms" ;) about it and keep complaining that it is scaring the children, so the girl is now trying to cover up her disabilty as best as she can)!!!

i'm all for equal opportunites but it's when companies attempt to fill quotas that it gets ridiculous. if she was the best person for the job, it doesnt matter if she's got one arm or one eye, she should get the job.
in regards to scaring children, i saw a news story about this and most kids really didnt care that she only had one arm, it was the parents that were more worried.
at the end of the day, i know a couple of people with one arm, one of which will be at the paralympics in 2012, and they are no different and albeit you will naturally double take at first because it's not what u expect, as soon as you get to know them you don't realise, it's just a feature of them, like someone with a monobrow!

Back