• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who will be team captain?

Who will be team captain? - When Maher & Warren go?

• Darryl Flahavan (If he stays!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leon Cort

• Drewe Broughton

• Mark Bentley

• Lewis Hunt

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Duncan Jupp

• Jay Smith

• Tes Bramble(Can you really see it?!)

• Michael Kightly (Yeah, right!)

• Other (Please specify)

• Total voters
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 17 2004,11:15)]It would be ironic if our best player by a mile left to a mild ripple of suprise yet a mediocre player like Jenkins leaves and we are on the verge of a mass suicide.
like 10,000 spoons when you need a fork?

Jupp's behaviour in recent weeks has made him look a tad unstable, frankly - so not sure I'd want him wearing the captain's armband.

Goalies make poor captains, as a rule - the captain should be in the middle of the park, leading by example.

If Wozza was staying, he'd be a shoo-in. He has the temperament, ability and cojones to be captain.

If not... I (like plenty of others, it seems) have gone for Mark Bentley. He has the stature and physical presence to be captain; he exudes captaincy material.

The only down-side, I suppose, is that he hasn't been with us that long; in which case, I'd be tempted to pick Leon Cort - for the same reasons as picking Mark Bentley.

Bit surprised/disappointed to hear of players possibly going elsewhere after the season we've just had... but there you have it.

rock.gif
sad.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 17 2004,11:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 17 2004,11:15)]It would be ironic if our best player by a mile left to a mild ripple of suprise yet a mediocre player like Jenkins leaves and we are on the verge of a mass suicide.
like 10,000 spoons when you need a fork?
Or even a knife, Naps
biggrin.gif

At the risk of more Alanis references... it would also be ironic that Warren's in line for the arm band when being asked to accept less money.

Surely his package (oooer) must be improved if Maher does go and he's in contention to take his place.

[b said:
Jumping the gun, old boy.

Jenks has gone, and so there is a genuine outpouring of sentiment - not only at the fact that he has left, but also at the fact that he was, in effect, released.

Maher hasn't gone yet - and may not. Hence people are hanging fire. And, besides, there's not an awful lot we could do to influence whether he stays or goes... I should imagine that there wouldn't be an awful lot we could do to compete with Sheff Wed's wages or facilities.

However, I agree with the sentiment you express (and totally disagree with fbm, which is unusual) - namely that it wouldn't be anything other than catastrophic if we were to lose Maher. People seem to forget what a massive influence he is in midfield... and how we generally look pretty lost in the middle of the park when he isn't there (e.g. Huddersfield away).

Matt

<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>I don&#39;t think he will go - but IF he does, then I reckon the 32 year old ex-southend player will reign.</span>
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 17 2004,11:27)]
[b said:
Jumping the gun, old boy.

Jenks has gone, and so there is a genuine outpouring of sentiment - not only at the fact that he has left, but also at the fact that he was, in effect, released.

Maher hasn't gone yet - and may not.  Hence people are hanging fire.  And, besides, there's not an awful lot we could do to influence whether he stays or goes... I should imagine that there wouldn't be an awful lot we could do to compete with Sheff Wed's wages or facilities.

However, I agree with the sentiment you express (and totally disagree with fbm, which is unusual) - namely that it wouldn't be anything other than catastrophic if we were to lose Maher.  People seem to forget what a massive influence he is in midfield... and how we generally look pretty lost in the middle of the park when he isn't there (e.g. Huddersfield away).

Matt
I think the proof is in the pudding Matt. What have we achieved while Kev has been the kingpin for the last 5 seasons?

Bugger all - apart from a trip to Cardiff. No top half finishes, predictable football, poor goalscoring record, woeful set pieces (mostly taken by him), his lack of goals and assists speak for themselves, and he has put in some truly woeful performances this season (mainly pre Christmas).

Things have now turned around of course but whilst I will freely admit that the last few months has seen Maher produce easily his best stuff for us, I think that a Smith/Bentley/Pettefer/Gower midfield is more exciting and will give the opposition more to worry about.

I also have this general feeling that Kev is the only remaining part left over from the relegation seasons... time for a change methinks.

Having said that, I will be quite happy if he decides to stay - just not too upset if he goes, if that makes sense.

