• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Or perhaps Phil sees Barney every day and still selects him, so he's in a much better position than any of us (and with more coaching qualifications!) to decide whether he is worthy of selection..... :whistling:

If Barney really is the best we have, we are screwed unless Brown gets his finger out and gets a decent striker in

I said exactly the same on here after Walsall - Barney looked fit, lively, sharp and was one of our best players on the night. I also said that if we weren't up against a very physical Stevenage side on the Saturday then I would have backed Barney to start ahead of Corr. He put in an excellent shift FROM THE START which is something that gets completely forgotten, it's easier to impress from the off than it is coming on for the last 10-15 minutes here and there when most players need 10 mins or so to get into the game. Barney was also extremely unlucky not to score against Wimbledon.

Agree with you 100% mate but unfortunately it's pointless arguing with some on here because they're either:

(a) completely closed-minded to anyone's opinion other than their own.

or (worse!)

(b) wind-up merchants who never have anything positive to say but are straight on here with the negatives when we don't win hoping to get as big a reaction as possible from people like you and me.

That's life I guess, at least it makes the Zone more interesting!

19 appearances 2 penalties and nothing from open play!.Playing well in one game is fine yet the other 18 have from what I have seen either been bad or poor according to others.

Lee has had an abundance of games yet still offers very little IMO ,Fair enough if you and others rate him that is your choice but I expect for my money a player who at least look's capable of scoring yet sadly for Lee for whatever reason it's just not happening for him.

RE Williams I have no idea but with better players around him as in first team he can only improve or at the very least be rewarded with his chance to shine.

Serious question, have you ever seen Jason Williams play bar the 2 five minute cameo's he had last season?

If Barney really is the best we have, we are screwed unless Brown gets his finger out and gets a decent striker in

I think we have plenty of inexperienced cover, it's just a case of getting some of those others up to League standard. Ellis Brown is the one that excites me most out of the prospects on offer. Williams featured in the GWR pre-season game but don't really recall him in any of the others.

Serious question, have you ever seen Jason Williams play bar the 2 five minute cameo's he had last season?

Watched him in those 5 minute stints and for my money was impressive,Strong with pace and Defo should have had a game since then even if he gets on in the final 10/15 when the game was safe or in a cup game.

I just cannot comprehend choosing the same blokes over and over again who rarely deliver the goods then Phil moans about the chances squandered then selects those same blokes all over again.

I think we have plenty of inexperienced cover, it's just a case of getting some of those others up to League standard. Ellis Brown is the one that excites me most out of the prospects on offer. Williams featured in the GWR pre-season game but don't really recall him in any of the others.

I know who we have. We seem to get these younger players in then just don't use them. Ellis Brown is old enough and so is Layne for that matter. If we aren't to use these players, use the money to get a good striker in instead. Barney isn't going to cut it and shouldn't have been signed. Fagan is the same age if not a year older and looks light years ahead of Barney. I'd happily have Fagan here tomorrow

I know who we have. We seem to get these younger players in then just don't use them. Ellis Brown is old enough and so is Layne for that matter. If we aren't to use these players, use the money to get a good striker in instead. Barney isn't going to cut it and shouldn't have been signed. Fagan is the same age if not a year older and looks light years ahead of Barney. I'd happily have Fagan here tomorrow

Where is Fagan?,He looked good pre season very impressive and very clever with or without the ball.

Where is Fagan?,He looked good pre season very impressive and very clever with or without the ball.

Featured in nearly every pre season friendly yet didn't get signed. Maybe he wanted too much money, who knows. I'm disappointed he isn't with us

This has to be one of the greatest shrimperzone threads ever. 4 games into the season, playing generally well, and with a results record of 2-1-1, and people want more strikers (we have at least 5 already). Are we playing Chamionship Manager here? I rather think we have a squad most other teams in this league would be very envious of. And what about a budget? Or should we not worry about that and keep signing more and more, then just blame Ron when the figures don't stack up?
I would politely suggest that the bank holiday weekend leaves some people with too much time to think things over - maybe we should all go back to work?

Barney isn't going to cut it and shouldn't have been signed. Fagan is the same age if not a year older and looks light years ahead of Barney. I'd happily have Fagan here tomorrow

In your opinion. I want to see Barney start a game, in a game that is set up to play to his strengths and not Corr's. Hopefully that might happen next Tuesday.

As to Fagan, I agree with you entirely. Out of every triallist we saw in pre-season, he was the one who impressed me most, and, particularly with Atkinson and Timlin being out recently, would have made a big difference to the way we've played.

This has to be one of the greatest shrimperzone threads ever. 4 games into the season, playing generally well, and with a results record of 2-1-1, and people want more strikers (we have at least 5 already). Are we playing Chamionship Manager here? I rather think we have a squad most other teams in this league would be very envious of. And what about a budget? Or should we not worry about that and keep signing more and more, then just blame Ron when the figures don't stack up?
I would politely suggest that the bank holiday weekend leaves some people with too much time to think things over - maybe we should all go back to work?

Yes only 4 games yet points are already being thrown away like confetti,As Rab pointed out is it 'papering over the cracks"?
The current standings for the teams we have played are 9th,18th,20th,23rd,We scored from the spot against Stanley who then concede 8 in their next 3 games,We could not score against Wimbledon who then lose their next game against Hartlepool who scored twice!,Stevenage IMO we were good for the opening 30 then faded away,Carlisle by many accounts we could have been 2 or 3 down if their finishing had been better.4 games quickly turn into 8 games and so on,Even Phil is moaning in the press.

