• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whole squad on furlough - or not!

There won’t be as many clubs with large squads. All the clubs are going to be struggling financially and cannot afford to hold onto fringe players or injury prone players. Big squads will be a thing of the past in the lower leagues. I think the players need to be careful because they may end up struggling and have to take a job outside of football.

I understand that the furlough scheme isn’t good for the high earners but a lot of other people are in this same situation. It’s not just football!

This is an incredibly worrying development. Ron doesn't have the money to pay them. Even if their contracts are up, he still needs to pay them until the end of the contract and then an additional 13th month severance payment. He also needs to pay the taxman. Unless there's a solidarity payment or transfer fee instalment due we have zero income at the moment (and haven't since March).

If/when Ron is late paying them we start the season on negative 3 points and with unhappy players (or no players).

Your glass is certainly half empty..

I haven’t even cracked open the first can of the day yet

Ricey says "the players" so I initially took that to read all players- I don't know maybe it means all maybe it doesn't.

Initially, seven players were put on furlough. This new move includes the remaining squad.

For the players out of contract or with contract offers this could mean the club now lets them go- they then just join another 1400 players in the EFL as unemployed, many of whom wont be seen in the EFL again. For this reason I would be very surprised if it is all the players.

It is all of the players.

Probably we are talking about those sat on contracts with a year or more to run- they will get paid as I see little prospect of Ron failing to pay them and ending up on an EFL charge. If they persist they may find themselves transfer listed but they may not care. However, if you look through that list of players after the mid-season clearout the list is somewhat depleted.

You’ve lost me here.

I suspect the hoped for melt-down and Ron's demise may prove somewhat illusive on this score..

Again, you’ve lost me.

I know you have a real hard time taking what I say to be truthful, but seeing as myself and certain others have been spot on with plenty of goings on inside the club, maybe for once you should look past the idea of simply attacking the messenger or questioning the motives.

This isn’t a courtroom, and neither is it a cross examination.

This is an incredibly worrying development. Ron doesn't have the money to pay them. Even if their contracts are up, he still needs to pay them until the end of the contract and then an additional 13th month severance payment. He also needs to pay the taxman. Unless there's a solidarity payment or transfer fee instalment due we have zero income at the moment (and haven't since March).

If/when Ron is late paying them we start the season on negative 3 points and with unhappy players (or no players).
I am sure you are very much hoping he can pay them if he has to, in which case I suspect you won't be disappointed..

You say he hasn't got the money as if its a fact. I think you may find it isn't. But not long to wait and we will find out who is right and who isn't I guess.

Irrespective of whether he can pay then frankly moving the players to furlough, as many other clubs have done, until there is clarity on when the new season starts is just sensible.

This is my worry too.

Ron needs to find that warchest now, more than ever.

We do have a glimmer of hope though, in the form of the council’s eagerness for the FF plans to move forward. That could/will allow Ron to attract some outside investment.

However, the reality is we could wel be facing a repeat of summer 2010

I haven’t even cracked open the first can of the day yet

Initially, seven players were put on furlough. This new move includes the remaining squad.

It is all of the players.

You’ve lost me here.

Again, you’ve lost me.

I know you have a real hard time taking what I say to be truthful, but seeing as myself and certain others have been spot on with plenty of goings on inside the club, maybe for once you should look past the idea of simply attacking the messenger or questioning the motives.

This isn’t a courtroom, and neither is it a cross examination.
Sorry if you take it the wrong way and sorry if I am losing you. Please don't assume I'm having a "go" if I question what you say. And, please don't take it personally, if I don't take everything you have to say as 100% the case. Without your input the forum would be far less interesting.

For example I find it very difficult to believe that all of the players have refused to go on furlough. The reason is if your contract is up in 2 weeks, or even more so if you are seeking to negotiate a new one, or have been offered a new one, if you now refuse furlough the club/Ron can just release you. And you end up with 1400 other unemployed players many of who wont be playing league football next season? Now you may know for a fact that players in this situation are refusing to go on furlough. Obviously I don't so that is my opinion to share for the sake of debate?

Certain players and should I say the youngsters we need for the future are fuming
Not been contacted in four months ( Whether again you wish to believe me is your choice) and then contacted with basically “ I hope you are keeping well blah blah blah and by the way you are furloughed “

Three of the youngsters are gutted and I think one who 99 percent adore for his attitude maybe gone if the right offer comes in

GBJ who I don’t know is spot on with 99 percent he has posted, players talk and it isn’t long before it gets out

Again believe what you want to believe, but the signs of players are not good and that is not just poor management but mental health care by the club
Never dull nowadays

I am sure you are very much hoping he can pay them if he has to, in which case I suspect you won't be disappointed..

You say he hasn't got the money as if its a fact. I think you may find it isn't. But not long to wait and we will find out who is right and who isn't I guess.

