• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Academy

Hi Stan, out of interest, if you were appointed HOFO, would you be happy to start, by working with the existing staff, such as Ricky Duncan?
Or is that a red line?
I can work with anyone who is professional and shows me a working respect. 30 years in football across industries makes you a pragmatist.

But I'm on record clearly which, in my considered opinion would see Brown, Duncan, Fagan and Robinson relieved of all roles at Southend United Football Club.

But that is not my decision.

Our academy for many years has been a great source of pride for me as a fan, we genuinely have had some fantastic players, and in our current predicament I am even more vocal about their increased use in the first team over dads army

Hi Exiled, great post from you earlier. My question is if the new stadium goes ahead, would that improve our academy status ? Keep up the great work !

Great post Rob,keep up the good work.

With reference to Glenn Speller, I heard his comments and thought he was talking out of his a***, but you can't expect anything else from a Col U supporter !!.

I can work with anyone who is professional and shows me a working respect. 30 years in football across industries makes you a pragmatist.

But I'm on record clearly which, in my considered opinion would see Brown, Duncan, Fagan and Robinson relieved of all roles at Southend United Football Club.

Surely Duncan was relieved of his role and is now back with the ACADEMY where in all seriousness he should never have left; Was totally wrong appointment as DOF. i think he was a Pb appointment to that position, PB was given way to much control on his reappointment.

Surely Duncan was relieved of his role and is now back with the ACADEMY where in all seriousness he should never have left; Was totally wrong appointment as DOF. i think he was a Pb appointment to that position, PB was given way to much control on his reappointment.

Incorrect. RD was effectively doing the DoF role since the Powell days. RD was one of the people that wanted PB back at the Club.

Incorrect. RD was effectively doing the DoF role since the Powell days. RD was one of the people that wanted PB back at the Club.
Well doesn't that tells us something. Didn't know that. If so DoF for the duration of the most dismal period in our history and presumably a hand in all those awful manager appointments and not just PB.

The suggestion here is that there is a perceived conflict of interests.

If so then that is an unhealthy scenario for any organisation.

I've resisted posting on this matter for a few weeks, but after seeing some further comments on the post-Dagenham match thread, I've felt compelled to put down my thoughts on the Academy and the production of players at Southend United at the moment. Rather than respond and take that thread off topic, I've decided to start a new thread.

To begin with, for those that don't know me, I've been providing coverage of the club's Academy, either officially or unofficially, for almost 20 years now. If you've read something on the official website or in the matchday programme about the U18s or the U23s in the past 12 years or so, there's a good chance I've either written it, providing some data behind it or it's informed by something I've written before. I say that not because I want any credit for it, but so that you know that it's coming from someone who has volunteered their time to publicise the work the Academy has done and has spoken to many of the protagonists there over a couple of decades. You may judge, because of that, that I'm too close to those protagonists, but I have a real fear that there are rumours circulating that are uninformed.

Firstly, there's a belief we're missing out seeing the best of our Academy talent. I was disappointed, to that end, in Glenn Speller perpetuating that on BBC Essex recently after his interview with Stan Collymore. It's true that some players have left the Academy at 12, 13 or 14, and that they have generated revenue for the club.

Look at Isaac Hayden and Glen Kamara (who both joined Arsenal and are now at Newcastle United and Rangers respectively) or Finley Burns and George Murray-Jones (both at Manchester City). But my counter-argument to that is that we should not stand in the way of those players going on to further their careers. There's a human element to those moves; those players are getting the opportunity to sign for top, top football clubs in this country. Yes, we'd love to see them play for Southend United, but they might only get one chance to join an Arsenal or a Manchester City; City in particular can offer a dedicated schooling to further their education and assist parents in getting jobs in the local area so they can relocate. We can't compete with that.

And because we have shown that we will not stand in the way of young players joining those top Academies if they get the chance, you encourage those players to sign for Southend United rather than a Colchester United (Cat 2 Academy) or a Leyton Orient (like us a Cat 3 Academy). There's a dual aspect to the player joining us; they can make it at Southend United, or they can make it at another, bigger club.

It also means we get players coming in the opposite direction. Daniel Bentley was released by Arsenal, and he was recommended to come to Southend for his scholarship. Luke Chambers, slightly before him, followed the same path without breaking into our first team. Stuart O'Keefe joined us at 16 from Ipswich Town, Elvis Bwomono arrived here at 14 after being released by Queens Park Rangers, Tom Clifford had been at Tottenham Hotspur as a 9-year-old and then came here when he didn't make it there. With the exception of Bentley (from Wickford), these weren't local players, they were spread around East Anglia and London.

Whilst on the subject of recruitment, I mentioned in the summer that our Academy recruitment has not been a problem. We are not missing out on players. Aside from players joining us from higher Academies (and you can include Rob Howard's return, Isaac Hutchinson, Harry Kyprianou, Richard Taylor as post-scholarship arrivals), we've also attracted players from local non-league clubs.

For example, Charlie Kelman came from AFC Hornchurch, Kenny Coker from Billericay Town, Charlie Sayers from Bowers & Pitsea, Miles Mitchell-Nelson from Ryan in east London and Eren Kinali from Intersports. Kelman and Coker have generated revenue for the club; Sayers might well do in the future. That's exactly the model some are proposing following (Brentford, Peterborough United) in place already.

