• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

W block

I have a season in u block and must admit to being of senior years and I think the w block are absolutely amazing. Maybe today it was a bit quiet at times but the backing they give the team is top notch. Maybe other parts of the ground could look at themselves first

Like yourself, I am a gentleman of senior years, who stands in block W.
It’s a shame but when the block gets going vocally I look around and see a lot of people clapping along to what is being sung.
If just a few of the clappers would sing instead of clapping then the vocals from the west would vastly improve.
But it is not for everyone, I understand that.

Also the barrel roofs of the west do not help either as they manage to throw all the noise of the west stand round and back down to the floor.
If the west had one of those new rear slopping roofs then the vocals into the pitch would be greatly improved.

Sorry guys but considering this is supposed to be the "singing section" where standing appears to be tolerated, I thought your support for the team today was embarrassing. Even the drummer appeared to give up! Out sung by the scum from Dagenham - only appeared to get behind the team after we scored.

I and many other old fans spent many years in the North bank singing my lungs out no matter how shi$e we were playing.

Come on lads get behind the team. Your support is especially needed when things are not going our way!!
Ok, I'll bite...

I'll probably surprise you when I say that, partly, I agree with what you said about our fans being quiet. Kick off, through to our opener, and all the way up to the equaliser for the penalty, I thought our fans were decently loud... albeit a LOT of our fans were, for some reason, aiming a LOT more chants at the away support today (which I absolutely hate personally, as it's Southend you've come to watch, not our opposition or their fans).

The equaliser went in on the half hour mark, and despite literally everyone's best efforts around me, trying to restore the same levels of noise was a bit like trying to get blood from a stone, or, more aptly, a fiver from a certain former owner... naming no names. No-one seemed to care, despite the best efforts from myself and literally everyone around the drum today. Every time I thought we had finally got something going again, it was going for about 20-30 seconds before either everyone else gave up, or our fans chose that precise moment to aim, yet another "dead end" chant at the away support, for no apparent reason.

I definitely did NOT "give up", and never intend to "give up" on supporting the team, even when they aren't at their best - look back to our away trip against Chesterfield last season, and both away trips to Stockport and Wrexham twice in seasons before that... we lost, yet our support was incredibly loud on all of those occasions.

It doesn't help that we're in one of the worst stands for atmosphere (North Bank needs to happen ASAP imo)... and it certainly doesn't help that we were down a drum skin in the last 15m of the 2nd half (must've cracked it today when I "gave up" :Winking:), but there is a very good "core" of supporters around myself, and a decent chunk of supporters at the top of the block too who put a LOT of effort into trying their best to get the atmosphere going at Roots Hall - for example, we've been trying to get the "Starman" chant for GSM going since Fylde away LAST SEASON, and it's only JUST taken off, through sheer brute force from that core group of fans I talk about!

Absolutely agree that fans have been a lot quieter than usual, but it would be grossly unfair to throw blame at the regulars in that block for actually trying to make a difference to that on a weekly basis (including today)... though, considering that I did look up on multiple occasions during the game today, and see the East Stand opposite to W block clapping along with chants from W block, we MUST be doing something right... 🤷‍♂️

Ok, I'll bite...

I'll probably surprise you when I say that, partly, I agree with what you said about our fans being quiet. Kick off, through to our opener, and all the way up to the equaliser for the penalty, I thought our fans were decently loud... albeit a LOT of our fans were, for some reason, aiming a LOT more chants at the away support today (which I absolutely hate personally, as it's Southend you've come to watch, not our opposition or their fans).

The equaliser went in on the half hour mark, and despite literally everyone's best efforts around me, trying to restore the same levels of noise was a bit like trying to get blood from a stone, or, more aptly, a fiver from a certain former owner... naming no names. No-one seemed to care, despite the best efforts from myself and literally everyone around the drum today. Every time I thought we had finally got something going again, it was going for about 20-30 seconds before either everyone else gave up, or our fans chose that precise moment to aim, yet another "dead end" chant at the away support, for no apparent reason.

I definitely did NOT "give up", and never intend to "give up" on supporting the team, even when they aren't at their best - look back to our away trip against Chesterfield last season, and both away trips to Stockport and Wrexham twice in seasons before that... we lost, yet our support was incredibly loud on all of those occasions.

It doesn't help that we're in one of the worst stands for atmosphere (North Bank needs to happen ASAP imo)... and it certainly doesn't help that we were down a drum skin in the last 15m of the 2nd half (must've cracked it today when I "gave up" :Winking:), but there is a very good "core" of supporters around myself, and a decent chunk of supporters at the top of the block too who put a LOT of effort into trying their best to get the atmosphere going at Roots Hall - for example, we've been trying to get the "Starman" chant for GSM going since Fylde away LAST SEASON, and it's only JUST taken off, through sheer brute force from that core group of fans I talk about!

