• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Watched him in those 5 minute stints and for my money was impressive,Strong with pace and Defo should have had a game since then even if he gets on in the final 10/15 when the game was safe or in a cup game.

I just cannot comprehend choosing the same blokes over and over again who rarely deliver the goods then Phil moans about the chances squandered then selects those same blokes all over again.

Perhaps you should have watched him pre season against non league opposition when he was nowhere near the required standard, but hey you know best.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should have watched him pre season against non league opposition when he was no where near the required standard, but hey you know best.

I am beginning to think the only secret photo album out there is the one Jason Williams has of Mrsblue!!

Watched him in those 5 minute stints and for my money was impressive,Strong with pace and Defo should have had a game since then even if he gets on in the final 10/15 when the game was safe or in a cup game.

I just cannot comprehend choosing the same blokes over and over again who rarely deliver the goods then Phil moans about the chances squandered then selects those same blokes all over again.

I agree. Two 5-minute cameo's, played like Messi to be fair. Why isn't this kid starting? What does Brown know, he only sees all the boys in training every day. Clearly not a clue how to manage a football club. BROWN OUT!

:whistling:

Yes but Weston did not score and thats why we are discussing this. Whether the term 'waste of time' is over the top or not is neither here nor there. He has not contributed anywhere near enough to be automatic choice on the team sheet.

As for simplistic its a shame that the team selection is not done simply. If you are on form you are in - if not work on it and come back when you are. Very simple.

Ridiculous, BBBC's main job in the team is to knock it down to people and hold up the ball, the only goals he usually scores are from headers, that doesn't make him bad because we aren't playing him to score 20 a season. It's Blair all over again, playing up front does not mean you are a target man. If you want to complain about lack of.goals look to Coulthrist and Weston who are the ones with the chances.

I agree. Two 5-minute cameo's, played like Messi to be fair. Why isn't this kid starting? What does Brown know, he only sees all the boys in training every day. Clearly not a clue how to manage a football club. BROWN OUT!

:whistling:

I think you may be right.

As you like stats,

Barney's last 62 appearances =9 goals which 2 were from the spot!,7 goals from open play is not really good enough and the most ardent LB fan would struggle to justify his inclusion!

Facts are we need 11 every game putting in a shift yet at times Lee and Barry hinder us to the degree of we are actually playing with 9 players when they both play.

You've got to bear in mind though the amount of time Barney has had on the pitch. Take someone like Jordan Rhodes for example, a "one-in-two" striker. If he scores a goal every 180 minutes or so and Barney is getting 10-15 minutes in most games it's going to take him much longer between his goals in open play. And he's not Jordan Rhodes anyway, I wish he was! Barney needs a run in the side, a consistent run. He got most of the game against Walsall and looked very sharp, I'd like to see him given a good few games in a row from the start. After that is a fairer time to pass judgement, for me though he looks a lot better than last season from what I've seen.

You've got to bear in mind though the amount of time Barney has had on the pitch. Take someone like Jordan Rhodes for example, a "one-in-two" striker. If he scores a goal every 180 minutes or so and Barney is getting 10-15 minutes in most games it's going to take him much longer between his goals in open play. And he's not Jordan Rhodes anyway, I wish he was! Barney needs a run in the side, a consistent run. He got most of the game against Walsall and looked very sharp, I'd like to see him given a good few games in a row from the start. After that is a fairer time to pass judgement, for me though he looks a lot better than last season from what I've seen.

We all want Barney to score me included yet how much longer should Phil give him?

We all want Barney to score me included yet how much longer should Phil give him?

He should give him a consistent run in the side, if he goes x amount of games without scoring then fine but he hasn't had a run in the side (and in the only game he's started he was one of our best players so he deserves one). Unfortunately - and as much as I like Barry Corr - it appears he will ALWAYS start up front and I don't agree with that. But Brown's the man in charge and he's done a good job in the last 17 months so I'm happy to back his judgement. If it were me though I'd be giving Barney that chance. It's unfair to judge him until he's had a good run, if he hasn't scored after that then OK but he was very unlucky not to open his account from open play against the Dons.

Personally I feel the best striker we have (given that I don't see Weston as a striker) is Coulthirst, he just needs a goal simple as that.

How many chances has Barney actually missed?

Not many... that means we haven't set them up for him. We could have the best finisher in the world playing and they wouldn't score.

Players like Coulthirst make their own chances. Unfortunatley, whilst the lad has all the approach, he lacks the finish.

We have made more chances this season, which is encouraging. They've just fallen to the wrong people. Soon we will get a hatful against someone. I'm not in the least bit concerned... yet.

How many chances has Barney actually missed?

Not many... that means we haven't set them up for him. We could have the best finisher in the world playing and they wouldn't score.

