• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilson must go

Sorry, what exactly has AB contributed, apart from being a member of one of the leakiest defences in the league for the last 3 seasons, which is OK if you are scoring more than you are conceding.

Forgot to say that anyone with knives out for Tilson can get stuffed. Tactically wanting, but still learning the trade and the next Dario Grady as far as I'm concerned.

Our Club has grown with Tilson and it will continue to.

well, i have to disagree wholeheartedly . . . the club which grew is suddenly shrivelling and unless the brakes are put on to stop the slide, then League 2 will be knocking on our door well before the january sales are over

Al

Sorry, what exactly has AB contributed, apart from being a member of one of the leakiest defences in the league for the last 3 seasons, which is OK if you are scoring more than you are conceding.

Of the four defenders playing today, I think Barrett is the least of our worries.

He's been the beating heart of this team, driving us on in our darkest days, reaching deep into his reserves to summon up one final charging run in the last ten minutes. He's given our dreams wings, he's driven our hopes, he's charged our glasses.

His shiny dome has given me light in the gloom.

I'm aware that he's not exactly the best defender in the world, but I do like him.

He's also scored two thirds of all the league goals we've scored in the past four and a half months.

Of the four defenders playing today, I think Barrett is the least of our worries.

Yep, I'd make you about right with that comment. The only thing that really annoys me is that a number of people on here seem to think this issue has crept up on us all of a sudden. It hasn't and we haven't had a tight defence (in any combination) since we put that long unbeaten run together three seasons back.

Sorry, what exactly has AB contributed, apart from being a member of one of the leakiest defences in the league for the last 3 seasons

Last season that was definitely true regarding the amount of goals we conceded.

Is it really true that we leaked goals during the promotion seasons or did it just make your argument sound more convincing?

this is a good point that we have one of the leakiest defenses. i mean last season we all knew we would concede, but i think you are wrong.
when we got promotion from league 2 we conceded just 14 home goals, the best in the division, and 32 away goals which was about average.
and when we won the league we coneded 16 at home second best to forest and only27 away which again was about average. now tell me how that is one of the leakiest defenses for 3 years.

I thin it just proved one thing last season that although flavs is a great shot stopper he is not big enough to play at that level, and we coneded so many goals from dropped crosses, being out jumped by stikers and free kicks that floated past flavs coz he couldnt jump high enough. i think he has been a great servant for us but maybe a time for collis to step forward

Last season that was definitely true regarding the amount of goals we conceded.

Is it really true that we leaked goals during the promotion seasons or did it just make your argument sound more convincing?

Well we conceded around 60 league goals each season, but what I can't remember is how poor that was compared to others. Naturally this doesn't matter if you are scoring more than you are conceding.

Well we conceded around 60 league goals each season, but what I can't remember is how poor that was compared to others. Naturally this doesn't matter if you are scoring more than you are conceding.

Having one of Sodje or Prior in the team along with some inspired goalkeeping straightened the defence out in our League one winning season. More than a replacement for Eastwood I think that bringing in an experianced, dominating centre-half should have been priority number one in the transfer market. I'm just not convinced at all by Peter Clarke. Not alongside Barrett anyway.

Naturally this doesn't matter if you are scoring more than you are conceding.

which is unlikely to happen with the firepower we currently have . . . . our inability to keep a clean sheet pre-season should have been enough for all of us to cast a worried eye towards this season

Al

I appear to have screwed up badly - the goals conceded might be all competiions but I can't seem to find historical league info (presumably because of premiumTV ??).

I may have to eat humble pie when someone gets the full league stats for the last 3 complete seasons.

i dont know if u read the other post but we only conceded 46 in league 2 and 43 in league one, not quite 60 is it

Sorry - was in midpost with my prev comment - your figures are noted. Thanks.

Pass the humble pie someone !!!!!!!!!!

I appear to have screwed up badly - the goals conceded might be all competiions but I can't seem to find historical league info (presumably because of premiumTV ??).

I may have to eat humble pie when someone gets the full league stats for the last 3 complete seasons.

just go onto the offical website and look at tables, it gives you the tables for the last 8 years i think (top right of the table)

peter clarke was probably our best player in the second half of last season, so i dont know how u can say that

Well I don't think that is true in the least. Barrett, Campbell-Ryce, Gower & Maher were all better than Clarke. Clarke is ok and obviously did well at Blackpool but he makes too many errors for me. Barrett makes errors too but makes up for them with other parts of his game.

Back