• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane The Sutton Arms

Did any ever take the North bank? I recall standing near the far goal post one Friday night and turning around to see a small mob weilding an iron bar, some Northern mob was it Scunthorpe ?? They got dispatched pretty quickly

I remember in the early 70's when they had the downstairs bar, & there were cubicles in the shape of space capsules.
1st home game of 75-76 season home to Sheff Weds, who brought probably the biggest away crew to us ( maybe apart from Brighton in 74? ) up to that time.
They had several attempts to steam in 'The Sutton Arms' which all failed, followed by us steaming out at them, backwards & forwards for some time.
The late Terry Hammond was playing pool & the table kept getting knocked during the fracas.
After a while he'd had enough, grabbed his pool cue, ran outside & chased all the Sheffield fans up the road!. He wasn't a regular Blue's fan, but led the charge at Colchester 4-5 years earlier, when they had a crew waiting over the road after the game.
An ex 'Belfairs boy', think his last local was the old 'White Horse', now 'The Walnut Tree'.

Did any ever take the North bank? I recall standing near the far goal post one Friday night and turning around to see a small mob weilding an iron bar, some Northern mob was it Scunthorpe ?? They got dispatched pretty quickly
Not during those days. 1st team to do that was in 73 & it was Boreham Wood in the F.A. cup. Arsenal were playing at West Ham that day, & during the train journey to Upton Park many of them got 'cold feet' & decided to come to Southend ( as many of them were from the Boreham Wood area ).
Many of our lads didn't bother going that day, & OB put the Boreham Wood mob ( Arsenal ) in the North Bank early doors. We had a go at taking it back ( a Leigh legend who posts on here led the charge ) but the damage was done alas.

I was with Peter on a packed underground train coming away from Wembley. Peter was always big on cleanliness and he wound up with his nose squashed against a fella with his arm raised holding the rail. All of sudden I start getting digs in the ribs from Peter, his eyes had gone manic and he's hissing ' Biff Biff, pits pits' l couldn't stop laughing, which didn't help matters, and all the while I'm thinking 'oh **** me, don't go garrity on here'.

I recall in the late 80's early 90's when the Whitsun air show came to town. Pete & another guy wearing white butchers coats, had gained access to the old woodyard in Woodgrange drive, & were charging day trippers to park in there!.
The other fella was Podge. I saw Podge in the afternoon and he told me another couple of fellas had the same idea and got to the land the same time as Peter and him and there was a Mexican stand-off in the middle of the land, in the end they split the land down the middle.

Terry Hammond s son played in the same team as my son so got to know him. Not that long before he died was watching Essex cricket. David Lloyd kept laughing at some guy screaming eessexx at the top of his voice. The camera panned on to said fellow and it turned out to be a rather inebriated Mr Hammond 😂😂

Bob W did the same car parking trick when we won promotion in 1991. At the end of the season he was charging people to park on the grass island on Prittlewell Chase, one game he filled it, from Fairfax Drive right up to Southend High School.
Bob's still going strong. He still likes to earn a few quid. He used to sell the football, rugby and pop souvenirs with me decades ago. He's now got a garden, fencing and landscaping business, and also does Christmas Trees on the A127 near Tesco. He won't mind me telling you that, as he likes extra business. I've not seen him for about a year, but when I see him, I will laugh with him about this story, Biffo.

Bob's still going strong. He still likes to earn a few quid. He used to sell the football, rugby and pop souvenirs with me decades ago. He's now got a garden, fencing and landscaping business, and also does Christmas Trees on the A127 near Tesco. He won't mind me telling you that, as he likes extra business. I've not seen him for about a year, but when I see him, I will laugh with him about this story, Biffo.
As you say Mr Woolf is well alive and kicking.

Back