Players like Coulthirst make their own chances. Unfortunatley, whilst the lad has all the approach, he lacks the finish.

We have made more chances this season, which is encouraging. They've just fallen to the wrong people. Soon we will get a hatful against someone. I'm not in the least bit concerned... yet.

Agree with all of this, I'm also not concerned at this time. Last season we built our promotion challenge upon a strong defence, this season we also look fairly strong at the back but we're now creating numerous chances at the other end. During his loan spell I hardly remember Barnard getting many sniffs at goal and I'd very much like to see what he can do in a side that creates numerous chances every game.

Over to you Phil!

Can't wait to bring this thread up in a couple of months when we are flying, the system is fine, we are creating lots of opportunities we just aren't finishing them. The goals will come soon, to say "the clock is ticking for Phil" is ridiculous

MrsBlue just a quick question .., would you take winning enough games 1-0 to secure promotion, or do you just want goals to be scored. Because what I think you have to agree, is that PB has sorted out the defence with his system, which actually gives you a better platform to build on. ie better than scoring goals, yet always conceeding (just ask Liverpool fans last season).

Instead finger pointing for blame, lets look at the positives, that actually we may have the correct players in this squad and PB needs to be afforded time to find the best offensive players to win the games that our defenders are giving us the ability to.

& Please, one thing, League 2 is not like the Premiership, in that if you arent in the top 4 after 10 games thats it, game over, season after season, this league is dominated by teams, that at any stage of the season, can go on a 15 match run ..., and personally, looking at our squad, I think we are more than capable to achieve this.

Can't wait to bring this thread up in a couple of months when we are flying, the system is fine, we are creating lots of opportunities we just aren't finishing them. The goals will come soon, to say "the clock is ticking for Phil" is ridiculous

Is it ridiculous though?

8 wins from the last 24 league games or include the play off and it's 8 from 26
1 point from the last 2 games
Lack of goals throughout

Ron in fairness gives his managers plenty of time but I think the next 8 league games will make or break Phil as they are mainly against promotion fancies.

Is it ridiculous though?

8 wins from the last 24 league games or include the play off and it's 8 from 26
1 point from the last 2 games
Lack of goals throughout

Ron in fairness gives his managers plenty of time but I think the next 8 league games will make or break Phil as they are mainly against promotion fancies.

:angry: For crying out loud, please please please, give it a rest. Your dislike of PB is clear and for my tuppeny worth, when Ron sacks him as is inevitable as far as you are concerned, get in touch with RM and demand you be appointed to select the new manager or apply to do the job yourself!!!

MrsBlue just a quick question .., would you take winning enough games 1-0 to secure promotion, or do you just want goals to be scored. Because what I think you have to agree, is that PB has sorted out the defence with his system, which actually gives you a better platform to build on that scoring goals, yet always conceeding (just ask Liverpool fans last season).

Instead finger pointing for blame, lets look at the positives, that actually we may have the correct players in this squad and PB needs to be afforded time to find the best offensive players to win the games that our defenders are giving us the ability to.

& Please, one thing, League 2 is not like the Premiership, in that if you arent in the top 4 after 10 games thats it, game over, season after season, this league is dominated by teams, that at any stage of the season, can go on a 15 match run ..., and personally, looking at our squad, I think we are more than capable to achieve this.

Every football purist wants loads of goals and 5 0 wins however as you say it's league 2 and highly unlikely,I just think Phil relies too much on not conceding hence why we are so compact and tough to break down yet we are not doing it at the other end.I suspect Phil wants plenty of 1 0s but the harsh reality is he is not getting those results.

:angry: For crying out loud, please please please, give it a rest. Your dislike of PB is clear and for my tuppeny worth, when Ron sacks him as is inevitable as far as you are concerned, get in touch with RM and demand you be appointed to select the new manager or apply to do the job yourself!!!

This is why I love the zone,
Most on here ask interesting questions then you get the above.

Every football purist wants loads of goals and 5 0 wins however as you say it's league 2 and highly unlikely,I just think Phil relies too much on not conceding hence why we are so compact and tough to break down yet we are not doing it at the other end.I suspect Phil wants plenty of 1 0s but the harsh reality is he is not getting those results.

Granted, but you cant argue with us having the best defensive record in the league last season and if you ask most managers, this is the problem that most face, ie conceeding goals. The less goals you conceed, the less you need to score, and therefore you can control games more, without panicking.

This is why I love the zone,
Most on here ask interesting questions then you get the above.

You go round and round in circles, going over the same old ground time and time again. People have different opinions from you, and you will get called out if you try to batter your will onto others who do not share your opinion.
Thanks for the red and the sad comments with it, I will treasure it forever.:thumbsup:

Back