• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilson!

I get frustrated when fans expect him to give a full match analysis, slag off players in public and potentially destroy their confidence, highlight our weaknesses for opponents and wash the club's dirty linen in public.

I'm not sure fans are calling for Tilly to do those things, but I also think that most fans are not stupid. I am all for the manager backing his players publicly, but there needs to be a balance when analysing the game. To say the main reason for our loss was down to luck is a little far fetched, and you can't blame the howls of derision from fans when they know what they witnessed, but their manager is telling them something completely different.

I don't expect him to do a full debriefing of the game - that's for Monday on the training pitch, but I would want him to describe what happened a little more accurately than he did on Saturday.

I'm not sure fans are calling for Tilly to do those things, but I also think that most fans are not stupid. I am all for the manager backing his players publicly, but there needs to be a balance when analysing the game. To say the main reason for our loss was down to luck is a little far fetched, and you can't blame the howls of derision from fans when they know what they witnessed, but their manager is telling them something completely different.

I don't expect him to do a full debriefing of the game - that's for Monday on the training pitch, but I would want him to describe what happened a little more accurately than he did on Saturday.

Why? What does he gain by saying we were awful? The players confidence is low, he needs to be blaming it on bad luck so he can tell the players that they are good and next week the ball will bounce in favour, the keeper won't have a blinder and we'll win.

Why? What does he gain by saying we were awful? The players confidence is low, he needs to be blaming it on bad luck so he can tell the players that they are good and next week the ball will bounce in favour, the keeper won't have a blinder and we'll win.

Dear me, agreeing with Napster earlier and now with you! That's a very typical me type post and very surprising hearing it from you, but it is right. Weren't we in a similar boat this time last year as well? Those fragile egos need a bit of massaging and bolstering and tearing them to pieces won't help in the slightest. Luck has been against us, we need to start making our own luck happen, and hopefully with the impetus of Barney and Dougie's returns we might start seeing something a bit more pleasurable to watch on the playing field.

Are we not already relishing the prospect of seeing Macca take on Luke Gutteridge on Boxing Day, and Peter Clarke and Adam Barrett teaching Leon Constantine a few lessons - while hopefully keeping Akinfenwa in check!

Why? Because otherwise he makes himself look pretty stupid, and starts to lose credability amongst fans. If a manager starts to say things about a game which are blatantly not true, it will be very easy to lose the respect of the fans, especially when those comments are relating to a poor performance.

Whilst I appreciate the confidence of the players is paramount, it should not be underestimated how important the views of the supporters are. You cannot patronise people to the extent of telling them that black is white or night is actually day, and that is the risk you run when you give post match interviews like he did - it makes it sound like he is blaming everything else and not taking responsibility.

The players are not stupid - They know how well or how badly they play, and I am not asking him to come out and berate individuals, or for that matter, the whole team, I am asking for a more realistic comment the manager.

Why? Because otherwise he makes himself look pretty stupid, and starts to lose credability amongst fans. If a manager starts to say things about a game which are blatantly not true, it will be very easy to lose the respect of the fans, especially when those comments are relating to a poor performance.

Whilst I appreciate the confidence of the players is paramount, it should not be underestimated how important the views of the supporters are. You cannot patronise people to the extent of telling them that black is white or night is actually day, and that is the risk you run when you give post match interviews like he did - it makes it sound like he is blaming everything else and not taking responsibility.

The players are not stupid - They know how well or how badly they play, and I am not asking him to come out and berate individuals, or for that matter, the whole team, I am asking for a more realistic comment the manager.

Spot on...excellent post.
At work, none of us would be able to get away with persistent poor performance, having been told where we need to improve (except perhaps if working as a civil servant :-)...why should a professional footballer be any different...even more so when they are doing something they love and enjoy?