[b said:
Hallejua,

If Hull and Shef. Wed. are interested in OUR BEST PLAYER, then was does it say for us &#33; No Ambition &#33;&#33;&#33;
He&#39;s the best in our division and would be even better at a higher level. It&#39;s the other to**er&#39;s round him &#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 17 2004,13:01)]I think the proof is in the pudding Matt.  What have we achieved while Kev has been the kingpin for the last 5 seasons?

Bugger all - apart from a trip to Cardiff.  
I think it is a scandal that Kevin Maher hasn't single handedly got us into the champions league during his time at the club.

Why should we have to rely on at least 10 other players to help him out?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 17 2004,13:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 17 2004,13:01)]I think the proof is in the pudding Matt.  What have we achieved while Kev has been the kingpin for the last 5 seasons?

Bugger all - apart from a trip to Cardiff.  
I think it is a scandal that Kevin Maher hasn't single handedly got us into the champions league during his time at the club.

Why should we have to rely on at least 10 other players to help him out?
I think you're missing the point.

Of course there are 11 players in a team, and no one player can do it on his own.

But when a team is built around one individual, which it has been for the last 5 seasons, then you would expect that one individual to have a reasonably positive impact on the teams performances, otherwise there is no point in making him the kingpin.

My gripe about Maher has never been that he is not good enough to be in the team; of course he is, and would get into every team in this division.  But he is not worthy of the super-influential status heaped upon him, simply because as a player he is not super-influential.

To sum up - he's good, but he ain't THAT good.

[b said:

Things have now turned around of course but whilst I will freely admit that the last few months has seen Maher produce easily his best stuff for us, I think that a Smith/Bentley/Pettefer/Gower midfield is more exciting and will give the opposition more to worry about.
It's neither right nor reasonable to lay the blame for our recent dire football at the feet of Maher, simply by virtue of the fact that he's the captain and lynchpin.

After all, given the mediocrity (and/or inconsistency) of players that he's had the "joy" of playing alongside - Connelly, Livett, Forbes, Thurgood, Marney, Clark - is it any wonder that we've struggled?

Let's look at his midfield partners in recent seasons (with no. of starts/subs):

<span style='color:blue'>2000-01 (Final pos - 11th): Lee (37/5), Forbes (28/7), L. Johnson (20/1), Hutchings (14/0), Black (11/5), Williamson (9/3), Connelly (8/1), Houghton (7/2)</span>

<span style='color:red'>2001-02 (12th): Thurgood (34/5), Hutchings (28/1), L. Johnson (24/4), Selley (14/0), S. Clark (8/3),Barry-Murphy (8/0), Kerrigan (6/5)</span>

<span style='color:blue'>2002-03 (17th): Smith (30/1), Jenkins (29/5), S. Clark (20/13), Marney (13/4), Selley (11/0), Thurgood (7/20), G. Strachan (6)</span>

<span style='color:red'>2003-04 (17th): Gower (40/0), Hunt (23/3), Smith (16/2), Bentley (15/6), Corbett (13/4), Odunsi (12/0), Pettefer (11/0), Nicolau (9/0), Jenkins (7/9), Fullarton (7/0).</span>

Contrast the players in previous seasons to the ones signed this season.  Which of the ones in previous seasons have gone on to a league club with any success?

Answer: one - Leon Johnson... as a defender, not a midfielder.  Same goes for Lewis Hunt - he would/will be a quality defender wherever he may go; but he simply doesn't cut it as a midfielder IMHO.

A further two of those players went on to league clubs (namely Lee, who went to Hull; and Hutcings, who went to Orient), but both were in the non-leagues within just over a season... Hutchings has now retired.

So, fbm... I'm still going to disagree with you.  Yes, we've been poor for the last few years.  We've needed changes in midfield for a long time, and now we've finally got them.

But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Maher has finally been given decent midfielders to play alongside, midfielders such as Corbett, Gower, Bentley, Jay Smith, Nicolau, Kightly and Constantine - almost all of whom, in all likelihood, could find another league club if they wanted to.

Let's see what we can do with Captain Kev now that we've given him decent players to play alongside him in midfield, eh - rather than been not too fussed whether he stays or goes.

Indeed, it might be argued that Kev's performances have kept us away from the relegation trapdoor at a time when the absence of quality elsewhere in the squad might have taken us down.  What certainly shouldn't be argued, IMHO, is that Kev hasn't done enough to take us up - when looked at in the light of the players he's had to play alongside.

Matt

P.S. On a related theme... my David Lee rose-tintedness is well justified... according to Soccerbase, Lee was our top scorer in the League in 2000-01... with a massive 8 goals.

