• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club brought this on themselves and I'm afraid deserve whatever the consequences might be.

If you put idiot next to idiot with minimal (or no) policing then what do you expect? Idiot x idiot = bigger idiots. Its just simple mathematics.

This does not excuse the idiotic behaviour, but its a fact of life that some folk are morons so that should be expected and handled appropriately.

I also don't hold much sympathy with those complaining they were caught in the cross fire. If you switch on a light on a summers night it will attract flies - if you know where the more voicifourous elements will be (as anyone going to the game surely would know or if not might be expected to easily find out) and don't want to be part of that then don't go or sit elsewhere as it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what might happen.

Fair enough but with an almost sold out game seats were at a premium. Some may want the more 'Vibrant' atmosphere that comes from sitting in certain sections but they shouldn't expect what we saw Saturday.

I'm disappointed that many have condoned the violence and some of the more controversial (IMO) comments have got a lot of 'likes'. Yes you can argue that the Col U scumbags instigated the violence but again, why oh why do people feel the need to react physically? Just flick them a few V's and ****** gestures and make them look the fools.

I'd still like to feel that the vast majority of the 9000 odd shrimpers who attended agree with me, I certainly didn't see any threatening or aggressive behaviour in the South Upper for example, just people who turned up to support their team and watch a game of football.

I also don't think it helps that there is an element on here who like to post glorifying the 'good old days' of football hooliganism from the 70's and 80's. Anyone who thinks that physically assaulting another human being over a game is justified is a low life common thug in my view.

I was always taught from a young age that 'two wrongs don't make a right', best advice I've ever been given to be fair, it's a shame so many others feel reacting to being provoked is an appropriate response. :sad:

This will be my last comment on this thread, I think I've made my viewpoint crystal clear.

Now here's a thing. The Colchester police are asking people to report offences they believe occurred yesterday at Roots Hall. Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on in terms of blame, if you think that someone or group of people deserve sorting then this is your opportunity. Just saying that there were a group of Colchester fans attacking our stewards for example, will not cut it. You need to be able to provide proof, photos etc. You may even know people that were involved. That will involve naming names though. I recognise that 'grassing' is not what football supporters do but if you feel really strongly over something you saw or were impacted by, then this your opportunity to help it from happening again. By the way, this approach is going out to the Col U fans, and some may be considering providing evidence against Southend fans.

I'm disappointed that many have condoned the violence and some of the more controversial (IMO) comments have got a lot of 'likes'. Yes you can argue that the Col U scumbags instigated the violence but again, why oh why do people feel the need to react physically? Just flick them a few V's and ****** gestures and make them look the fools.

I'd still like to feel that the vast majority of the 9000 odd shrimpers who attended agree with me, I certainly didn't see any threatening or aggressive behaviour in the South Upper for example, just people who turned up to support their team and watch a game of football.

I also don't think it helps that there is an element on here who like to post glorifying the 'good old days' of football hooliganism from the 70's and 80's. Anyone who thinks that physically assaulting another human being over a game is justified is a low life common thug in my view.

I was always taught from a young age that 'two wrongs don't make a right', best advice I've ever been given to be fair, it's a shame so many others feel reacting to being provoked is an appropriate response. :sad:

This will be my last comment on this thread, I think I've made my viewpoint crystal clear.

Well it may be your last comment on this thread, but it is one that I 100% agree with - thank you for summing up my feelings so nicely.

Let the old bill get on with it it's what they are paid for!!!
I'm sorry I know loads that went on the pitch including the guy who got a few digs in on there fans but I will never ever give names or grass we are all Southend

Brilliant, you've just proven what an an 'ffing joke you are, mate!!

I know this will not make a slight bit of difference but the guy who got on the pitch and punched the colu fans is actualy
a West Ham fan ,my mate spoke to him after or before I don't know ,but he said you will get banned the replied back I don't care I don't support Southend I'm West Ham

I know this will not make a slight bit of difference but the guy who got on the pitch and punched the colu fans is actualy
a West Ham fan ,my mate spoke to him after or before I don't know ,but he said you will get banned the replied back I don't care I don't support Southend I'm West Ham

Well let's hope he gets banned from watching West Ham games too!

Oh the irony! One minute a cult hero for a few on here, the next just a .....

Just a shame that the Colchester 'scroats' who persisted in throwing coins at our fans in the West, didn't save them to contribute to one of 'their own' who walked the touchline collecting donations, after his brave feat of walking/jogging to here from Colchester?.
Still, they probably hadn't a clue who he was or what was going on?.
And as someone posted last night, obviously away fans don't have numbers/ seat rows on their tickets, as they can sit anywhere?. You never see all the 'brave' away fans sitting at the Car park end, giving it 'large' to the East Stand?.
Guess it's too good to be true, that if the guy who gave them some 'just desserts' was a West Ham fan, the Press will mention that?. Don't hold your breath!.

Several on here have said he was/is a regular?

As West Ham were away at Southampton, maybe he got the club names mixed up. They are a bit similar, sort of.

Haha!! Didn't the press turn up at the wrong one, assuming it was Southampton but should have been Southend? Not so long ago either, if I remember correctly!

Haha!! Didn't the press turn up at the wrong one, assuming it was Southampton but should have been Southend? Not so long ago either, if I remember correctly!

I thought it was Sky TV, but they're not that stupid surely?

The Southend police 'football unit ' has been disbanded due to police costing cuts apparently.........in addition , Southend United are very slow to pay police bills .........these 2 pieces of info that I was given by a good source are , in my opinion, what contributed greatly to the problems in the crowd .........that said , what a great result against the col u .....

Fans should be able to control themselves... It's called restraint, common sense and self discipline... Stewards can't do this
Never in a million years is every single fan at a derby game (or any other game for that matter) going to be able to control themselves, that's common sense. Therefore stewards have to be able to control them otherwise you end up with someone running accross the pitch, throwing punches at other fans and getting the club in trouble.

Most of the stewards were overwhelmed, when the guy ran over most of them were struggling to hold back Col U fans.

When he attacked them a female steward tried to grab him and got a wack herself for her troubles.

Stewards arent security guards, some of them are female and some of them are old fellas, they arent all capable of taking down an idiot throwing punches as the female steward found out.

Are we saying we should now have to recruit security type stewards to keep our own supporters in line? Its a very sad day if so.
I'm not blaming the stewards who were pre-occupied with the Col U fans or those unable to stop him. But there were male stewards who could have easily stopped him, I'm not blaming them either as there should have been a police presence to support them but there wasn't so that means it was the stewards job to stop him (which was my point). I don't see how this can be argued against whether the stewards are to blame for the incident or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back