• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whole squad on furlough - or not!

£2500 per week is below the average wage at Southend. There are still people on £5k a week, some on £4K. Plenty on £3k.

Some of the players have mortgage payments of £6k-£8k per month, alongside car rentals, credit cards, utility bills etc etc.

One player has said furlough payment is £1700 net.

We would all love to swap our wage packets with a pro footballer, but it’s worth remembering that their debts won’t be like the average workers.

If my debts were anywhere near £10k a month, I’d be exceptionally anxious right now. We all would.
Per MONTH, not week

£2500 per week is below the average wage at Southend. There are still people on £5k a week, some on £4K. Plenty on £3k.

Some of the players have mortgage payments of £6k-£8k per month, alongside car rentals, credit cards, utility bills etc etc.

One player has said furlough payment is £1700 net.

We would all love to swap our wage packets with a pro footballer, but it’s worth remembering that their debts won’t be like the average workers.

If my debts were anywhere near £10k a month, I’d be exceptionally anxious right now. We all would.
But thats relative isnt it, ther payments relate to what they earn and say someone on 25k a year being furloughed lives to his means too. So 80% of anyone’s salary will impact them.

Companies are going out of business all over if they can only survive by doing that they have no option, It isnt nice i agree, i have suffered from this but 80% or nothing i know what was better for me. Just because people have high expenses related to a higher income should not exclude them from being furloughed or treated differently.

Again it isnt nice, I do feel for them, and as I say my family have had to adjust due to my wife being furloughed. I expect to be furloughed my self in the next couple of weeks now the vote is all done. That will also impact my family, not nice but we will adjust like most of the country have

The furlough scheme is 80% of your wage upto £2500 a month not a week.

There seems to be some confusion here, I wasn’t referring to the furlough scheme in that post, I was referring to the clubs wages.

2.5k wages per week, is well below the average wage of the club. Not furlough monies.

But thats relative isnt it, ther payments relate to what they earn and say someone on 25k a year being furloughed lives to his means too. So 80% of anyone’s salary will impact them.

Companies are going out of business all over if they can only survive by doing that they have no option, It isnt nice i agree, i have suffered from this but 80% or nothing i know what was better for me. Just because people have high expenses related to a higher income should not exclude them from being furloughed or treated differently.

Again it isnt nice, I do feel for them, and as I say my family have had to adjust due to my wife being furloughed. I expect to be furloughed my self in the next couple of weeks now the vote is all done. That will also impact my family, not nice but we will adjust like most of the country have

If you’re earning £2k a month, and the furlough scheme covers 80% of that, it’s not the end of the world.

If you’re earning £15-£20k a month & all of a sudden that drops to £1700, that is a cause for concern.

I understand that it is what it is, and there’s not much that can be done about it. I don’t think anyone is looking for special dispensation, and all I’m pointing out is that whilst we all dream of a pro footballers income, right now it would be more a hindrance than a help.

If you’re earning £2k a month, and the furlough scheme covers 80% of that, it’s not the end of the world.

If you’re earning £15-£20k a month & all of a sudden that drops to £1700, that is a cause for concern.

I understand that it is what it is, and there’s not much that can be done about it. I don’t think anyone is looking for special dispensation, and all I’m pointing out is that whilst we all dream of a pro footballers income, right now it would be more a hindrance than a help.

Indeed - and they are predominantly young people who perhaps are less likely (at least from my experience with my own) to see the virtue of saving when you can have something now on credit. Fear of the money disappearing is less when you are young. That said I am sure many of all ages will have an different view on saving and debt after this experience..

Reactions: GBJ

I don’t disagree, but it’s happened to others not just footballers, say you earn 8k a month and go to 2k then you still feel the pinch. It is a hard situation to be in, be even worse if you went from full salary to nothing.

I am not disagreeing with you just saying it is happening to a lot of people, on a lot of salary ranges not just footballers

By not doing it SUFC and other companies could be hindered even more than they are now, perhaps as 6 clubs face right now, going out of business altogether. Take Wycombe, they have told their furloughed staff to look for employment elsewhere while they lose 350k per month.