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 17 2004,14:03)]P.S. On a related theme... my David Lee rose-tintedness is well justified... according to Soccerbase, Lee was our top scorer in the League in 2000-01... with a massive 8 goals.
Yes, but Curruthers and Abbey both also scored 8, I think. Add that to a few from Leo Roget, and Whelan in defence, plus 6 from Tes towards the end, and although we had no-one who scored bucket loads, we had plenty who could score.

[b said:
Bl**dy hell, Matt&#33; What&#39;s with all the stats&#33;
laugh.gif

To the quote, well said. Can&#39;t believe people on here are sadder to see Jenks go than Maher(if he is going&#33;). Maher has given excellent service to the club, Jenkins was poor&#33; You only need to look at games where we haven&#39;t had Maher availabe to see how important he is.

If he should go, and Warren, then I think Jupp should be captain as he&#39;s not afraid to shout at people and he always gives 100%.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 17 2004,14:03)]
[b said:

It's neither right nor reasonable to lay the blame for our recent dire football at the feet of Maher, simply by virtue of the fact that he's the captain and lynchpin.

After all, given the mediocrity (and/or inconsistency) of players that he's had the "joy" of playing alongside - Connelly, Livett, Forbes, Thurgood, Marney, Clark - is it any wonder that we've struggled?

Let's look at his midfield partners in recent seasons (with no. of starts/subs):

<span style='color:blue'>2000-01 (Final pos - 11th): Lee (37/5), Forbes (28/7), L. Johnson (20/1), Hutchings (14/0), Black (11/5), Williamson (9/3), Connelly (8/1), Houghton (7/2)</span>

<span style='color:red'>2001-02 (12th): Thurgood (34/5), Hutchings (28/1), L. Johnson (24/4), Selley (14/0), S. Clark (8/3),Barry-Murphy (8/0), Kerrigan (6/5)</span>

<span style='color:blue'>2002-03 (17th): Smith (30/1), Jenkins (29/5), S. Clark (20/13), Marney (13/4), Selley (11/0), Thurgood (7/20), G. Strachan (6)</span>

<span style='color:red'>2003-04 (17th): Gower (40/0), Hunt (23/3), Smith (16/2), Bentley (15/6), Corbett (13/4), Odunsi (12/0), Pettefer (11/0), Nicolau (9/0), Jenkins (7/9), Fullarton (7/0).</span>

Contrast the players in previous seasons to the ones signed this season.  Which of the ones in previous seasons have gone on to a league club with any success?

Answer: one - Leon Johnson... as a defender, not a midfielder.  Same goes for Lewis Hunt - he would/will be a quality defender wherever he may go; but he simply doesn't cut it as a midfielder IMHO.

A further two of those players went on to league clubs (namely Lee, who went to Hull; and Hutcings, who went to Orient), but both were in the non-leagues within just over a season... Hutchings has now retired.

So, fbm... I'm still going to disagree with you.  Yes, we've been poor for the last few years.  We've needed changes in midfield for a long time, and now we've finally got them.

But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Maher has finally been given decent midfielders to play alongside, midfielders such as Corbett, Gower, Bentley, Jay Smith, Nicolau, Kightly and Constantine - almost all of whom, in all likelihood, could find another league club if they wanted to.

Let's see what we can do with Captain Kev now that we've given him decent players to play alongside him in midfield, eh - rather than been not too fussed whether he stays or goes.

Indeed, it might be argued that Kev's performances have kept us away from the relegation trapdoor at a time when the absence of quality elsewhere in the squad might have taken us down.  What certainly shouldn't be argued, IMHO, is that Kev hasn't done enough to take us up - when looked at in the light of the players he's had to play alongside.

Matt

P.S. On a related theme... my David Lee rose-tintedness is well justified... according to Soccerbase, Lee was our top scorer in the League in 2000-01... with a massive 8 goals.

ghostface.gif
In a phrase:

"Keep Maher Good!"

It&#39;d be a shame to see Kev go as I think he is one of the best players in the side if not the division.

However, as many have said we haven&#39;t achieved a lot with him being our focal point. Maybe it&#39;s time for a change for both him and us.

It would be a very very sad day If he leaves, hes been here for 7 years and so loyal. One of my all time favourites&#33;

So please please stay kevin ,and be the player who lifts the div 3 trophy next may&#33;

Back