• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southgate resigns - Who next for the England Manager's job?

Who next for the England Manager's job. Southgate Resigns.

• Total voters
Out of the English choices it's Eddie Howe for me. I do feel that we need a more attacking player to become manager though.

Seems to be the case that most managers were defenders in their playing career.

Will the FA appoint another Capello or Eriksson figure or go with homegrown appointment.

Klopp could be an interesting appointment.

Unless we relocate the entire England set up to the South Coast , we wont get the best out of Howe.
If its not Bournemouth he struggles

1721126600567.png

Timing is everything, I think Howe should make the jump now as I can see pressure mounting on him at Newcastle if they're not in the Champions League mix again by Xmas, and having to work within strict FFP restraints, maybe hes taken them as far as he can. The people that hired him have just gone from Newcastle.

A real shame that Southgate’s elected to leave now, rather than at the end of this year. It would’ve been fantastic for him to have received something of a send-off that he so greatly deserves. Hopefully the FA can do something about that, as the entire country should be hugely grateful for his efforts in modernising the national game.

The next appointment is unbelievably crucial. The culture and structure Southgate and the team around him have implemented must be upheld - anything else threatens to be hugely detrimental. It’s why the likes of Tuchel, Mancini, Mourinho just shouldn’t be considered, as they’d be anathema to so much of that.

From those being talked up today, it’s Carsley for me. Learn from how other nations have built a culture and identity, and lean into the familiarity that builds within it. Continue to build on Southgate’s foundations and see where it takes us.

The skillset to manage a club must be very different to those needed to manage a country - I wouldn't take success at club as an indicator of likely success at country level

By the time of the next Euro's I'll be 60 and England have won nothing in my lifetime.

The current style of low blocks and slow play is so boring to watch even if we are making semi's & finals now.

If we are going to go another 60 years without winning then at least make it enjoyable to watch and go out in a blaze of attacking glory rather than the current obsession of trying to bore the opponents to death and still not win anyway.

Please make it an attack minded coach rather than defensive.

Southgate pulled us out of the mire of Iceland and Hodgson/Capello but we now need someone to take us that next step which he is incapable sadly due to his tactical deficit. I suspect we wont go down the foreign route again as it never worked before. Potter, Howe, Carsley it will be one of those.

What Southgate has achieved shouldn't go unrecognised. Not just with the men's team, but also the whole programme of elite English football due to his time with the U21s. We now are winners at U21 and U19 level which is a massive achievement and the pipeline of elite talent in this country is very bright.

Southgate provided a relaxed and united platform to enable players to feel supported and valued. You can see this in how he's run his camps and integrated young players and relied on older players to become a leadership team.

He clearly has some tactical limitations, but he also is someone who trusts his players and won't make rapid changes to his approach which risks upsetting the squad. He had a fairly banged-up squad for this Euros which limited what he was able to do. We didn't have a in form left back until Shaw returned for the semis, and we didn't have a natural number 9 to cover for Kane's fitness issues. We also missed a number 6/CDM to take some of the pressure off both Mainoo and Rice.

going forward, we'll still have these issues. We're always going to have squad issues when we get to the summer, and we don't have a replacement for Kane or Walker waiting in the wings. Someone is going to have to come in and probably continue to work with these older players for the WC and plan ahead for the home Euro's which I think should be our primary target. That means building on what Southgate has already set in place - England camps and squads with good vibes and attitude, accelerating young stars like Mainoo, Wharton into the first team setup. I think someone like Klopp is probably to divisive, both with the FA and also with the squad. I'm not against a foreign manager, it worked for the women, but I think Southgate understood more than anyone the unique pressure the England team are under. Poch would be a good option as I think he has a good balance. If not the English options look fairly limited. I'm not convinced Howe or Potter will want it as the next step in their career. We could end up with someone a bit more left field like Lee Carsley

Regardless of your successor, thank you Gareth for the hard work you have put in to running the England set-up over the past 8 years. We are in a far better shape now than when you took over and it's just a big shame that your efforts were not rewarded with the ultimate successes in various tournaments.

I can't fault Gareth for how he made the England camps a more positive place that players enjoyed, a good man manager, but tactically his limitations were on show from the Croatia semi onwards.

I can't see Poch taking it as a proud Argentinan...

Back