• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Aldershot Town v Southend United, Wednesday 23rd October, 19:45 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
More than likely and a valid point
At the risk of playing Devil's Advocate, KM would probably cite squad rotation, 3 games in a week and tactical reasons for Gus coming straight back in from the start. It's a squad game these days, it's about the starters and those that finish the game, hence we now here coaches refer to finishers rather than substitutes. The days of not changing a winning team, like 4-4-2, doesn't have the relativity it once did, "The times they are A-Changin' " as Bob Dylan foretold ! 😉

Aside from the obvious messaging challenge of the wind v Gus recall, I felt we looked much better defensively with wind at rwb.

But that's the problem with wing backs - do you want a defender or an attacker. I think this is where the wing back formation loses its efficacy as you can't have both.

Perhaps this is the dilemma that's been created with our prior poor defensive performances.

Removing bridge arguably our most creative player now means we have to create more centrally as we have no attacking width.

Expecting lots of 1-0s/0-0s with goals from set pieces and moments of brilliance.

We have had comfortably the better of league matches with Aldershot over the years having played them 86 times, winning 35, drawing 24 and losing 27. Despite this supremacy, our recent record has been not so good. In the last 30 years we’ve played them 12 times. We’ve lost 7, won 2 and drawn 3 scoring just 12 goals (that goal count being improved significantly by our 4-1 win last time the two sides met!).
Above From Marvellous Mick's Ref thread but blimey, how the Mighty Shrimpers have fallen since 1990 when we scored 10 in a single game. 🤣🤣 I'm in the West Stand shadows around the half way line.

We all need cheering up sometime!!

4 4 2
Colin
Wind taylor crowther Ralph
Gsm Husin morton bridge
Pepple
Walker
I think Collin in as GK would be better.
Wind and GSM would, maybe, make that right side strong; and also same for Ralph and Bridge on the left.
Your suggested line up is harsh on Coker? we didn't do very well without him in midfield and when he comes back in we seem more solid and win both games?
All acedemic anyway as there is little chance the squad ethos/system will alter to a 4 4 2, nor should it in my onions.
Mr Widdrington does like his teams to be physically strong, robust, press and niggle; they usually work and work.
First showing for the light blue kit?

Have they moved us out of the standing covered terrace that we’ve had previous years? Our site appears to suggest so

Have they moved us out of the standing covered terrace that we’ve had previous years? Our site appears to suggest so
I watched a bit of their game v Eastleigh , and it appeared that Eastleigh fans were behind the goal. I E. opposite end to Alder**** fans, rather than sharing the same stand (as was the last time I went there)

Thinking of driving to this one. The car is still filthy from the jaunt to Rochdale, reckon i'll get just enough sleep on our return to be up for work at 4am. The lads can train out of London and i'll meet them there. 3 away wins on the trot ?? How lucky can a fella get 😄
Watch out for Junction 10 A3 . Horrible roadworks still ongoing causing chaos. I live locally around Guildford and avoid it big time

Above From Marvellous Mick's Ref thread but blimey, how the Mighty Shrimpers have fallen since 1990 when we scored 10 in a single game. 🤣🤣 I'm in the West Stand shadows around the half way line.

I was in the West that evening too. Not a lot of us as I remember. We could have waved to each other.

Remember being 5 up at half time and saying to my 10 year old son, that’ll be it now no more goals in the 2nd half!!!! More than 30 years on and I still know Jack s**t about football 🫣🤣

I watched a bit of their game v Eastleigh , and it appeared that Eastleigh fans were behind the goal. I E. opposite end to Alder**** fans, rather than sharing the same stand (as was the last time I went there)
the Eastleigh fans were on the terrace to the left of where we normally stand as they didnt need the bigger section. there is a video of them trying to get at each other at some point but the area between them and where we stand was empty. if you go online the big section is open for us

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back