• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is an interest argument. If you played a ten year old would he "only improve" because he had better players around him?

this is not a comment on Williams; I have never seen him play but I suspect Phil Brown has.

Brown sees Barney every day yet still selects him so Phil's idea of a player is debatable .

Barnard hasn't start a league game yet and I haven't seen enough of him this season to judge whether he will score goals so I can't make a comment. I have to admit that I was disappointed that Barnard came on instead of Layne when we played Stevenage though.

I don't think Corr will get 15 as his role is different this season, reckon it will be more like 10.

Also got a feeling (or hope) that Layne, Ellis Brown or Jason Williams will surprise us with a decent amount if given a decent run in the team which will probably come during the busy festive period.

I doubt they will be given a decent run to be honest. PB is a stubborn manager

Neil knows the game inside out and he surely seessomething which most fans fail to see.

I do like the fact that anyone with a contrary opinion to you is presented as an arrogant know it all but when you have a contrary opinion to a professional football manager it is him at fault.

for the record, I don't know anything, which is why I would rather put my faith in a professional who had a good year in 13/14 and I think will again in 14/15. Bleat and moan all you want, but don't lose sight of the fact that most of us here know next to nothing so some humility and decency towards those more qualified than us wouldn't go amiss.

I do like the fact that anyone with a contrary opinion to you is presented as an arrogant know it all but when you have a contrary opinion to a professional football manager it is him at fault.

for the record, I don't know anything, which is why I would rather put my faith in a professional who had a good year in 13/14 and I think will again in 14/15. Bleat and moan all you want, but don't lose sight of the fact that most of us here know next to nothing so some humility and decency towards those more qualified than us wouldn't go amiss.

Haha,

So we must not question Phil in his selection/tactics because he is paid !,Heard it all now.

I doubt they will be given a decent run to be honest. PB is a stubborn manager

I doubt he would have signed them without the intention of giving them a chance if they deserved it.

I can see this thread being bumped a few times during the season.

This is why I love this forum, always good for a laugh! Thanks again mrsblue, you've managed to put a big smile on my face! :hilarious:

I must admit I too am reading this with a grin......and you all know my feelings on SZ's biggest WUM. :smile:

What's that? Another negative mrsblue post you say? No, never! :winking:

I must admit I too am reading this with a grin......and you all know my feelings on SZ's biggest WUM. :smile:

What's that? Another negative mrsblue post you say? No, never! :winking:

I am positive about giving the youngsters a go.Now please add something interesting if you can?

Barney has played for about 75 minutes in the league this season? Scored one, a penalty which he won himself. Also forced a fantastic save from the Wimbledon keeper.

Last season, he was cack. But give him a chance this season.

Also, wasn't Payne the top scorer in the development squad last season? Why calls for Williams and not Payne?

Barney has played for about 75 minutes in the league this season? Scored one, a penalty which he won himself. Also forced a fantastic save from the Wimbledon keeper.

Last season, he was cack. But give him a chance this season.

Also, wasn't Payne the top scorer in the development squad last season? Why calls for Williams and not Payne?

I said on here months ago both lads should get their chance !

Last edited:
Haha,

So we must not question Phil in his selection/tactics because he is paid !,Heard it all now.

This is what is known as a false syllogism. There is nothing wrong with a healthy dose of skepticism but it is always worth remembering your own limitations.

I think that's my limit on this thread. It is clear your mind is made up. I half suspect you think you would make a better manager than Brown, and with that there can be no reasonable discussion.

I'd be very surprised if Williams makes a single first team appearance this side of Christmas. He's probably our 7th choice striker behind Corr, Barnard, Weston, Coulthirst, Layne and Ellis Brown.

Even though I'm not a great fan of Barney I'm surprised that no-one in this thread has mentioned the Walsall game, which was his only start in competitive games this season. I came away from that game thinking he was looking sharp, and well worth a start in the league. If you look back at the comments a lot of people were positive about his performance that night, against a League One first string outfit.

This is what is known as a false syllogism. There is nothing wrong with a healthy dose of skepticism but it is always worth remembering your own limitations.

I think that's my limit on this thread. It is clear your mind is made up. I half suspect you think you would make a better manager than Brown, and with that there can be no reasonable discussion.

Ok Neil thank's for your input which was really informative!

Even though I'm not a great fan of Barney I'm surprised that no-one in this thread has mentioned the Walsall game, which was his only start in competitive games this season. I came away from that game thinking he was looking sharp, and well worth a start in the league. If you look back at the comments a lot of people were positive about his performance that night, against a League One first string outfit.

I said exactly the same on here after Walsall - Barney looked fit, lively, sharp and was one of our best players on the night. I also said that if we weren't up against a very physical Stevenage side on the Saturday then I would have backed Barney to start ahead of Corr. He put in an excellent shift FROM THE START which is something that gets completely forgotten, it's easier to impress from the off than it is coming on for the last 10-15 minutes here and there when most players need 10 mins or so to get into the game. Barney was also extremely unlucky not to score against Wimbledon.

Agree with you 100% mate but unfortunately it's pointless arguing with some on here because they're either:

(a) completely closed-minded to anyone's opinion other than their own.

or (worse!)

(b) wind-up merchants who never have anything positive to say but are straight on here with the negatives when we don't win hoping to get as big a reaction as possible from people like you and me.

That's life I guess, at least it makes the Zone more interesting!

Brown sees Barney every day yet still selects him so Phil's idea of a player is debatable .

Or perhaps Phil sees Barney every day and still selects him, so he's in a much better position than any of us (and with more coaching qualifications!) to decide whether he is worthy of selection..... :whistling:

I for one am happy with our current manager. A very close run thing last season and the squad looks good again this season.

BBBC is not a prolific striker but without him we notice the difference . His hold up play should allow others to profit from it.
Barnard looks sharper and fitter than last season but is yet to convince me his age has not taken the edge of his game and that he is past it. Shaq has all the tricks but strikes me as a lad who given a goal to get his confidence up will still not be able to hit a barndoor. Weston looks usefull used in the right position. The youngsters aka Williams and like obviously do not show enough in training etc for PB to consider them a serious option. I believe that with an Assombolonga type player (which lets be honest everyone is trying to get) we would on here talking about being top of the league.

Lets pray that one of our strikers hits form because we are creating enough chances (against Wimbledon we put the ball across enough times for a striker to score)

All Forum members are entitled to their opinion as I like most on here watch every game and should have freedom to air our thoughts. One thing we must remember is we have a manager who came so close last year to getting us out of here, we play entertaining football compared to most previous seasons and are in with a realistic chance of promotion

Last edited:
Back