• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Barnet v Southend United, Saturday 24th August, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 120 90.9%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 121 91.7%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 117 88.6%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 119 90.2%
  • Joe Gubbins

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Nathan Ralph

• Cav Miley

• James Morton

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 120 90.9%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 78 59.1%
  • Jack Wood

• Jack Bridge

Votes: 115 87.1%
  • Adam Crowther

• George Wind

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 112 84.8%
  • James Hillson

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Mikey Faulkner

• Beau MacDonald

• George Moncur

Votes: 55 41.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Win

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 51 38.6%
  • Lose

Votes: 15 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Preview from the Barnet forum:

So..... Saturday sees us face off against the thames siders as we face Sarfend. Home of seafood, a long pier and our former coach.

Southend United are really a league one club and now that they have removed the Essex Lazarou from their club they will have high hopes of getting there as their sizeable support should allow a hefty transfer purse.

Despite being a larger club we always get a warm welcome there and some of our ITK also get the opportunity to lay additional flowers at the shrine of Saint Currie of the Spraytan. With Wes Fonguck now warming the bench at Ebbsfleet (when he can find it) Harry Taylor is the only ex bee on the playing staff at the Shrimpers. I have seen a few of their fans complaining about ticket releases but I am sure they will be ok in the whole of the 1966 stand and if not we will give them a block in legends. I just hope they don't let any success go to their heads and become insufferable like Chesterfiled and Notts County.

In terms of Barnet we were simply awful on Tuesday and I don't care if Forest Green Rovers stuffed their previous opponents 4-0 and are filled with League 1 Players we should be beating every team 5-0 as we are the favourites for the league and if we had taken a few of the speculative shots from the edge of the area with FGR players a yard away we definitely would have won 5-0.

In a world I like to call reality it will be another tough one and with us lacking striking options I can see it being won by the odd goal again. This is the team I would go with:-

--------------------------------------Hayes------------------------------------

-----------------Kizzi----------------Oluwu-----------------Kenlock---------

-----Kanu--------------------Tavares---------Hartigan--------Coker--------

----------------------Brunt-------------------------Clifford--------------------

--------------------------------------Stead---------------------------------------

Subs: Chapman, Gilmore, Okimo, Rye, Shelton, Francis, Hall-Johnson

I think casablanca is the way to go here. Chapman and RHJ may well force their way in in the coming weeks but if it ain't Ron Martin don't fix it.

It is set as an anonymous poll or purpose to save some people calling out others, for example. What on earth are those two Dicks (Names) voting for Gubbins etc. I think it works quite well as it is.

Maybe for the next match and onwards the 'voters publicly visible' option should be taken in the poll, it's not difficult. That said, if someone is being a nob it wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last, named and shamed or not.

Without taking this too far off topic, posters' votes can be displayed publicly as an option within a poll. It is also possible to set the maximum selectable responses, but not the minimum.

It is set as an anonymous poll or purpose to save some people calling out others, for example. What on earth are those two Dicks (Names) voting for Gubbins etc. I think it works quite well as it is.
I guess it’s a question for @Shrimpergonzo as he is our resident guru of the Pre-match thread!

Reactions: RHB
Where’s Nicke Kabamba for Barnet?

Was missing in their last game.

Will be a touch if he’s out.

I think it may be th same starting X1 as Tuesday if tere was to be a change perhaps Kev maybe tempted to start Moncur instead of Noor as it was Noors first match back from injury ,then substitute Moncur after 60 minutes for Noor, just a thought ,he has said he needs to manage their build ups to begin with, its good that we can now make 5 substitutions ,it gives minutes to others such as Wind ,Gubbins , Wood ,also Walker if fit enough,and a chance for some of the regulars to have a break . Anyway lets wait and see .

Where’s Nicke Kabamba for Barnet?

Was missing in their last game.

Will be a touch if he’s out.
He is injured, unless we are being sold a line, out for a couple more weeks too, was having a scan on his knee today. Browne is out for 5 weeks, so looks like Stead up front as a lone striker.

What should us Bees fans expect from Southend then? We've bought a lot of players in but still starting with 6 to 7 from last season so very much upgraded the squad. Starting 11 probably beter than last season but it's the bench we're I think we win games. Been fairly tight games of late with yourselves which we've squeezed through in. I expect similar on Saturday. Style of play still very much about not giving the ball away so we can look like we're going from side to side but eventually we find that space.

What should us Bees fans expect from Southend then? We've bought a lot of players in but still starting with 6 to 7 from last season so very much upgraded the squad. Starting 11 probably beter than last season but it's the bench we're I think we win games. Been fairly tight games of late with yourselves which we've squeezed through in. I expect similar on Saturday. Style of play still very much about not giving the ball away so we can look like we're going from side to side but eventually we find that space.
This is a game where the two teams are still finding themselves, with new players coming in, and in terms of playing style and best starting XI. For all those reasons I reckon it will be a very close game, probably with honours even. IF George Moncur does enter the game he could be the game changer, his cameo on Tuesday showed us what a midfielder with experience and class can add to a team, and the rest of the team reacted accordingly in terms of confidence. Whatever happens on the pitch, it will be a noisy bunch of supporters from both teams giving large as bragging rights will be up on offer to the winners.

sounds like 0-0 all over it. that's shot count, as well we final score.

early season, away to one of the promotion favourites. I can see Kev going with same sort of thing as Hartlepool. I think he's thinking get a point here then throw it all at Daggers on Monday. I expect Morton and Gubbins to come in and try to spoil it

I’m not sure what the deal is with Gubbins or where Crowther sits in the pecking order. The back 3 should be Taylor, Kensdale and Ralph and if anything, Kensdale should make way for Crowther who’s useful on set pieces etc. Tuesday night we looked so much more fluid. So I’d expect an unchanged starting line up even if Kev does want to go more defensive.

I’m not sure what the deal is with Gubbins or where Crowther sits in the pecking order. The back 3 should be Taylor, Kensdale and Ralph and if anything, Kensdale should make way for Crowther who’s useful on set pieces etc. Tuesday night we looked so much more fluid. So I’d expect an unchanged starting line up even if Kev does want to go more defensive.

Not disagreeing with you - or picking on you in particular - but it's been quite a change on here since Tuesday afternoon.

Before then, you would have thought that there was not much of a team to shout about, dreary matches & much huffing and puffing .........

............ and then Noor starts a game, Moncur materialises & hey-presto, there is an outbreak of harmony and accord as well as a general consensus that actually we do have a firm defence, a decent midfield & a good strike force (I likes Waldron I does).

Easy this footie lark eh?

Last edited:
Not disagreeing with you - or picking on you in particular - but it's been quite a change on since Tuesday afternoon.

Before then, you would have thought that there was not much of a team to shout about, dreary matches & much huffing and puffing .........

............ and then Noor starts a game, Moncur materialises & hey-presto, there is an outbreak of harmony and accord as well as a general consensus that actually we do have a firm defence, a decent midfield & a good strike force (I likes Waldron I does).

Easy this footie lark eh?
Yes it’s amazing what happens when the best available players are played in their best positions. Barnet will be a tougher prospect than poor old Boston were, for sure. Waldron will probably start again so it’s another chance for him to impress (unless we sign anyone tomorrow that is….) .. if we lose I’ll stay clear of here and the inevitable doom & gloom!

Agreed and no reason for Kensdale to miss out after Tuesday night. The others will get their chance at some point due to injuries or suspensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back