Irrespective of whether he can pay then frankly moving the players to furlough, as many other clubs have done, until there is clarity on when the new season starts is just sensible.

He's either grossly incompetent or he doesn't have the money. Which is it?

If he had the money, why didn't he use it to lift the transfer embargo so we could sign players in the January window? Then again in February why didn't he pay our debts so the two Macclesfield players could be registered?

Why did he have to seek an extension to the HMRC case instead of simply paying it off which would have dismissed the case?

The facts show that he hasn't the money. I hope he will be able to beg and borrow enough to keep us going but it's not a foregone conclusion.

So just to clarify, the players are refusing to go on furlough despite many of the people who fund their wages through ticket sales and subscriptions being furloughed themselves?

Tbh I'm beginning to wonder whether Ron has got enough patience to keep running this club and might just fold it, if we have to pay the non-players full wages for being sat at home doing nothing then we might as well go under now rather than waiting for the death by a thousand cuts

These players are in for a rude awakening if they think their getting better deals elsewhere. I can’t see most of them playing in the league again.
Will be interesting to see how this unfolds, I’m not swallowing the cyanide just yet though.. like some on here. I swear people get off on thinking the worst.

For example I find it very difficult to believe that all of the players have refused to go on furlough. The reason is if your contract is up in 2 weeks, or even more so if you are seeking to negotiate a new one, or have been offered a new one, if you now refuse furlough the club/Ron can just release you.

I’d suggest they’re even more inclined to refuse furlough, if their contract is up at the end of this month.

The furlough letters the players received (I have seen one) state that furlough will begin from June 1st.

What would you rather do? Accept one months worth of furlough payment, or demand your full months wages (which could be as much as £20k)

And you end up with 1400 other unemployed players many of who wont be playing league football next season? Now you may know for a fact that players in this situation are refusing to go on furlough. Obviously I don't so that is my opinion to share for the sake of debate?

Again, I know the players are refusing. I knew it two days ago, when a senior pro contacted the PFA for some clarity.

I have also seen the players’ univeral response, in which they have refused to accept.

Will it hurt their chances for a contract renewal? Maybe. But if you’re facing down the barrel of (upto) a £10k monthly debt, then you have to think logically.

He's either grossly incompetent or he doesn't have the money. Which is it?

If he had the money, why didn't he use it to lift the transfer embargo so we could sign players in the January window? Then again in February why didn't he pay our debts so the two Macclesfield players could be registered?

Why did he have to seek an extension to the HMRC case instead of simply paying it off which would have dismissed the case?

The facts show that he hasn't the money. I hope he will be able to beg and borrow enough to keep us going but it's not a foregone conclusion.
I can only talk to the bit related to what I posted. And that is (primarily as a result of the movement on the RH/FF development) I believe there will be funds injected to cover HMRC and the current requirements. This will be proven correct or incorrect July latest. I guess even if you disagree you will at least hope i’m right.

He clearly didn’t have the money in Jan, or indeed Feb/March. I wouldn’t think anyone would suggest otherwise. I think it was can’t pay not won’t.

I’d suggest they’re even more inclined to refuse furlough, if their contract is up at the end of this month.

The furlough letters the players received (I have seen one) state that furlough will begin from June 1st.

What would you rather do? Accept one months worth of furlough payment, or demand your full months wages (which could be as much as £20k)

Again, I know the players are refusing. I knew it two days ago, when a senior pro contacted the PFA for some clarity.

I have also seen the players’ univeral response, in which they have refused to accept.

Will it hurt their chances for a contract renewal? Maybe. But if you’re facing down the barrel of (upto) a £10k monthly debt, then you have to think logically.
My point was only about those who either wanted and were negotiating a new contract, and those already offered a new contract. It’s obviously a tough choice but in some cases logic will say accept furlough and a new contract verses the alternative- anyhow a lot of all this gets answered over the coming few weeks.

What was the end date of the furlough period on the letter, be interesting to know.

From my experience there doesn't need to be an end date stipulated just a notice period to return, mind you if the government scheme ends before the next season starts then things will get very very difficult for nearly every club in the country

From my experience there doesn't need to be an end date stipulated just a notice period to return, mind you if the government scheme ends before the next season starts then things will get very very difficult for nearly every club in the country
You see thats not my understanding, my wife’s for instance said end of May, then she got another saying end of August but could end sooner with 2 weeks notice. The one I am getting on Monday coming says October but can be sooner with 2 weeks notice.

You see thats not my understanding, my wife’s for instance said end of May, then she got another saying end of August but could end sooner with 2 weeks notice. The one I am getting on Monday coming says October but can be sooner with 2 weeks notice.

I’m currently furloughed (have been since March 23rd) and my employer is still saying until further notice.

Back