• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Aldershot Town v Southend United, Wednesday 23rd October, 19:45 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

All the updates from Southend United pre-match chat.​

By Chris Phillips

4:38pm
Do you think you've turned a corner now or too early to say that?

Maher: "I think that's a dangerous assumption to make. We're pleased in terms of a couple of results we've got and we always knew we were a bit behind. In an ideal world you want your new players in during pre-season so they can work and learn how you work too. But injuries, players leaving and players coming in a bit later meant we knew it would take time. There's still work to do and we've got to keep on picking up points. Hopefully players have settled into the building a bit more now, got to know us and we've got to know them too. We're still finding out about people and how they play. It takes times time but you can't underestimate the impact of the injuries we've had. The likes of Cav, Danny Waldron, Josh Walker and Oli Coker have all been out. That's all contributed to what has perhaps been a slower start but we will get there. We will get stronger."
4:34pm
More on the game from Maher: "We always have a really good following there which makes for a good atmosphere. I think they've always been good football matches when we've played them. They've been open and entertaining and proper matches between two teams who want to win the game. It has the makings of a good one again but we'll have to be bang at it. We'll have to be ready to go and ready to attack the game."
4:32pm
On Aldershot's start, Maher adds: "They had a very good result at the weekend and they'll be pleased with that. When you look at what they did last year they had a brilliant season not just in the league but in the FA Cup as well. When you lose players like they have, who have probably brought in a lot of money for the club by the way, it's going to affect you. It's similar to us after what we've lost. It can take a while to settle down but I'm sure they will be fine. They've got some very good players. They've had injuries as well like us but sometimes it can take a while to get going. A win on Saturday will be massive for their confidence."
4:30pm
On competition for places, Maher says: "It's something we haven't had. I saw a stat the other day about us being one of the teams who have made the fewest subs in the league. We brought Zach (Jeacock) in to add competition there and he's definitely done that with how he trains every day, how he acts and works hard. It's the same with Windy (George Wind). He's been training properly and he's a good lad. He came in on Saturday and performed which is what you want. We need competition all over the place and we still believe we're a couple short. Successful teams have that. You look at teams who have gone up from this league or who are near the top and they have competition for places all over the team. We've been a bit behind in getting to that position but slowly we're getting there."
4:27pm
Maher adds: "It's back to basics a little bit but clean sheets are important for confidence with the players, especially away from home. Standards have got to be high and they've set them the last couple of games. Are they all going to go that way? Probably not but we've got to aim to keep on doing the right things and get the basics right. Winning breeds confidence and hopefully the lads are in a good place going into what is notoriously a tough game. It's been difficult every time we've gone there."
4:24pm
On goalscorer Josh Walker, Maher adds: "Josh had the injury which was a setback for him but he's come back and looked sharp. He maybe got a bit of luck with the goal but he's in the right place at the right time. We know Josh is a good player but it's about everyone contributing. That's all the forwards and it's important to have competition in that area."
4:22pm
Up next is Blues boss Kevin Maher.

He starts off by looking back at Saturday's 1-0 win at Rochdale.

He says: "We're pleased with the performance and the win. We had the discipline within the game and it's nice to get a win and the clean sheet.

"It was a tough game but the message is to keep doing things right and getting competition for places. You have to earn the right to stay in the team, train properly every day and keep the things right that we know we have to do."
4:15pm
What does it mean for you to play for your hometown club?

Coker: "It's brilliant. The home crowd and the away fans we get, even at Rochdale on Saturday, is ridiculous really. It's brilliant to play for them every week and I'm buzzing. I was eight when I first joined and I'm 21 now so it's really good. It means a lot for me to play for Southend."
3:50pm
What are your own hopes for this season after breaking through last year?

Coker: "Just to build on it really and get as many games in as possible. I know I've missed a few through injury now but I want to get my numbers up. I want to get assists and goals. I want to get as many of them as possible. The position I play I do feel I need to get my numbers up. Goals is a big part of that. Every team needs a centre mid who can get goals and hopefully I can get more under my belt."
3:46pm
On facing Aldershot, Coker says: "It's another tough game. It's tough against anyone in this league but we're ready for the test. We've got some confidence back and hopefully we'll get the win."
3:45pm
Coker adds:" Watching the games when injured was tough but you could see what the boys were trying to do. We're not trying to change what we've been doing the last couple of years. It's about getting the patterns in and hopefully we'll get the three points."
3:43pm
On the current midfield line-up, Coker says: "It's good. Last year we had a few games with different players playing but it's the same system and we're used to each other in training. It's a good mix."
3:42pm
How tough was it to get the injury?

Oli: "It was frustrating. I've had a few problems with my ankle before but it's just one of those things. You've got to get the strength back in there. After scoring against Dagenham I was looking to make it a good game but it's one of those things."
3:41pm
First up is Oli Coker who has started the last two games after recovering from an ankle injury
3:33pm
We will be speaking to Oli Coker and boss Kevin Maher
3:31pm
We're back at Boots & Laces this afternoon as Southend United get ready to take on Aldershot Town.

I'm yet to Wind play

But from what I saw in the highlights, Wind seems a more defensive version of Gus and looked he is more comfortable in a 1 on 1

Can anyone provide some insight, I'm just curious 🦐

I think Collin in as GK would be better.
Wind and GSM would, maybe, make that right side strong; and also same for Ralph and Bridge on the left.
Your suggested line up is harsh on Coker? we didn't do very well without him in midfield and when he comes back in we seem more solid and win both games?
All acedemic anyway as there is little chance the squad ethos/system will alter to a 4 4 2, nor should it in my onions.
Mr Widdrington does like his teams to be physically strong, robust, press and niggle; they usually work and work.
First showing for the light blue kit?
I would prefer your opinion rather than your 'onions'. Predicted text really is a bummer isn't it?

Above From Marvellous Mick's Ref thread but blimey, how the Mighty Shrimpers have fallen since 1990 when we scored 10 in a single game. 🤣🤣 I'm in the West Stand shadows around the half way line.

We all need cheering up sometime!!
We also beat them 5-0 both home and away in the league around that time.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back