I don’t disagree, but it’s happened to others not just footballers, say you earn 8k a month and go to 2k then you still feel the pinch. It is a hard situation to be in, be even worse if you went from full salary to nothing.

I am not disagreeing with you just saying it is happening to a lot of people, on a lot of salary ranges not just footballers

By not doing it SUFC and other companies could be hindered even more than they are now, perhaps as 6 clubs face right now, going out of business altogether. Take Wycombe, they have told their furloughed staff to look for employment elsewhere while they lose 350k per month.

The only part I’d disagree with, is dropping from £8k a month to £2k isn’t so much of a pinch, more of a full-on, Mike Tyson left hook.

And dropping from £20k to £1700 is even harder still.

We as fans need to recognise that whilst pro footballers are (normally) well paid human beings, they are still only human beings, and this could affect them significantly.

Last edited:
The only part I’d disagree with, is dropping from £8k a month to £2k isn’t so much of a pinch, more of a full-on, Mike Tyson left hook.

And dropping from £20k to £1700 is even harder still.

We as fans need to recognise that whilst pro footballers are (normally) well paid human beings, they are still only human beings, and this could affect them significantly.
While the monetary value is different, most people in the UK live to their monetary limits so the net effect is the same in that your mortgage is what you can afford, your car payments relate to what you earn, your household expenses are what you can afford.

I do not know what you earn but imagine your family had to drop 6k income a month i think you would feel the pinch. Hopefully no one in your family is furloughed, I wouldn’t want that for anybody.

I

While the monetary value is different, most people in the UK live to their monetary limits so the net effect is the same in that your mortgage is what you can afford, your car payments relate to what you earn, your household expenses are what you can afford.

I do not know what you earn but imagine your family had to drop 6k income a month i think you would feel the pinch. Hopefully no one in your family is furloughed, I wouldn’t want that for anybody.

Mate, you’ve lost me completely now. I don’t think we’re in disagreement with each other per se, I think some wires are getting crossed.

Re-read what I’ve said.

My initial point, was that although footballers are often thought of as well paid individuals, and therefore better off than most of us, it’s imperative to understand that in the current climate, they will feel this furlough harder than we do, because of the limitations to it.

Mate, you’ve lost me completely now. I don’t think we’re in disagreement with each other per se, I think some wires are getting crossed.

Re-read what I’ve said.

My initial point, was that although footballers are often thought of as well paid individuals, and therefore better off than most of us, it’s imperative to understand that in the current climate, they will feel this furlough harder than we do, because of the limitations to it.
Yes totally agree. Your right we are.

I just wanted to hilight that anyone affected will feel those limitations too.

Glad all sorted

Reactions: GBJ
The players have refused furlough and are now entitled to their full pay.

As I alluded to a couple of days ago, there was more to this than what was being reported.

If it’s not resolved, legal action will be taken by the players against be club.

The ball is in Ron’s court now, but frankly I see this ending in tears & we’ll have a repeat of last time we were relegated from Lg1, where we lose everyone... which includes our valuable assets.

I hope Ron has kept Paul Sturrock’s number.

As I alluded to a couple of days ago, there was more to this than what was being reported.

If it’s not resolved, legal action will be taken by the players against be club.

The ball is in Ron’s court now, but frankly I see this ending in tears & we’ll have a repeat of last time we were relegated from Lg1, where we lose everyone... which includes our valuable assets.

What for demanding their full wages when the club has had next to no income since March and millions in the same situation have accepted furlough?

Your glass is certainly half empty..

Ricey says "the players" so I initially took that to read all players- I don't know maybe it means all maybe it doesn't.

For the players out of contract or with contract offers this could mean the club now lets them go- they then just join another 1400 players in the EFL as unemployed, many of whom wont be seen in the EFL again. For this reason I would be very surprised if it is all the players.

Probably we are talking about those sat on contracts with a year or more to run- they will get paid as I see little prospect of Ron failing to pay them and ending up on an EFL charge. If they persist they may find themselves transfer listed but they may not care. However, if you look through that list of players after the mid-season clearout the list is somewhat depleted.

I suspect the hoped for melt-down and Ron's demise may prove somewhat illusive on this score..

Back