• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the anti Dackers stuff. To be honest if he's good enough for Kev & co he's good enough for me, he seems a nice lad and clearly fits in and is liked as a squad member. Only a few years ago we had some very talented players, but divisions in the squad and disagreements at B&L, players not even wanting to train/play. Dackers has improved and will continue to improve, should he stay - I believe that.
Maybe you should watch him play

We have a list of targets based on all eventualities.

If we go up, stay down, lose players, keep everyone, budget is cut, budget is increased, we can only sign frees, only bring in loans, have a transfer budget to spend on transfer fees and so on.
any info about that young lad Finley who we was meant to be interested previously or have we moved on now ?

I have heard that Dackers wants to stay at Southend and the management are interested - hence more game time toward the end of the season but that is mainly "pub talk".

As I’ve said loads of times before, I won’t confirm or deny anything on names.

However, what I will say is Dackers never wanted to leave the Club first time around, and the management didn’t want to lose him.

Both parties were very happy to be reunited this season.

I certainly find it really difficult when I hear all the negativity towards Dackers. At Ebbsfleet away, two blokes spent 90 mins abusing him. What has he done wrong? He came here in awful circumstances and still wanted to stick around. He clearly loves the club, we haven't had many players like that for a long time.

People are acting like he's Kargbo! Yes, he isn't going to be top goal scorer of the league, but that doesn't mean he's terrible. He can be, and has been, a very useful squad player. What are people really expecting?

This entitlement/expectation to 'win the league' is totally unfounded. An array of clubs have been down here for years and have had a much better footing than us. We have no idea what the budget is, so let's not expect the best players just yet. We finished 9th. So to jump up to the summit with an apparent budget cut, isn't going to be a full gone conclusion. It's going to be tough.

Whatever we feel about Dackers, it's Kev and Co that matters. They are rightly lauded by us and the football community in general, and they want him around. He must be doing something right. Let's get behind it if it happens and not use him as an instant scapegoat.

Last edited:
I certainly find it really difficult when I hear all the negativity towards Dackers. At Ebbsfleet away, two blokes spent 90 mins abusing him. What has he done wrong? He came here in awful circumstances and still wanted to stick around. He clearly lives the club, we haven't had many players like that for a long time.

People are acting like he's Kargbo! Yes, he isn't going to be top goal scorer of the league, but that doesn't mean he's terrible. He can be, and has been, a very useful squad player. What are people really expecting?

This entitlement/expectation to 'win the league' is totally unfounded. An array of clubs have been down here for years and have had a much better footing than us. We have no idea what the budget is, so let's not expect the best players just yet. We finished 9th. So to jump up to the summit with an apparent budget cut, isn't going to be a full gone conclusion. It's going to be tough.

Whatever we feel about Dackers, it's Kev and Co that matters. They are rightly lauded by us and the football community in general, and they want him around. He must be doing something right. Let's get behind it if it happens and not use him as an instant scapegoat.
He’s not an instant scapegoat. Everyone who saw him at Chesterfield were wondering how on earth he is a professional footballer. He’s improved a little- on occasions- but if we’re serious about promotion he’s absolutely not good enough.

He’s not an instant scapegoat. Everyone who saw him at Chesterfield were wondering how on earth he is a professional footballer. He’s improved a little- on occasions- but if we’re serious about promotion he’s absolutely not good enough.
So one game against the runaway league leaders made you decide he shouldn't be a pro footballer? I'm assuming you're ignoring the good performances he had, one of which he has just won assist of the season for.

You say he's not good enough, good enough for what? Starting, yes maybe. As a 3rd or 4th choice striker? He absolutely is good enough. If you don't think that, you most have some inside knowledge of how much money we have to spend. Because if you think we can get a potential 3rd and 4th striker that are better than Dackers, we must have a lot of readies available. Hope you're right.

I say again, Kev and Co see him every day and they still want him around. They've worked wonders and I trust their judgement.

If we’re realistic about finances, what calibre of player are you expecting us to sign as a backup striker who is going to spend most of the season on the bench?

I don’t understand the notion that wanting to sign a young backup striker, with decent potential for the future, means we aren’t serious about promotion.

I think its obvious we want to follow the Brentford model as much as possible, which was to do exactly that, develop young players and sell on for a big profit. Its sad when you lose someone talanted from a solid team but its the only realistic way forward to grow the club long-term & sustainably unless you have an Oligarch owner. So yes it is entirely possible we could lose one or two over the summer but if they bring in £200k / £300k from it that can be re-invested in the squad then so be it, we go fishing again at this level or below to find the next ones.
The couple we went out with on Sat.night thought we¡d lose Cards (if a bid came in from a L2/1 club),Not sure he'd fetch 200/300 K based on what Isaw though.

Last edited:
If we’re realistic about finances, what calibre of player are you expecting us to sign as a backup striker who is going to spend most of the season on the bench?

I don’t understand the notion that wanting to sign a young backup striker, with decent potential for the future, means we aren’t serious about promotion.
Finances wise surely the plan is to find another freddy on the cheap and flog him for millions....

Same sort of talk about Dackers was said about Emile Acquah ,and look how hes doing now, perhaps an off season in the gym will help him toughen up also probably needs to build his endurance up. As a 4th option i think its good but i still hope Kev and co bring in another strike or 2 ,and definitely an attacking midfielder / playmaker, still think as the budget is not as big this season both Martin and Demi can do the job as trainers/ players and fill in if and when needed another left sided defender , so if bridge gets injured or needs a rest Ralph can always be moved to fill in there without much disruption to the squad. I dont believe Kev and co wil put much into the loyalty factor when it comes to who stays and who goes , next season is one where given the Rat has gone and JR and co are in charge they will truly be judged ,and playoffs will be the minimum requirements, anything less will be deemed failure . Myself i would be looking for a top 4 finish and a home tie in the playoffs. and making RH a fortress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back