• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Barnet v Southend United, Saturday 24th August, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 120 90.9%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 121 91.7%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 117 88.6%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 119 90.2%
  • Joe Gubbins

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Nathan Ralph

• Cav Miley

• James Morton

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 120 90.9%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 78 59.1%
  • Jack Wood

• Jack Bridge

Votes: 115 87.1%
  • Adam Crowther

• George Wind

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 112 84.8%
  • James Hillson

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Mikey Faulkner

• Beau MacDonald

• George Moncur

Votes: 55 41.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Win

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 51 38.6%
  • Lose

Votes: 15 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions differ. For example I think kensdale is the best player at the club. He's brilliant on every level. Gubbins is an agricultural CB who gives up possession often.
Apart from defending ? Gubbins is a league two defender who’s been promised football but Maher now can’t drop his usual shoe ins to play … hopefully we will soon see a proper defensive partnership

As you say opinions !

Last edited:
Apart from defending ? Gubbins is a league two defender who’s been promised football but Maher now can’t drop his usual shoe ins to play … hopefully we will soon see a proper defensive partnership

Gubbins hasn't done anything to make me want him ahead of Ralph, Taylor and kensdale. Crowther and Gubbins will have to wait. We had one of the best defences in the league and no player is above that.

I actually prefer Crowther to Gubbins. Gubbins' deft pass straight into touch in the dying embers of the Boston game didn't endear him to me.

Crowther has a good strike rate from set pieces, something that both Kensdale and Taylor haven't got, which puts him ahead of Gubbins for me. I hope his calf injury is healing/healed so he can start getting some minutes in.

It looks like the latest interviews are being conducted in an interrogation room at the police station up the road on Vic Ave (not that I'd know what they look like in person, of course).

Surely they can find somewhere better. A logo board in the background could maybe generate a few extra quid?

Can't work out if he is super cool or pulled the short straw

As you say opinions !
We have the best defence in the league.
Not sure I see the problem that Gubbins solves. Lovely to have good depth in that position though and it's still weird talking about football.....not court cases

Opinions differ. For example I think kensdale is the best player at the club. He's brilliant on every level. Gubbins is an agricultural CB who gives up possession often.
I would say that Maher’s top 3 players are Kensdale, Miley and Cardwell. That’s his core. That’s the centre of the team (CB, CM, CF) and they play every minute of every game. They set the style we play.

After that you’ve got Ralph, Noor, Gus and Bridge. Moncur will probably fall into this group. They are very talented for this level and influential in the side but their roles are perhaps less fixed and they are less robust. Maher will move them around more and is more likely to sub/rest them.

You then have a group of Crowther, Gubbins and Walker. Maher’s recruited them because he obviously rates them and is looking for opportunities to play them but they may have to bide their time. Maher will have no qualms throwing them in though when the opportunity arises.

The next tier is Harry Taylor, Collin, Oli Coker. They’ve earnt their place in the XI but they originally got their opportunity more by chance than design. I get the feeling that Maher wouldn’t be averse to upgrading them and they perhaps have less room for average or poor performances than those in the tiers above.

Then you’ve got Morton, Waldron, probably Wind and Wood. They’re talented but yet to gain Maher’s trust. If they start they are likely to be subbed. They’re unlikely to get long runs in the starting line-up.

Finally Faulkner and Macdonald may become good players but they’re some way off being trusted. They may occasionally be named on the bench but I’d be shocked if they saw any league action before Xmas.

Oh clucking bell. Just what we needed. Barnet sign half the population of southern England this week and we lose key starters to the crock bin. Triffik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back