• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When will the takeover go through? Council / Citizen Housing agree new Heads of Terms 26 June

As has been said Tommy, the Council have to satisfy themselves that they can't/wont be shafted by Ron and his financial buddies when it comes to rentals and payments to Ron's companies. We all want the sale to progress as quickly as possible, but as a resident of Southend I don't want to see my Council Tax needlessly wasted though being diverted to the Rat and Co because he out manoeuvred the Council.
If this goes on longer that mid may .You may not have to worry about The council Ron or football at southend .If this sale does not go through by mid may THE creditors that are owed monies wont wait for ever And as rattie has said he wont and cant pay these debts he racked up .

Im not having a dig at season ticket holders Im saying the so call blues fans on the council .Should stop all the talk and do something to help get the club out of the mess its in at the moment . Players we wont to bring in to the club mat well shy away untill new owners are installed And would you blaim them .
Like it or not, the fact is the council have legal and moral obligations beyond the club.

Like it or not, the fact is the council have legal and moral obligations beyond the club.
Then they should stop spouting that they are doing all they can to save southend united football club as the city need a football club .There words not mine We have had plenty of bull over the years from king rat .How he wants the football club to survive .

Then they should stop spouting that they are doing all they can to save southend united football club as the city need a football club .There words not mine We have had plenty of bull over the years from king rat .How he wants the football club to survive .
Maybe they are doing 'all they can'. I don't know if that's the case and neither do you.

They are doing everything that they can do, short of bankrupting the council and getting it put in special measures, and getting themselves thrown in jail for gross misconduct in public office as a result.

They have obligations beyond trying to save the football club, including looking after the city's best interests and the public purse. Unfortunately there comes a point where all of those things can't and won't align perfectly.

Last edited:
They have to comply with the Code of Conduct, requiring them to be objective and impartial in every thing they deal with. Any sympathy for SUFC should not affect their decision. Unfortunately for the Club, things take time which the Club does not have.

They have to comply with the Code of Conduct, requiring them to be objective and impartial in every thing they deal with. Any sympathy for SUFC should not affect their decision. Unfortunately for the Club, things take time which the Club does not have.

When it suits them, let's not forget they rushed through the Seaway project so that original plans to have the stadium as part of a bas Vegas type area wouldn't happen and then only agreed once the flats were involved.

Ask yourself this question if this was big club which was in Southend situation ie a leeds or middlesbrough, would this be dragging on for so long? I doubt it. Fan pressure for 1 would have pushed the deal over the line. I don't think Southend united matters as much to Council the way a leeds or middlesbrough would to there's. This saga will continue to drag on, I don't have much faith in prem fanbase council to resolve the situation soon.

Different way looking at the situation but there is some truth behind it. Even Southend as a place is mainly made of prem fans who look down on Southend united and only remotely interested if Southend united get fa cup tie against prem side or trip to Wembley. With no real outside pressure to get the council speed things up they will continue prod along. I'm not saying its easy deal for council to get done but come on now we are 9 months in from when the takeover was agreed and we are still stuck in limbo.

Last edited:
Ask yourself this question if this was big club which was in Southend situation ie a leeds or middlesbrough, would this be dragging on for so long? I doubt it. Fan pressure for 1 would have pushed the deal over the line. I don't think Southend united matters as much to Council the way a leeds or middlesbrough would to there's. This saga will continue to drag on, I don't have much faith in prem fanbase council to resolve the situation soon.
If it does not get sorted before the local elections Then i fear it will be pushed so far back .That it will spell the death nell of our club .We had a last min repreve the season just finished .I doubt it will get another repreve .I really do hope im wrong .

Different way looking at the situation but there is some truth behind it. Even Southend as a place is mainly made of prem fans who look down on Southend united and only remotely interested if Southend united get fa cup tie against prem side or trip to Wembley. With no real outside pressure to get the council speed things up they will continue prod along. I'm not saying its easy deal for council to get done but come on now we are 9 months in from when the takeover was agreed and we are still stuck in limbo.
Takeover was agreed in December, so it's only 5 months in.

I do get your points. I think a lot of what you say carries some truth, and has played a role in the past. But there is nothing that can be done to speed the council up at this point in time.

You do get the sense all the council work could have started earlier but it never does in reality. We’re now feeling the pinch of that alacrity to start and the processes that need jumping through.

Takeover was agreed in December, so it's only 5 months in.

I do get your points. I think a lot of what you say carries some truth, and has played a role in the past. But there is nothing that can be done to speed the council up at this point in time.
Regardless the lenth of time when the takeover was agreed i think we can both agree the takeover needs to be completed sooner rather than later. The uncertainty for all concerned isn't good for anyone. Let's see what happens in the months ahead.

You do get the sense all the council work could have started earlier but it never does in reality. We’re now feeling the pinch of that alacrity to start and the processes that need jumping through.
I think it was Ron that delayed the DD starting - he needed to agree to and pay for the dd

Is it all down to the Council and Ron... do CBRE have a part to play in this as well?
Yes. Ron Martin owes them £45m and they have charges to that amount on Roots Hall. The Martins will be directed by them as to what they can and can't do to a degree. CBRE/Merseyside Pension Fund want their money back, and the Martins need to be making enough money from the Fossetts Farm development to repay the debt, or at least a fair old chunk of it.

I've gone for never as we're 13 months into the sale 'process' and still not done.

If we're not done by June, it feels like it could be one final 'wallop' after a crash and a bang.

Don't see us starting next season unless we're in new hands.
Personally I fear that another points deduction and embargo is on the horizon, if that happens I reckon the consortium will withdraw.

Yes. Ron Martin owes them £45m and they have charges to that amount on Roots Hall. The Martins will be directed by them as to what they can and can't do to a degree. CBRE/Merseyside Pension Fund want their money back, and the Martins need to be making enough money from the Fossetts Farm development to repay the debt, or at least a fair old chunk of it.
That is one hell of a credit card bill, i wonder if he has to pay interest charges on that lot?

Back