• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southgate resigns - Who next for the England Manager's job?

Who next for the England Manager's job. Southgate Resigns.

• Total voters
Do I give a flying **** whether the Spanish supporters are dancing in the streets or cheering their returning team? No I do not. BBC, stop rubbing salt in the wound and get on with broadcasting relevant stuff. (relevant stuff is anything other than Spaniards celebrating).

Tbh it doesn't really matter who the manager is. After every tournament we have the same debates about managers, tactics, players, systems, etc.

The real truth is that the media have over time, made the England players believe they are better than that actually are. You only have to look at their over inflated prices and their ego's match. They're individuals with power, not a team. That's why Southgate wouldn't drop the likes of Kane. Until these things change, we're not winning anything, as history repeatedly tells us. The FA will not appoint a Klopp. It'll be a Potter or Howe, who will pick the players that the senior players dictate picking. And repeat.

Got to be English. otherwise what's the point? might as well have transfers for international players as well if you're going to have foreign managers. same for every country, not just England. Each country needs to be managed by someone from that country.

I think there's not much difference between any of them. they'd all be swimming against the tide. Spain won under a coach no-one had ever heard of. Argentina won the world cup with a bloke who's never managed a club game. they have invested in them, had patience. as they have with the players. we have lots of money and see only short-term profit. we have clubs owned by foreigners who care nothing for this country, and nothing for anything beyound a quick few quid.

So Potter? Howe? Dyche? It doesn't really matter. But at least they'd be English. But that's not just about passport, it's also about the system that sits underneath them, the pathways, the development that they sit atop.

if we go foreign it says a lot about this country, and not in a good way. it means we can't develop our own, won't invest, just expect to buy success ready made. and that's sad

We want the best man for the job, and for me it doesn’t matter where they are from, England, Germany, Argentina or even Mars.

Wouldn’t have thought Klopp would be interested to be honest, has turned down USA and said he wants a break. We are harder to turn down than USA, but I can’t see it.

I wouldn’t mind Poch. Works well with the youngest, and we have a great crop coming through. Likes to play on the front foot, but never won anything at Spurs, and struggled at PSG. Turned Chelsea around superbly at the end of the season.

Cooper and or Howe are the best this country has to offer, and I wouldn’t see a huge problem with either of them.

We need to build on what Southgate has achieved and done during his tenure. Two finals, a semi final and a quarter final is not to be sniffed at, and he has given me my best years as an England fan. I was gutted he couldn’t see us over the line last night, I wanted nobody more than him to do it.

He has turned us around from a laughing stock in 2016, where people didn’t want to come and play for the national side, to a force on the international scene with a club side like changing room. People actually want to turn up and represent their national team, bar Ben White…

He has done a remarkable job, and whoever comes in needs to build from that, not rip up the copy book and start a fresh…

Got to be English. otherwise what's the point? might as well have transfers for international players as well if you're going to have foreign managers. same for every country, not just England. Each country needs to be managed by someone from that country.
It's easy saying that as a country fortunate enough to have a strong setup but that rule would be disastrous for smaller nations that maybe have 1 or 2 managers who are even qualified to manage a national side. If you extend the rule so that all coaching staff have to be from the country some nations might struggle to even have a full set of coaches.

does nt matter who i would like it wont happen , anyway i think the FA have a succession plan in place ,meaning Carsley will be the next manager. Hes done well with the younger age groups as did GS.

Howe if we have to go English....or Klopp for me.

But it will end up being someone equally as nice (and boring) as Gareth.... Probably Graham Potter *sigh*

Southgateball has bored me ****less for years and it has lost the majority of the crowd.

Look at Spain, proof you can play entertaining front foot football and win trophies. You just need the right coach and players. We have the players....The FA need to grow a pair and appoint someone with a bit of character that isn't afraid to play out from the back, or press from the front. But most importantly, can get the best out of our talented squad. Which Gareth has failed to do, unfortunately.

Potter would be my choice and I think it will be him. He's English, a good age, good amount of experience including abroad, likes to play attacking football, did a great job at Brighton and then wasn't given the time needed at Chelsea. He's been out of work a while now so should be raring to go.

Some thoughts on the other names mentioned:

Klopp/Pochettino - Very good managers no doubt, but a German or Argentinian as England manager just wouldn't go down well. Klopp wants a year off anyway.

Howe - Would he want to leave Newcastle? If so I certainly wouldn't be against it.

Cooper - Just taken a new job, not enough top-level experience yet but possibly one for the future.

Mourinho - Like Cooper, just taken a new job. Otherwise I would've been keen.

Completely expect it will be Lee Carsley.

For all the efforts to create an England DNA for both player and coach, the FA wanting to keep continuity and to cause the least disruption to the environment that’s been created.

I also think the FA will look at the way the Spain manager was promoted through the system and want a piece of that pie.

Potter would be my second guess, think he’s got a similar yes man image which would appeal to the FA and to be fair I think he’s a pretty decent coach and probably as good as England have.

Last edited:
Back