• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News When will the takeover go through? Council / Citizen Housing agree new Heads of Terms 26 June

Just received the following from the Shrimpers Trust…..

banner 2022 v3

Dear Andy Barton

As we prepare for another important week in the history of Southend United Football Club, the Shrimpers Trust would like to provide the following update to members and supporters.
The extensive statements provided by the leader of Southend-on-Sea City Council, Daniel Cowan, over the past fortnight, have set out explicitly where negotiations stand between the Council and the Martin family.
The events of Friday afternoon and evening were a cause of great anxiety for all supporters. Despite an agreement eventually having been reached, the Council and the Martin family are still to negotiate a new Heads of Terms, and we are still to find out how the consortium seeking to acquire the club (COSU), feel about developments.
We are grateful to Cllr Cowan for the time he has granted to this important and complex deal for the whole city, as well as the future of our football club. Representatives of the Shrimpers Trust Board have been in constant contact with him, including numerous online calls, helping to inform and influence where appropriate.
We have also maintained an ongoing dialogue with Justin Rees, the head of the consortium. We believe there is a desire within COSU to be collaborative with supporters and to seek advice and knowledge, even if there may be a natural divergence of opinion at times. We appreciate the commitment they have shown to date, but their continued involvement should not be taken for granted.
We have reached out to the general manager of the National League, Mark Ives, to attempt to understand his view of the ongoing situation, although we are yet to receive a formal response and we are therefore reaching out to the league via alternative avenues. We are doing all we can to steer all invested parties towards a positive outcome for Southend United.
We are aware there was some disappointment expressed that the Shrimpers Trust did not support protests arranged against the Martin family. We took on board advice from both the Council and COSU that protests would negatively affect the Martin family’s desire to negotiate and would provide a distraction. There has been, and will be, times when protest is the right course of action. We don’t feel this was one of those times.
We had a very useful call with the Football Supporters’ Association on Thursday evening, using the benefit of their knowledge and experience to talk through a range of scenarios. Their ongoing support is much-appreciated as we continue to plan for all eventualities, and they have put us in contact with a number of supporters’ organisations who have suffered in similar circumstances in the past.
As difficult as it is, we have to be ready for all possibilities over the next few days. Whilst we hope for the best, it could be the case that COSU walk away, collapsing the deal between the Council and the Martin; the deal could collapse of its own accord if the Martins move the goalposts again; the club could be placed in administration or it could be liquidated following the Winding-Up Petition served by Stewarts Law, which is set to be heard on Wednesday.
We have put a lot of effort into being prepared for whatever happens. Our priority, as it has always been, is to save the current club and its heritage status within the community. If the club is placed into administration, we will work with the appointed administrator and attempt to plot a path out with interested parties as a matter of urgency.
We have also established contact with the relevant authorities should Southend United FC be wound-up on Wednesday and are cognisant of the relevant regulations if we need to establish a phoenix club. This would be a last resort and would involve an intense period of work to ensure participation in the 2024/25 season, but the groundwork has been put in place.
Finally, we have worked on a submission to list Roots Hall Stadium as an Asset of Community Value. We believe the application is ready to submit although, to avoid any complications it could cause to ongoing negotiations, we have held off to this point. We will confirm the submission and provide further details in due course.
We hope this update has provided some context as to the scope of the work undertaken by representatives of the Shrimpers Trust Board during the past few weeks. The situation is rapidly changing and, even in the course of composing this message, representatives have continued to take calls to further understand what is happening.
We will make further comment as the situation continues to evolve over the coming days and weeks. In the mean-time, we value the feedback of our members and you can contact us on info@shrimperstrust.co.uk
Finally, we are acutely aware of the worry and stress the current situation is causing. We hope anyone who is struggling with anxiety knows they are not alone. There are people can help, and further details about some of those organisations are available via the websites listed below:
facebook
instagram

linkedin
follow-twitter-x 200

banner travel logo 2023 qr code - x
footer
Reads to me like they really are fearing the worst. It is good to see that they have everything ready to push the button if it all goes south.

The sad thing tonight and the past week is that there has been a clear split in elements of our fan base. At a time when we should be pulling together as one you have people criticising those that protest, people criticising people that don’t protest. Attacks on The Shrimpers Trust and other members of our fan base. All this caused by one man and one man only. I’m totally broken tonight and the thought that in three days we may have no football club to support. But now is not the time for infighting

Last edited:
The sad thing tonight and the past week is that there has been a clear split in elements of our fan base. At a time when we should be pulling together as one you have people criticising those that protest, people criticising people that don’t protest. Attacks on The Shrimpers Trust and other members of our fan base. All this caused by one man and one man only. I’m totally broken tonight and the thought that in three days we may have no football club to support. But now is not the time for infighting

Sorry, but it’s been going on since the start of this whole sorry affair, it’s not something new over the last week or so.

It’s not a split in the fan base. It is how modern ‘society’ has evolved. Everything is binary, everything needs labels and if an opinion is different then it must be wrong. Humans don’t need AI, many of them already have it.

It’s not a split in the fan base. It is how modern ‘society’ has evolved. Everything is binary, everything needs labels and if an opinion is different then it must be wrong. Humans don’t need AI, many of them already have it.
"Humans don't need AI, many of them already have it." ORM, that is a very telling observation and I would have to agree that the advent of the modern social media era, which is beneficial in so many ways, has made some people, and I think it is a distinct minority, to be intolerant of anything other than their own views.

Run by the trust 🤣🤣🤣🤣 they couldn’t run a bath the wet wipes
You don't have to support the Trust, that's your choice, but to speak so disparagingly about people that work tirelessly for the good of our club, voluntarily, is bang out of order.

Be constructive in your criticism, fine. Do something more effective yourself, even better.

This Phoenix Club business makes me physically sick.

I've never ever been keen on this, and I appreciate i'm in the minority, but that would be football done for me if all that was left was a trust run Phoenix Club.
I am with you on this one, cannot get behind a Phoenix club, if our club dies this week so will my love of football.

Back