If you saw the game why do you need Tilson to tell you it was **** poor?

i think your missing my point here, i'm saying that theres only so much LUCK you can rely on. as i've said i didn't think luck come into it and felt the better side won on the day but its becomes increasingly annoying to hear 'rub of the greem' 'didnt get the luck'.

for me somthing along the lines of, we worked hard, it didn't come off. we know where we went wrong. will be working on this during the week blah blah blah.

that would boost for people than chatting rubbish about bloody LUCK!!

RANT OVER

Give them 6 months T & B could turn Ronaldo, Rooney & Co into Muppets.

the only reason we reached the Championship was Freddie

T & B should go in January and be repalced by Holloway & Williams to get Macca playing at his best again if we are serious about being a championship club.

We also need Maher back so we will have 3 good centre midfielders again in January

All T & B have done recently is get decent players in ruin them, and then let them go where someone who can coach properly gets them playing again

Last edited:
The players are not stupid

I beg to differ.

I'm with YB. The difference between top managers and mediocre ones is those who slag their staff off in public and those who do so behind closed doors. I'm sure in private Tilly is furious. In public I couldn't care less what he says...

T & B should go in January and be repalced by Holloway & Williams if we are serious about being a championship club.

We need Maher back and someone to get Macca playing at his best again so we will have 3 good centre midfielders again in January

All T & B have done recently is get decent players in ruin them, and then t=let them go where someone y=who can coach properly gets them playing again

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Post of the day.

At work, none of us would be able to get away with persistent poor performance, having been told where we need to improve (except perhaps if working as a civil servant :-)...why should a professional footballer be any different...even more so when they are doing something they love and enjoy?

I would bet that at work, there is not an Internet forum where several hundred people slag you off anonymously, thinking they can do a better job than your manager, or on a given day, many more people who pretend to be fans of your company turn up and shout obscenities at you thinking it is support.

T & B should go in January and be repalced by Holloway & Williams if we are serious about being a championship club.

We need Maher back and someone to get Macca playing at his best again so we will have 3 good centre midfielders again in January

All T & B have done recently is get decent players in ruin them, and then t=let them go where someone y=who can coach properly gets them playing again

Thats possibly one of the most far from the truth post's ive read on here, how can one player carry a team through winning the play-offs in one league and then the title in the other. Its impossible, the perfect example of one great player does not make a team is Man City..sign robinho..and still only be one place above the relegation zone!

Thats it, shake up the whole managment team in January, unsettle everything and everyone around the club, that should make everything better!

Maher has really set the league alight for Oldham this season hasn't he? By the best player in their squad, i suppose that is shown by him only starting 7 games this season? Yes lets get him back in so he can carry us up the table...2 seasons ago he was a diffrent player to what he is now. Its time to stop living in the past!

T&B made JFC a muppet didnt they? Yea i agree he looked really poor for us, never did nothing poor poor player was good before he came:liar:
Same could be said for Sawyer, Harding, Freedman, Barnard, Laurent and Revell...all who came to club without anyone knowing too much about them, and have impressed us all at times. So how Tilly and Brush turned all these into muppets is beyond me!

Thats possibly one of the most far from the truth post's ive read on here, how can one player carry a team through winning the play-offs in one league and then the title in the other. Its impossible, the perfect example of one great player does not make a team is Man City..sign robinho..and still only be one place above the relegation zone!

T&B made JFC a muppet didnt they? Yea i agree he looked really poor for us, never did nothing poor poor player was good before he came:liar:
Same could be said for Sawyer, Harding, Freedman, Barnard, Laurent and Revell...all who came to club without anyone knowing too much about them, and have impressed us all at times. So how Tilly and Brush turned all these into muppets is beyond me!

Sawyer - Wont be signing - we wont spend money
Harding - Wont be signing - we wont spend money
Freedman - Physio cant get and keep him fit
Barnard - Physio cant get and keep him fit
Laurent - wont play now the above 2 are fit
Revell - love his workrate but goals per game ratio ??? And surely if he was going to set the world on fire it would have been cheaper to buy him from Braintree.

