• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

pfft.

In the UK Highway Code, a built-up area is a settled area in which the speed limit of a road is automatically 30 mph (48 km/h). These roads are known as 'restricted roads' and are identified by the presence of street lights.

pfft.

In the UK Highway Code, a built-up area is a settled area in which the speed limit of a road is automatically 30 mph (48 km/h). These roads are known as 'restricted roads' and are identified by the presence of street lights.

Well look who knows something that a few of us probably didn't know.....or just Googled it....:whistling:

Besides some councils have started turning them off!

pfft.

They are so good, Randy Crawford sung a song about them.

I play the street light
Because there's no place I can go
Street light
It's the only life I know
Street light
And there's a thousand cards to play
Street light
Until you play your life away

You never people see
Just who you wanna be
And every night you shine
Just like a superstar
The type of life that's played
A temptin' masquerade

Sounds like you shouldn't have pulled out in the first place!

It's a side turning onto a busier road, it is near a bend and the bend masks things coming round till the last moment. The van was speeding, I was committed to the manoeuvre. I accept I was going faster than the limit, however, had it been a normal speed trap and I'd been pulled over I could have tried to explain, he must have seen the van as well and probably copped him too!

Oh, and I knew about the street lights! Used it as a question once on a car treasure hunt!

Yep. Only asking because it's unusual to have a speed camera by a bend and junction.

It was a hand held jobbie, if you know the area, I was pulling out from Albion Road, turning right onto Kents Hill. Mr Meanie was on the corner of Villa Road, which is a bit further on:

KH Rd.png

Do they teach you how to steer with your knee while you put your seatbelt on?

In my opinion this should be part if the driving test.

Nope, none of the essential skills were even touched upon, but then again I had taught myself to steer a 1979 Austin Allegro round the Kursaal roundabout using my knees so I could beckon over one of the lovelies perched on slags wall.

It's a side turning onto a busier road, it is near a bend and the bend masks things coming round till the last moment. The van was speeding, I was committed to the manoeuvre. I accept I was going faster than the limit, however, had it been a normal speed trap and I'd been pulled over I could have tried to explain, he must have seen the van as well and probably copped him too!

Oh, and I knew about the street lights! Used it as a question once on a car treasure hunt!

I know where you mean. Fair enough

A couple of transport related ones.

i) Adults on scooters. ****ing grow up.

ii) Most cyclists play to the rules. Helmets, paying attention to the road, stopping at red lights and so on. This morning, some **** was cycling along, earphones in, no helmet, tapping away at his phone. Then went through a red light.

ii) Most cyclists play to the rules. Helmets, paying attention to the road, stopping at red lights and so on. This morning, some **** was cycling along, earphones in, no helmet, tapping away at his phone. Then went through a red light.

Cyclists doing red lights is one of my biggest peeves. On my walk to the station each morning I have to cross New Cross Road, which runs straight off the Old Kent Road so it's not exactly a quiet junction. At least twice a week without fail a cyclist will jump the red lights at the crossing so as not to slow down on their commute to work, haring through a really busy crossing.

A couple of weeks back one of them hit someone crossing the road. I missed the incident, but it didn't look pretty as well and while the cyclist was having a few cuts treated, the pedestrian didn't look in a good way at all.

A couple of transport related ones.

They were talking about this on a tv programme I saw the other day, surely it's the same as "driving with undue care and attention"? If you have ear-phones in you are pretty much oblivious to anything going on around you - as Kev found the other day when he was passing a guy on a bike quite slowly and the guy just suddenly turned straight into the side of him and was knocked off. Admitted it was totally his fault, he hadn't looked, didn't signal and couldn't hear traffic noise! Prat!

Back