• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane The Sutton Arms

Bottom photo was the Sutton beano to Yarmouth. Out of shot Podge had nicked a bike and was riding around singing 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' and, apparently, I had pulled a monkey. I seem to remember the police not being happy to have us in town for the day.

View attachment 32468
Nobody was as mad as Peter.
When we was at school Peter was round my house a lot. My parents loved him, even used to say to me, 'Why can't you be more like, Peter'. Roll forward a few years, the daily paper drops through the letter box front page was a picture of a roof top riot at HMP Parkhurst with Peter and some IRA prisoners on the roof. 'Bet you wish I was more like, Peter' said I laughing.

When we was at school Peter was round my house a lot. My parents loved him, even used to say to me, 'Why can't you be more like, Peter'. Roll forward a few years, the daily paper drops through the letter box front page was a picture of a roof top riot at HMP Parkhurst with Peter and some IRA prisoners on the roof. 'Bet you wish I was more like, Peter' said I laughing.
He was a character to the end. The trouble was you could never tell what mood he was in. A loveable guy Laughing one minute and completely off his trolley the next. He was always the perfect gentleman to our parent's.

He was a character to the end. The trouble was you could never tell what mood he was in. A loveable guy Laughing one minute and completely off his trolley the next. He was always the perfect gentleman to our parent's.
He was a loyal friend, but yeah, he was prone to going off on one. His photofit picture popped up on Crimewatch a couple of times.

Thankfully I got on with all the Sutton Arms lot, and would go there about once a Month. Also, the Sutton Arms would be the starting point for big games, so we would meet there about 3 hours before kick-off, apart from one match day, where they all wanted to meet in the Cork & Cheese. I soon found out why...topless barmaids, Lol. The Sutton was a mixture of lads from all areas in the Southend Borough, and we were one. So the little wars going on between areas was ignored at the Sutton. Peter Knight was definitely Jeckyl and Hyde. One day you could say something to him and he would laugh his head off, the next day it might be a different outcome. I've told my Layer Road story of Pete on here. JB was quite game, as those Wickford skinheads found out when they came for trouble at the Sutton and Qs pool room almost next door. JBs still about, although lost the hair and looks different. Billy Prentice is still about.

Back