• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southgate resigns - Who next for the England Manager's job?

Who next for the England Manager's job. Southgate Resigns.

• Total voters

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐🦐
Staff member
Gareth Southgate has called it a day in the England hot seat. So who would you like to succeed him?

Once we have a few names in the frame I'll add a poll and we can see the Zoners' preferences emerging.

1721027825324.png

Last edited:
Sean Dyche
Mauricio Pochettino

I’d be very happy with either of those. Dyche has done very well with a poor Everton team.

Poch could bring some flair and a more attack minded brand of football.

Both modern and current managers with experience at the top level.

Sean Dyche
Mauricio Pochettino

I’d be very happy with either of those. Dyche has done very well with a poor Everton team.

Poch could bring some flair and a more attack minded brand of football.

Both modern and current managers with experience at the top level.
Christ alive, if people complain about Southgate's football, Dyche wouldn't stand a chance.

Torn between Klopp and Howe. Both tick the boxes for me. Front-foot, high tempo, pressing football mixed in with good man management skills.

The man management skills are just as key as the tactical acumen. The culture, atmosphere and togetherness that Southgate has instilled must not be allowed to regress. Not even one little bit.

Ultimately, they'll probably plump for Lee Carsley to provide continuity of FA/St. George's coaching principles and for the players coming through from the U21s.

Torn between Klopp and Howe. Both tick the boxes for me. Front-foot, high tempo, pressing football mixed in with good man management skills.

The man management skills are just as key as the tactical acumen. The culture, atmosphere and togetherness that Southgate has instilled must not be allowed to regress. Not even one little bit.

Ultimately, they'll probably plump for Lee Carsley to provide continuity of FA/St. George's coaching principles and for the players coming through from the U21s.

Can I ask why high-tempo, pressing football is so important to you?

Tournament football is played in June and July at the end of a gruelling Premier$hite season (granted our best players were knackered after long seasons in La Liga and Bundesliga).

If we want to maximise our chances does it make sense to try and play this way or should we instead consider a more hot climate appropriate style of football?

Can I ask why high-tempo, pressing football is so important to you?

Tournament football is played in June and July at the end of a gruelling Premier$hite season (granted our best players were knackered after long seasons in La Liga and Bundesliga).

If we want to maximise our chances does it make sense to try and play this way or should we instead consider a more hot climate appropriate style of football?
It's the way I like my football played.

Most teams play out from the back, so it makes sense to me to put pressure high up the pitch, direct the opposition into your strongest areas, set up traps and close their passing lanes.

You don't need to do it at full pelt all game. I don't think any team that plays that way does that.

It's also logical. Moving the ball at pace, or running and getting the ball in behind, unsettles and gets the ball up the pitch quicker without resorting to going direct and having a higher risk of losing possession.

Play everything sideways and backwards at a snail's pace, all in front of the opposition and with statues off the ball like England have done, and it's easy to play and defend against.

England has the talent to be so much more.

Klopp? A not insignificant chunk of England’s travelling support still take great delight in singing about the pursuits of the RAF nearly 90 years ago, I dread to think what they’d do if an actual German was placed in charge of the national team, let alone if he went onto lose a game.

For Pochettino, see above but amend for Argentina/Falklands narratives.

If Southgate’s football is drab, then Dyche will get given one tournament cycle before the pitchforks are out in full force.

Mourinho’s cancerous.

Howe’s Newcastle stank the place out for much of last season.

Above all, however, all those listed have cut their teeth at club level and have limited tournament experience, where the demands are unique and the rigours entirely different. Spain, despite being unfancied in the build-up to the tournament, lit it up, won every game and were the best, most tactically astute team in Germany. De La Fuente’s previous management experience has mostly been with Spain’s age group sides, and before that in development football.

Southgate’s been hugely successful in dragging England from the abyss of 2016, and a considerable part of that has been in instilling a philosophy and culture that has cleaned up the national team.

If Southgate is to go, my personal (albeit probably unpopular) suggestion would be someone like Steve Cooper. A Southgate/Ashworth disciple, someone with international youth tournament pedigree, who this and the next generation of internationals will know, and who could build on the platform that now exists.

No way that Klopp or Poch would take the England job. Neither is that crazy. Mourinho might be, but those moaning about Southgate's defensive style would be begging for good old Gareth back after a few games. Jose had his day in the sun .... far too controversial and outspoken for the FA anyway. They'll go internal or a 'safe pair of hands' like Howe.

Lee Carsley would be my shout, for continuity's sake and the fact he's worked with Gordon and Palmer and knows how to beat Spain in a final.

Would love klopp.... full throttle attacking football but he won't want to manage England given he German. Howe the obvious choice but not sure he would want to leave Newcastle currently.

Back