• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilson must go

the 3 year honeymoon period is over, reality sets in - there has to come a time for sentiment to be questioned, and while Tilly has been a great player for us, his management decisions and lack of ability to attract proven players to the club are providing enough evidence that a new face is needed to stop the rot

Tilson and Brush have taken the club as far as they have, and while 2 promotions in succession points to an element of success, this was with the undoubted help of a proven striker who the club have now sold - only for the proceeds not to be re-invested

i have been watching and supporting the Blues for over 25 years and right now we all have to be honest and ask whether Tilly and Brush are the right men to take us forward . . . Tilsons insistance on playing Flahavan over Collis, as well as continuing to play Harrold (who for me is on a par with Neil Campbell) suggests that he is seriously losing touch - and his substitutional decisions are at best questionable

unless our fortunes are reversed soon we are going to find ourselves below Leeds before the end of september - and then remember that they started a full 15 points behind us

Al

Got to go spot on, no tactics, no contacts and a very poor judge of a player. It maybe only 2 weeks in to the season but for him to play Harrold yet again tells the story for the forseeable future. Mark Simpson is my choice, strong character and plenty of contacts!

Sorry, can't agree. Tilson's phenomenal achievements warrant some patience from us.

Less than a year ago, Tilson was being approached by big Championship clubs because he was rightly regarded as one of the bright, up-and-coming managers in the league. He hasn't suddenly become a crap manager now.

He'll turn it around, keep the faith.

I agree, remember we want stability this season, if he brings that then he should stay, he should be sacked if we get relegated this season though.

I personally dont see Martin sacking him though anyway.

3 games in, one win 2 losses, this is as bad as the critisism Martin Jol has been getting!

Got to go spot on, no tactics, no contacts and a very poor judge of a player. It maybe only 2 weeks in to the season but for him to play Harrold yet again tells the story for the forseeable future. Mark Simpson is my choice, strong character and plenty of contacts!

Is he related to Homer?

Can we bring in Spider-Pig?

Two games in to the season and still about 24 places above where the management team took charge and this thread appears.

Seriously, get a grip. We've lost a local derby, drew and then won a meaningless cup game against a team in our division and lost at one of the most intimidating venues in the league.

The team's not looking like promotion material but anyone who thought we were top three was hopeful in the extreme. How many of our strikers have started 4 consecutive league games for us?

Perhaps those people believing we would be in amongst it this season, will have a reality check now..

We are a million miles from being a top 6 side, until we make more purchases, starting with a proven striker..

Perhaps those people believing we would be in amongst it this season, will have a reality check now..

We are a million miles from being a top 6 side, until we make more purchases, starting with a proven striker..

Agreed. It's not the time to panic and start offloading the management team but we need to buy quality, starting with players who are proven. Defensively, we are obviously poor still, as seems to be traditional with Southend teams in recent years which may be more of a psychological thing but needs addressing. As it is, to suggest that we may even be a top half side is looking hopeful until we can a) score consistently (Barrett is NOT a striker) and b) defend.

This is ridiculous after 2 league games! I would argue that the vast majority of Tilson's signing have brought something to the squad and as someone pointed out, who would replace him? There are hardly a plethora of proven managers available. We should give him this season at least.

I had a little think about the whole situation and I am glad that we have hit this rutt now, rather than in the middle or at the end. Best to get your **** run over and done with. Every team has it.

Pure stupidity!!! As for your choice of replacement, who is Mark Simpson?!?! I'm guessing you mean Mark Stimson and it's this point alone that shows how little you actually do know!!!

Pure stupidity!!! As for your choice of replacement, who is Mark Simpson?!?! I'm guessing you mean Mark Stimson and it's this point alone that shows how little you actually do know!!!

LOL!!! You done him there. Have some Gween.

Tilly is still the man for the job. He knows the players and if we was to get a new manager I wouldnt be too surprised if we saw the likes of Barrett follow! Tilly just needs to get out the cash and buy a goalscorer!

Tilson definitely deserves time to turn us round - he is the classic example of the victim of one's own success. Saving us from relegation to the Conference was an achievement in itself. To then build a double promotion winning squad in such a small space of time was incredible and beyond everyone's expectations (I believe that Ron Martin's target three seasons ago was to finish 12th in League 2).

Last season was a disappointment but to be honest I had a sneaky feeling we'd go straight back down even days after the euphoria of Swansea. I just didn't feel we were ready for the Championship yet and sadly I was proved right. Until we get the new stadium, League 1 is our realistic level. That's not to say we shouldn't be trying to aim as high as possible but I do think we've been generally thoroughly spoilt in the Tilson era so far and that has resulted in some of today's hysterical posting.

Of course, Tilly isn't blameless and in particular he really does need to address his policy on substitutions but the priority now is for the club as a whole to stick together - and that includes us - and get behind everybody as much as possible.

Earlier today I had a row with my girlfriend which led to her storming out of the flat. At the time I was quite happy for her to stay out but minutes later I was already missing her and when she returned we had a chat and everything returned to normal. When you have a successful relationship you don't just dump your other half after a couple of arguments, you work on it and address the problems.

Tilly's relationship with Southend has largely been a resounding success and, even though this is the rockiest patch of that relationship so far, he has earned the right to some time and patience. Dumping him now would be a major risk - after all, you never know how long you'll have to wait before the next Tilly comes along.

Tilson definitely deserves time to turn us round - he is the classic example of the victim of one's own success. Saving us from relegation to the Conference was an achievement in itself. To then build a double promotion winning squad in such a small space of time was incredible and beyond everyone's expectations (I believe that Ron Martin's target three seasons ago was to finish 12th in League 2).

Last season was a disappointment but to be honest I had a sneaky feeling we'd go straight back down even days after the euphoria of Swansea. I just didn't feel we were ready for the Championship yet and sadly I was proved right. Until we get the new stadium, League 1 is our realistic level. That's not to say we shouldn't be trying to aim as high as possible but I do think we've been generally thoroughly spoilt in the Tilson era so far and that has resulted in some of today's hysterical posting.

Of course, Tilly isn't blameless and in particular he really does need to address his policy on substitutions but the priority now is for the club as a whole to stick together - and that includes us - and get behind everybody as much as possible.

Earlier today I had a row with my girlfriend which led to her storming out of the flat. At the time I was quite happy for her to stay out but minutes later I was already missing her and when she returned we had a chat and everything returned to normal. When you have a successful relationship you don't just dump your other half after a couple of arguments, you work on it and address the problems.

Tilly's relationship with Southend has largely been a resounding success and, even though this is the rockiest patch of that relationship so far, he has earned the right to some time and patience. Dumping him now would be a major risk - after all, you never know how long you'll have to wait before the next Tilly comes along.

Fair comment mate but i think you should perhaps replace the word 'tilly' with 'eastwood'.

(oh, and you should have changed the locks while you had the opportunity!)

Back