Absolutely agree that fans have been a lot quieter than usual, but it would be grossly unfair to throw blame at the regulars in that block for actually trying to make a difference to that on a weekly basis (including today)... though, considering that I did look up on multiple occasions during the game today, and see the East Stand opposite to W block clapping along with chants from W block, we MUST be doing something right... 🤷‍♂️
As you are the drummer I presume.
You play an important part in not only drumming to the chants, but also drumming to the tempo of the game.
By that I mean, whenever have you wanted to dance very fast to a slow song.
A drummer dictates the tempo of the music, thus the speed you dance to the song.
Psycholodicaly, have you thought about playing a slow drum beat when their team is attacking and a faster beat when we are attacking,
Your drum is the heart beat.

What size diameter is your drum, 18, 20, 22 inch, as I might have a few old drum heads lying around, or failing that get a new 2 ply drum head, they will take a whole lot more abuse than a single ply head.

Ruined my prawn sandwiches last time I tried to join in the clapping

I do think it’s a lot to do with Ron Martin departing. Fans used to turn up to games with a lot of emotions - anger, worry, pride in the team (for those performances against all odds). We were almost like a band of brothers ‘us against Ron Martin’. People would talk about what the latest protests might be on the concourse. All of that added together meant lots of noise, singing etc - the emotions being released.

It is also being ticketed more strictly this season. In previous seasons people just used to pile into that block, which meant that sometimes you’d be 3 people deep and could barely see the game….but maybe that improved the noise from the block?

That being said, I was in the W block yesterday and felt it wasn’t half as quiet as being made out. There was still a decent amount of chants. I’m sure it will get back to levels of the past, but I think they are a couple of reasons why it’s dialed down a bit currently.

Ok, I'll bite...

Absolutely this. Cracking post Dan. There was nothing new about yesterday's noise, it happens when we don't play particularly well at times, loud and then not so loud. The 'Voice' lead the way and the rest of us follow on, mostly clapping and shouting, but further down the West singing just doesn't happen. Nothing new there, it's always been that way.

I'm totally amazed that this is a hot topic, it's not. Well done Blue voice, keep doing what you do and accept the grateful thanks of us more mature Westies that are too polite to sing at the top of our voices and often, just can't hear the words properly.

As you are the drummer I presume.
You play an important part in not only drumming to the chants, but also drumming to the tempo of the game.
By that I mean, whenever have you wanted to dance very fast to a slow song.
A drummer dictates the tempo of the music, thus the speed you dance to the song.
Psycholodicaly, have you thought about playing a slow drum beat when their team is attacking and a faster beat when we are attacking,
Your drum is the heart beat.

What size diameter is your drum, 18, 20, 22 inch, as I might have a few old drum heads lying around, or failing that get a new 2 ply drum head, they will take a whole lot more abuse than a single ply head.
Neil Peart has entered the chat……

Part of the problem here is that just having W block as the singing section and an acceptable part of the ground to stand simply isn’t enough. I don’t have a ST so I can’t get 2 together when tickets are released. Me and a friend get the closest we can which is V block. For the Yorke game we was 3 rows from the back and I wanted to stand and sing (I don’t know why but singing when sitting down makes me feel like I’m going rupture a spleen!)
But as soon as KO happened the guy behind me asked me to sit down.
Now, as frustrating as this is, I don’t have a choice as V block is not seen as relaxed as W block. I’m not interested in confrontation and I respect other people’s necessities for staying seated.
So basically we need the NB asap so whoever wants to get behind the team and try to suck the ball into the back of them net, can. Those who don’t can remain where they are.
On another note, it was nice to see a large (ish) away following yesterday. It makes a difference.

I did think there were some lulls yesterday as I could hear that lot in the North Bank far more than I wanted to - especially when they started up the Southend get battered chant! - but on the whole, I thought it was a good atmosphere and there were some chants that seemed to go all the way round the ground.

The sound just doesn't travel well out of W block to the rest of the ground. If you are in W block however, it's pretty damn loud. The double barrelled roof is the killer. Whereas the North Bank has just the one barrell roof, so less gets lost within the stand itself and projects better around the ground.

Hence why 300 in the North Bank will always sound louder than the 300 in W Block. It's not because they aren't trying. I do agree though that games like yesterday, the younger element focus far too much on the away section, than the team. We have all done it though, lets be honest. We were all kids once.

This only gets solved by moving the away fans into Blocks Y & Z (Possibly X for larger turnouts) and opening up the entire North Bank to home fans. Away fans enter via Fairfax Drive as normal, with their own turnstiles at the west end of the North Bank and home fans via the East car park, using the current away turnstiles. As long as catering/toilet facilities are sorted and anything structual, then it's very achievable and I do believe this is the plan, certainly by next season.

Hopefully then the "singers" will back the move and fill the North Bank as much as possible. If we can get at least 500-750 in there behind the goal, that should be a real catalyst in getting the rest of the ground going. For too many years we have given the away side the vocal advantage at our home. No more. Watch the results improve as well...

Back