Corr will score 15. Barnard, Weston, Coulhurst will get 25 between them.

Leonard, Clifford, Timlin, hurst and worrall will get 20 between them.

white, Prosser, Bolger and Coker will get 10 between them.

I make that 70 goals. That is 14 more than last year and one shy of Chesterfield's tally last year. So confident am I that I'll happily take a wager given that you think I'm so wrong.
Can you do my lottery numbers for me?

it's still early days. It does seem that Barnard can't play well, he has to score which is fair enough given his shocking record since coming back. its a shame he's here but he is and is more likely to produce the goods than Jason 'Gerd Muller' Williams but that might change. i personally hope he goes out and scores a couple in his next game so fingers crossed. I'm willing to give him a bit of time to do it personally

So BBBC is defended because he set two up against Stevenage. 1 game with return and three others where he is a waste of time. Barnard gets less pitch time but has scored, albeit a penalty, and as he won the spot kick he has an assist too which puts him on a par if not ahead of Corr.

The solution is simple. Our strikers cannot score but are forgiven for assisting so lets not play any strikers. Make it a 4-6 formation and let the plethora of mids buzz about and take it in turns to go for goal. :smile: Or maybe we can stop excusing players that seem to get cult status and accept we need to give chances to others that may or may not produce the goals but we will never know unless we try them.

Give Corr a rest on the bench and see how the forward line does without him. Yes I know Walsall I hear you say. One game is not enough. Lets try again.

So BBBC is defended because he set two up against Stevenage. 1 game with return and three others where he is a waste of time.

He put a great ball through to Weston against Wimbledon and if Weston had hit it with his right foot instead of god knows what then he would have had 3 assists and we could have won that game. Labelling a player a "waste of time" because he didn't score or assist is being quite simplistic and narrow minded. Coulthirst hasn't made an assist or scored so does that make him a "waste of time" too?

Yes only 4 games yet points are already being thrown away like confetti,As Rab pointed out is it 'papering over the cracks"?
The current standings for the teams we have played are 9th,18th,20th,23rd,We scored from the spot against Stanley who then concede 8 in their next 3 games,We could not score against Wimbledon who then lose their next game against Hartlepool who scored twice!,Stevenage IMO we were good for the opening 30 then faded away,Carlisle by many accounts we could have been 2 or 3 down if their finishing had been better.4 games quickly turn into 8 games and so on,Even Phil is moaning in the press.

You clearly love statistics so I just had a look at last years League 2 table after 4 games....

Oxford were top......and finished out of the playoffs
Scunthorpe were 10th on 5 points......i.e less points than we have now and gained automatic promotion.
Torquay were 13th on 5 points....and got relegated

The fact that Barney has yet to start a league game suggest that Brown does not see him as the best we have. He has though in 4 substitute appearances totalling less than 90 minutes scored 1 goal. Not a bad return for a back up player.

For me Barney was poor last year and possibly lucky to get a contract. However he has looked sharper this year and should be useful member of our squad. He should not be written off after 4 short substitute appearances.

The fact that Barney has yet to start a league game suggest that Brown does not see him as the best we have. He has though in 4 substitute appearances totalling less than 90 minutes scored 1 goal. Not a bad return for a back up player.

For me Barney was poor last year and possibly lucky to get a contract. However he has looked sharper this year and should be useful member of our squad. He should not be written off after 4 short substitute appearances.

As you like stats,

Barney's last 62 appearances =9 goals which 2 were from the spot!,7 goals from open play is not really good enough and the most ardent LB fan would struggle to justify his inclusion!

Facts are we need 11 every game putting in a shift yet at times Lee and Barry hinder us to the degree of we are actually playing with 9 players when they both play.

He put a great ball through to Weston against Wimbledon and if Weston had hit it with his right foot instead of god knows what then he would have had 3 assists and we could have won that game. Labelling a player a "waste of time" because he didn't score or assist is being quite simplistic and narrow minded. Coulthirst hasn't made an assist or scored so does that make him a "waste of time" too?

Yes but Weston did not score and thats why we are discussing this. Whether the term 'waste of time' is over the top or not is neither here nor there. He has not contributed anywhere near enough to be automatic choice on the team sheet.

As for simplistic its a shame that the team selection is not done simply. If you are on form you are in - if not work on it and come back when you are. Very simple.

As you like stats,

Barney's last 62 appearances =9 goals which 2 were from the spot!,7 goals from open play is not really good enough and the most ardent LB fan would struggle to justify his inclusion!

Facts are we need 11 every game putting in a shift yet at times Lee and Barry hinder us to the degree of we are actually playing with 9 players when they both play.

The thing is Mrs Blue I do not like stats. That why I picked some random ones from last season to show meaningless they can be.

With regards Lee Barnard I do not really care how many goals he did or did not score for Southampton. As I also said in my post above I think he was poor last year. However that was last season. I do though think he looks sharper this year and could be a valuable member of our squad.

I also agree that we need 11 players putting in a shift. Barry Corr may have his limitations, but not putting in a shift is not one of them - one of his greatest attributes is that always puts in 100% There has also been nothing wrong with Lee's work rate with the short time he has been on the pitch. Have they actually played together this season?

Back