• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Aldershot Town v Southend United, Wednesday 23rd October, 19:45 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be great to get 9 points this week. Sensing a draw sadly in this one.
It would be great and get us right back into the mix.

I do get what you're saying and actually, if we were to draw and win Saturday, 7 points from these 3 fixtures is a great return. However, we have a strike partnership which have been among the goals, the back three are now starting to gel and the midfield is starting to look more energetic with the addition of Coker. Let's go and get those 3 points tonight.

I get what some are saying about Wind. He undoubtedly had a good game, but come on, we aren't going to drop our best player for him and we certainly aren't going to change the whole shape and formation after winning two games and getting two clean sheets. It's brilliant that we have such good competition for Gus, but that's what Wind is atm. That isn't a bad thing either. Whomever gets picked tonight, let's get right behind them. COYB'S!

Last edited:
I may have missed this but why is this (and 5 other games) being played on a Wednesday instead of the Tuesday? Was it to mirror the way the Champions league split their mid week games or is it the National League making things up and switching things around to annoy fans

It would be great and get us right back into the mix.

I do get your saying and actually, if we were to draw and win Saturday, 7 points from these 3 fixtures is a great return. However, we have a strike partnership which have been among the goals, the back three are now starting to gel and the midfield is starting to look more energetic with the addition of Coker. Let's go and get those 3 points tonight.

I get what some are saying about Wind. He undoubtedly had a good game, but come on, we aren't going to drop our best player for him and we certainly aren't going to change the whole shape and formation after winning two games and getting two clean sheets. It's brilliant that we have such good competition for Gus, but that's what Wind is atm. That isn't a bad thing either. Whomever gets picked tonight, let's get right behind them. COYB'S!
Fully agree. We have a good chance tonight and if we do win these two games I expect us to really start motoring. Kev will obviously want to win this so make sure he instils that into the players. He deserves a change of fortune and to shush the naysayers. Come on, let’s do this!

We are capable of getting a good result tonight. We are defending better probably due to the back three and the keeper playing a few games together. The constant worry is the lack of goalpower especially from midfield and nothing from the central defenders at corners. Hopefully Oli Coker will start as he has goals in him. We have scored just two goals in the last three games and both were arguably down to mishits.

Watched the second-half of York v Barnet last night. Two good sides, sad to see Pearce starting to flourish at this level with the home side...........what could have been? A bit frightening to see the quality of opposition fighting to get out of this crap League.......those two sides plus Forest Green and Gateshead.:Sad: A win tonight would, at least move us towards the leading pack.

National League moved them, quoting some waffle about a DAZN trial.

A nice comment on TV's impact from the Aldershot fans forum:

"I'm still irked at TV companies ****ing about with our fixtures. It was one of the few perks about supporting a sh*t team."
😆

ECHOSPORT talks to Aldershot fan Cobie Ware ahead of tonight's clash with Southend United.

Aldershot are currently 16th in the table. What have you made of the season so far?

"So far Aldershot's season has been a rollercoaster.

"After a good start with a draw against Forest Green in a game which we should’ve won and a brilliant 1-0 away win at Halifax Aldershot have struggled.

"For the next few home games we continued to do well by beating Oldham 4-1 and beating Maidenhead 4-3 but we struggled on the road and then once our home fixtures got tougher we went winless in seven.

"Overall it’s not been a great start but it’s important to remember it’s only October, there’s a long season ahead!"

You finished eighth last season. Why do you feel this season hasn't started quite so well?

"In my opinion the main reason we haven’t done as well this season is due to not having the same players we did.

"Josh Stokes and Lorent Tolaj contributed to 45 per cent of our goals last season and with both of them leaving it’s always going to be a struggle.

"One saving grace is that five of the seven home games we’ve played have been against sides in the top six in the league.

"They are always going to be really tough games so hopefully we can start to pick up more results now that those games are out of the way.

"Before our game against Eastleigh we were only four points worse off than this time last season so by no means is it a disaster.

"The squad as a whole is stronger than last year and there’s a lot of potential in the group so there’s no reason why we can’t easily turn it around and go on a good run."

What do you feel Aldershot can achieve this season?

"I think we can still be in with a shout of the play-offs but as things stand I think we will be mid table.

"Hopefully that FA Cup win against Bath can be a real turning point in the season for us as we managed to follow that win up with a brilliant win against a side we always struggle against in Eastleigh.

"As I mentioned previously there’s a lot of potential in the group so if the management team can get the squad to reach their full potential then there’s no reason why we can’t have a good season.

"Last year we narrowly missed out on the play-offs after looking like we were certain to make it so it would be amazing to get over the line this time around."

Who is the dangerman?

"Aldershot’s biggest danger men have to be Josh Barrett and James Henry, if they are on it then they are a nightmare to deal with.

"James started the season like a house on fire winning the August player of the month scoring five and assisting one, looking unplayable at times.

"With more than 600 games played League One or higher before his move to the Shots, James is a really experienced EFL player and that shows when he’s out on the pitch.

"Josh is often overlooked due to him having a slightly bigger build but he’s technical ability is unreal.

"He’s an incredibly creative player who can unlock a defence with ease at times."

What's the team news?

"Aldershot have been hit with quite a few injuries in recent weeks.

"We’ve had three centre backs out with dislocations or broken bones within the space of six weeks which is far from ideal.

"As well as this Christian Maghoma is serving a three match ban after that horror challenge in the Fa Cup so he also won’t be available for the game.

"In more positive news Manny Maja is finally back from injury, Tyler Frost is fit again and Jack Barham's looking fitter every game that goes on so we’re looking OK going into this tough clash.

"In regards to the starting line-up I expect a bit of rotation in the forward line but due to the injuries I don’t expect any changes defensively."

I'm yet to see Wind play

But from what I saw in the highlights, Wind seems a more defensive version of Gus and looked he is more comfortable in a 1 on 1

Can anyone provide some insight, I'm just curious 🦐

Certainly in the first half I noticed that much of our attacking intent came down the other side. Having said that both Wind (& Taylor) were solid & composed on that side of the defence.

Whether Wind is more defensive in general or was "playing it safe" (or was told to play in that way) I don't know. [shoulder shrug]

Wind certainly put the effort in and was suffering from cramp towards the end of the game.

Overall a very solid performance from Wind on Saturday that has rightfully earned him praise.

Early doors as HB would say, but a few Shrimpers already in the Queens Hotel enjoying all a local Wetherspoons has to offer 🍺 🥂 😄 (was going in the George, but the locals in there this early were, er, interesting, & that's saying something where I actually moved on to!)

Still, as a now west Londoner, nice to see a good beer from my part of the world, &, on a deal, only £1.99!! Last pint locally, even Fullers ESB as it was, £6.25 😱

2-1 Shrimpers, as a few have said, & as a veteran of the Boxing Day Floodlight robbery, we're owed one 😁

IMG_20241023_163957.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back