• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not "by all accounts" at all.

Watch the extended highlights, note the shot that was just wide after 30 seconds. Note that he could have taken Robinson's cross in and scored himself but left it for Ranger and then followed up in case of a spill. And note also, the intelligence of his set up to Lenny for his goal. He was in their face most of the game, he was at the centre of much of the action and involved in frequent "smart passing" movements, he linked up particularly well with John White.

FWIW,I happen to agree with you, after seeing the 10 minutes + highlights on BP.

Think the moaners are going to have to get off his back.He's clearly not going to get dropped while fit.

Fair point Andy. Still don't like the stat, particularly the way Sky persistently roll it out at the first sign of a managerial change. I just hope they don't cotton on to another worthless stat on your hyperlink :- The previously unheard of "GpH" or Games per Honour to the uninitiated. Can just see Jim White, Julian Warren et al having a collective orgasm over that tasty titbit.

Yep, the 'gph' is ridiculous.

I think the reason some people get on Woody's back is that he has a bit of a languid running style compared to Lenny or Atko. But from watching him, I bet the stats will show that he actually puts in a decent shift in terms of movement and chasing. Obviously not on the same level as Atko (who if he had more vision and technique has a premier league engine) but IMO probably above average for this division.

Wasn't there and listened on the radio. Sounded like a professional job well done, but surely we shouldn't be easing up against anyone.

Every game has to have a high intensity. Have we played well for 90mins all season?

I think the reason some people get on Woody's back is that he has a bit of a languid running style compared to Lenny or Atko. But from watching him, I bet the stats will show that he actually puts in a decent shift in terms of movement and chasing. Obviously not on the same level as Atko (who if he had more vision and technique has a premier league engine) but IMO probably above average for this division.

^
This.

Also, Will has played and scored in the Premier League, albeit one of his fleeting appearances.

What about Hines and Nouble?

Yep, them, too.

They've been cover for wide players and forwards, who tend to be rotated more, towards the end of a game.

Hines Beans is a goner, though, in the mould of Jamal Loafer, from last season!

One can still be a successful manager and "arse" - Who is the special one Brown or Mourinho?

If Brown could keep his gob shut sometimes he wouldn't make an "arse" of himself so often. He shouldn't make promises in statements to the press that he can't keep and shouldn't always blame someone else when things go wrong. His ranting at refs is embarrassing - he has been in the game long enough to know what to expect. Whilst I want us to be successful whereas when Tilly was successful I could say it couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke - I could never say the same about Brown.

Kev I would be interested to know how often you manage to see a game these days. As someone who has lived between 40 and 90 miles from Southend for the last 45 years - some of the performances under Brown have been worse than torture to witness after a 2 -3 hour journey. It's far easier to keep up with the score on the radio or online or teletext for those old enough to remember.

Only been in Spain this time since late November and have seen much of the Brown era. Some poor performances for sure and especially last quarter of last season. However, I felt the football under Paul Sturrock was so dire that even the oft-defensive PB a massive improvement in line with achievement.
PB has an air of arrogance about him - I love that. I want our Manager to believe in himself.
As for saying things? Yes he said Amos may play snd no he did not feature at Cov. Do I care? If we had lost? Possibly. As we won 2-0? I do not care. The result is king.h

Only been in Spain this time since late November and have seen much of the Brown era. Some poor performances for sure and especially last quarter of last season. However, I felt the football under Paul Sturrock was so dire that even the oft-defensive PB a massive improvement in line with achievement.
PB has an air of arrogance about him - I love that. I want our Manager to believe in himself.
As for saying things? Yes he said Amos may play snd no he did not feature at Cov. Do I care? If we had lost? Possibly. As we won 2-0? I do not care. The result is king.h

I can see peoples point of view, we won....but apparently Cov were the worst team many have seen, so poor. In that case it's not really a convincing win, out teams form is a worry, in my head I'm not chalking this one as a result, strange I know.

Funny how people view things.

On the one hand, there's calls that Theo should retain his place for Saturday, as he's proved he should start, yet on the other, the result is meaningless, as Coventry were about as good as a local park side.

On the one hand, there's calls that Theo should retain his place for Saturday, as he's proved he should start, yet on the other, the result is meaningless, as Coventry were about as good as a local park side.

Really? Three points is three points regardless of the opposition.

Agreed and of course it is.

It's not my view 'RHB' but the view of others, when it comes to deciding on who had a good game or not, for future selection.

That is a worry, and a view of many. I am concerned, I would like to see the announced Amos.

I've been a supporter since 1947 when my father first took me to Grainger Road. I've been a season ticket holder for over 40 years. During that time we have had numerous managers, not one of whom have escaped criticism from the supporters. In my view Phil Brown is probably one of the best managers we've had in the last 70 years. Indeed I believe that only Dave Webb (First time around) and possibly Judas Fry can match him. We should judge Phil Brown by his results and the results he is achieving show how nonsensical it is to call him an "arse".

Good points, please post more often.:thumbsup:

I've been a supporter since 1947 when my father first took me to Grainger Road. I've been a season ticket holder for over 40 years. During that time we have had numerous managers, not one of whom have escaped criticism from the supporters. In my view Phil Brown is probably one of the best managers we've had in the last 70 years. Indeed I believe that only Dave Webb (First time around) and possibly Judas Fry can match him. We should judge Phil Brown by his results and the results he is achieving show how nonsensical it is to call him an "arse".

You forgot to mention Colin Murphy as one of the all time great managers ..................:unsure:

I can see peoples point of view, we won....but apparently Cov were the worst team many have seen, so poor. In that case it's not really a convincing win, out teams form is a worry, in my head I'm not chalking this one as a result, strange I know.

As bad as they were, we scooped six points from them - they might grab a draw or win against someone at the top and help us out.

Won 1 (home to Gillingham) Drawn 4 lost 16 since 1st November. They could be due a win at Scunthorpe on the last day of the season as a goodbye to league 1! Stranger things have happened.

The manager is doing a good job overall, but I'm not clear why we signed Amos, Hines, Nouble in the window when none of them are likely to start, and we had promising youngsters wanting a place on the bench already. In last season's January window he did the same thing - added more average players who provided more quantity and little extra quality - I'm surprised he hasn't learned. Unless he thinks he's keeping the rest of them on their toes by doing this.

Back