• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 2-1 Southend United

Cricko

Zone Owner ⭐⭐🦐
Staff member
When you consider the size and cost of Barnets much bigger squad compared to ours and the fact they are odds on to win promotion IMO we outplayed them at times. We lost momentum after the Pen was awarded but i never felt they were a million miles better than us. We were away from home and i think we deserved at least a point from that game,they were not superior to us over the 90 minutes.

It's a loss but it does not feel that bad everything considered, they will be very happy to have scraped through with a win.

I am still at a loss as to what Waldron, Wood and Morton bring to the team, but what do i know, i guess they just make up the numbers.

Amazing away following from the Mighty Shrimpers.

Over to you guys.

When you consider the size and cost of Barnets much bigger squad compared to ours and the fact they are odds on to win promotion IMO we outplayed them at times. We lost momentum after the Pen was awarded but i never felt they were a million miles better than us. We were away from home and i think we deserved at least a point from that game,they were not superior to us over the 90 minutes.

It's a loss but it does not feel that bad everything considered, they will be very happy to have scraped through with a win.
I am still at a loss as to what Waldron, Wood and Morton bring to the team, but what do i know, i guess they just make up the numbers.

Amazing away following from the Mighty Shrimpers.

Over to you guys.
...add Coker to the trio highlighted.
How did Crowther do while here?

The penalty took the wind out of our sails. If it hadn't happened I reckon we would have gone on to win. Waldron missed a golden opportunity too.

Barnet are going to be at the top this season but they struggled to beat us. We need another striker who knows where the net is....

**** poor all round today. Performance (are we allowed to say this yet?), home fans pathetic as always, our fans quieter than usual. And to top it off another horrendous set of officials. Hopefully we’re much improved on Monday

Got to disagree Cricko.

My thoughts we just were not in it first half. Second best all over the park.

Second half was better but after penalty we were bereft of any ideas. Far to much sideways and backwards football.

If we continue to play this way there is no chance of promotion let alone playoffs.

Might start asking questions of Kev if this style of play continues. It, in MY opinion is so predictable and uninspiring. They only way you win games is by scoring one more goal than the opposition. The way you do that is go Forward towards the goal. Please do not start about possession football because that does not wash with me.

Still, onto Daggers om Monday and 3? points

Entertaining match and a lot of positives to take from it, we held our own in the first half (despite how BBC Essex apparently made it sound) and we were the better team in the second until we fell asleep at the back to give them a penalty against the run of play.

I can see why Barnet are favourites to win the league but our starting XI (and Moncur) weren't far off their quality. Unfortunately the same can't be said for our subs who showed how little depth we have on the bench. Once we made our double switch our control of the match evaporated and we were lucky to not concede a third. It almost would have been better to just keep Waldron and Coker on the pitch, although maybe Kev wanted to keep them fresh for Monday. Once the League transfer window shuts hopefully we can bring in some reinforcements, I'm sure the three amigos know we need at least one or two more through the door.

We deserved a point here at least, but if you look at the chances created, Barnet could’ve won this much more convincingly.

Disappointing result overall, but Kev needs the additions he’s been crying out for if we seriously want to compete with teams like Barnet. Moncur changed the game, but having Wood as our forward off the bench killed it.

Collin 5 Worst I've seen from him in a while. Shakey, poor with the penalty and possibly the first. Kicking was poor.
GSM 7 Alongside Moncur, a class above at this level.
Taylor 6 Probably the pick of the bunch other than that moment of madness with the penalty.
Crowther 6 Did okay replacing Kendal and you wouldn't have guessed he was coming into the team. Dealt with the aerial threat relatively well.
Ralph 6 That late needless yellow card was rash, and he tended to step up a little too high and cause ourselves problems.
Bridge 7 A lot of what we did well came from him down the left.
Miley 6 Held his own, kept play going but this game passed him by a little.
Coker 5 Goes through the motions a bit in these tougher games.
Husin 6 Similar to Miley, and pushed his luck with a temperamental referee.
Cardwell 7 Won his challenges and chased everything, not much more you could ask of him with that little service up to him.
Waldron 6 Chased everything, and maybe could've done better with some half chances, but still not quite clicking.

Subs
Moncur 7 Immediately had an influence and took control in the middle, big factor in getting our equaliser.
Morton 5 He's an okay player, but he doesn't make a difference at this level. He's a guy you're okay to bring on if you want to see out a result, but doesn't give you what you need when you're chasing a game.
Wood 4 Ran around a lot and can't criticise his work rate, but his first touch just shows him up as not being at the same level as his team-mates.

We still need more. Our strongest 11 competes with anyone in this league but where we faulty is our strength off the bench. Take today for example, Morton and Wood are players who are technically good players but aren’t enough to open up games for us. That said, for all the money they’ve spent we more than matched them for periods of the game from what I saw which I admit, was limited due to being in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea on a cruise (which I admit, is softening the blow of defeat somewhat!).

Totally agree about those three. I think if we had finances and more choice at least two of the three would be on loan. None are up to this standard yet. If walker had been sent for a scan at the earliest appropriate time kev would have the relevant info but once again time wasting and dithering over injuries means nothing gets assessed properly. Hopefully it's been done now and it's hopefully not a problem. We need walker back.
Hopefully the teams increased fitness levels soon will mean we don't need to bring on sub NL standard players.
Felt we played ok for about a quarter of the game at best. Barnet looked fitter stronger and better drilled even with so many new players.
Hope we bounce back Monday but with only 2 days I can see fitness issues being a problem

Fair result, they edged it. Just. As they should as the big-spending title favourites at home.

I don't think there was much between the teams, but it's clearly that they absolutely zap us on strength in depth and what they cam bring off the bench.

We need to grow a bigger set of cajones going forward, and have the confidence to pass and move better.

I think we are still a forward-thinking central midfielder (not sure we can rely on Moncur for this all season) and a striker short.

Agree with a lot of what’s been said, rather than repeat I’ll take a different perspective. After scouting by John Still & his team we have recruited via from lower leagues the likes of Waldron, Wood, Kensdale, Morton and Crowther. Of those to date I would say Kensdale is a success, not seen enough of Crowther to make a judgement. Do players that aren’t being called good enough fall under poor recruitment? Simply they have not stepped up to full time and this level as hoped or are they talents that are being coached and managed in such a way that doesn’t play to their strengths? It feels like Kev has said keep ball at all costs, go sideways and backwards and drilled out any more risk/ reward type forward movement, passes and shooting. Barely threatened once after going behind. The mentality seems all wrong imo

Last edited:
Something the two Glenn’s on BBC Essex pointed out was crosses not being delivered early enough into the box, and the lack of playing it forward (especially in the added 5 minutes- always back to Collin 🤷‍♂️).

It’s something I posted on the post-Boston thread - why do we seem so scared to go forward again this season?

Back