Sawyer - Wont be signing - we wont spend money
Harding - Wont be signing - we wont spend money
Freedman - Physio cant get and keep him fit
Barnard - Physio cant get and keep him fit
Laurent - wont play now the above 2 are fit
Revell - love his workrate but goals per game ratio ??? And surely if he was going to set the world on fire it would have been cheaper to buy him from Braintree.

READ UP! I was making a point that T&B have not made these players into mugs as the person above said...i wasn't debating weather or not we will be signing these players.

Although i do find it interesting that you think the physion cannot get and keep Freedman fit...his had a little spout of injuries after his first half of a season here, hardly as bad as Barnard.

I would bet that at work, there is not an Internet forum where several hundred people slag you off anonymously, thinking they can do a better job than your manager, or on a given day, many more people who pretend to be fans of your company turn up and shout obscenities at you thinking it is support.

Instead this just happens on Facebook!
Seriously though Naps, I take on board your point, and there is some merit in such observations, but these are professional sportsmen, who live and die by their levels of performance...let us face it, even at this level, the recompense they receive for their 'work' is more than generous, and besides, I would suggest that 99% of the players do not take any notice of idle chit-chat on fan's forums.

Dear me, agreeing with Napster earlier and now with you! That's a very typical me type post and very surprising hearing it from you, but it is right. Weren't we in a similar boat this time last year as well? Those fragile egos need a bit of massaging and bolstering and tearing them to pieces won't help in the slightest. Luck has been against us, we need to start making our own luck happen, and hopefully with the impetus of Barney and Dougie's returns we might start seeing something a bit more pleasurable to watch on the playing field.

Are we not already relishing the prospect of seeing Macca take on Luke Gutteridge on Boxing Day, and Peter Clarke and Adam Barrett teaching Leon Constantine a few lessons - while hopefully keeping Akinfenwa in check!

Oh God, Akinfenwa will kill us. Clarke and Barrett really struggle when up against bigger players than them, as it nullifies their physical game. It will be free-kicks galore against them.

I think the fans are more likely to lose credibility in that scenario.

Oh, come on. Who gets publicly blamed by their boss? Stuff like that is always dealt with behind closed doors, and for good reason.

I nearly mentioned how glad I was we had a players' manager rather than a media manager like Holloway or Allen who sound good in the press, but don't produce the goods on the pitch.

Instead this just happens on Facebook!
Seriously though Naps, I take on board your point, and there is some merit in such observations, but these are professional sportsmen, who live and die by their levels of performance...let us face it, even at this level, the recompense they receive for their 'work' is more than generous, and besides, I would suggest that 99% of the players do not take any notice of idle chit-chat on fan's forums.

Given that Macca was upset, poor love, over something someone said, I think most players do.

Even the best-paid professionals don't get slagged off in the media. And certainly not every week.

Given that Macca was upset, poor love, over something someone said, I think most players do.

Even the best-paid professionals don't get slagged off in the media. And certainly not every week.

I don't think that is the first time Macca has been upset by on-line comments either.

I would distinguish between criticism from the media and criticism from your own side. It's easy enough to brush off criticism from those who don't know you, but I could imagine it being harder to deal with criticism from those who you know.

I don't think that is the first time Macca has been upset by on-line comments either.

I would distinguish between criticism from the media and criticism from your own side. It's easy enough to brush off criticism from those who don't know you, but I could imagine it being harder to deal with criticism from those who you know.

What I would say in response, is that I think it is prudent to differentiate between work as the common person knows it, and professional sports.
Let us not forget, most common football fans get paid to slog away for a minimum of 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 47 weeks of the year, and fight to barely keep their heads above water.
Professional footballers are in a massively priveldged position. They train around 4 hours a day, get to play their chosen sport in front of generous crowds, and, even at this level, are getting paid handsomly for the priveledge. I would suggest that they need to be prepared to take stick from people who add to their already inflated wages each week when their performances are, frankly, ****, like they have been for the majority of the season.

For the same reasons, I do not think the management can be immune from the likelihood of public dissent.

Back