If we want to attract players to the Academy, the best thing we can do is get back into the EFL as quickly as possible, because remaining in the National League is the biggest threat. This season we receive 100% Academy funding, but that's reduced to 50% next season and nothing the season afterwards. Ron Martin has committed, as far as I'm aware, to funding for two seasons, but thereafter the Academy is under real threat. Ron can continue to fund an EFL license, I believe, after that, but the club would not be entitled to any compensation for players that join another Academy. Even Stan will struggle to sell that to an up-and-coming player and his parents in the local area.

Would we have liked to have seen Kelman, Coker, Hutchinson or Nathan Bishop play for the first-team more often? Absolutely we would have. But Kelman, Hutchinson and Bishop were all moved on when the football club needed to raise money, because we were under an embargo. Coker was allowed to leave for the best Academy in East Anglia in Norwich City. Looking back in time, Stuart O'Keefe has gone on to have a successful career in the EFL (and even appeared in the Premier League); he left in the summer of 2010 because he was being paid late and at times didn't even have enough money to fill his car with petrol. That's not the fault of the Academy, it's the fault of the football club and the ownership.

We have had players that have gone on to play regularly for the first team (Bentley, Jack Payne, Bwomono, Clifford, Terrell Egbri). In fact, in data released by the EFL in April this year, we ranked second amongst Category 3 Academies for Academy production in the past three seasons, sixth amongst the same clubs in the past six seasons, fifth over nine seasons and eighth in twelve seasons. Even yesterday at Dagenham & Redbridge, we had Harry Seaden, Rob Howard, Terrell Egbri, Jack Bridge, Harry Phillips and Sayers on the pitch and Matt Rush on the bench. Some of that is due to injuries, but Phillips, Egbri and Bridge are regular features.

So, to conclude, I'm pretty fed up of reading that we're missing out on the best young players in the area, or that we could so anymore to see the best of them in the first-team environment. The evidence, and data, suggests that simply isn't true. I'm sure someone will know a player or two that's decided to go elsewhere that we've missed out on, and I'm sure that some mistakes have been made along the way, but as a general rule, the Academy and Ricky Duncan as its manager, is something we should be proud of.

It's an Academy that has produced over 50 players for the first-team in the past 16 years, with over 1250 first-team appearances. Not only that, but it's produced Mark Bonner (now first-team coach at Cambridge United), Luke Hobbs (assistant Academy manager at Arsenal), Dave Huzzey (Academy manager at Colchester) and David Johnson (Head of London recruitment at Tottenham Hotspur). It has a good reputation in the game (Kamara, Freddie Ladapo, Howard and Bridge have all returned to a greater or lesser extent).

Recently it seems like the Academy and Ricky Duncan have been included in criticism of the way the club has been run, and needs to be fixed. I just wanted to provide a different perspective.
An interesting insight. You've put a lot of work into that and shown great dedication to the club. Many thanks if no one else says it.

The suggestion here is that there is a perceived conflict of interests.

If so then that is an unhealthy scenario for any organisation.

Conflicts of interest occur all the time in every business. They just have to be known, and managed/controlled. Almost impossible to eliminate them all.

Well said Rob ( exiled )

You've been covering the yoofs for so many years now ( maybe 15 ?) + i too often watch the u23s , you are always there + your reviews of each match are spot on.

Keep up the great work , i always luv following the careers of Young Shrimpers & i too get a big thrill when i see the likes of Hayden , Iorfa , Bentley make it big time after seeing them as raw players with potential .

Ive met Ricky Duncan plenty of times & ok , he's not everyones cup of tea , but the raw facts are that the vast majority of the kids rejected by Arsenal & Spurs over the years would not have given Southend a moments thought were it not for Duncan's contacts there. Whether u like how that happens or not , its business . Its how business works . It happens in almost every industry. Its who you know , not what you know. You stroke my back , i ll stroke yours.
What i can tell you is loads of ex Southend Yoofs love him , ive seen him at Billericay matches sitting next to Norman Wabo ( long before he joined them ) & a string of others + if the players like him , want to play for him + this goes around the circuit , then surely this is only good for our club.

The academy is the lifeblood of our club , lets look after it

Conflicts of interest occur all the time in every business. They just have to be known, and managed/controlled. Almost impossible to eliminate them all.
Agreed, I work in Compliance and it seems the suggestion is that whilst known, it was not being managed - pretty poor Leadership if that was the case

I think we can all see why Brown and Fagan have gone and Robinson has not covered himself in glory but perhaps you can help us understand the issue with RD?

I think we can all see why Brown and Fagan have gone and Robinson has not covered himself in glory but perhaps you can help us understand the issue with RD?

Thought it was explained in the "I can work with anyone who is professional and shows me a working respect" part of his post.

Although that is me trying to read between the lines rather than actual confirmation.

I've resisted posting on this matter for a few weeks, but after seeing some further comments on the post-Dagenham match thread, I've felt compelled to put down my thoughts on the Academy and the production of players at Southend United at the moment. Rather than respond and take that thread off topic, I've decided to start a new thread.

To begin with, for those that don't know me, I've been providing coverage of the club's Academy, either officially or unofficially, for almost 20 years now. If you've read something on the official website or in the matchday programme about the U18s or the U23s in the past 12 years or so, there's a good chance I've either written it, providing some data behind it or it's informed by something I've written before. I say that not because I want any credit for it, but so that you know that it's coming from someone who has volunteered their time to publicise the work the Academy has done and has spoken to many of the protagonists there over a couple of decades. You may judge, because of that, that I'm too close to those protagonists, but I have a real fear that there are rumours circulating that are uninformed.

Firstly, there's a belief we're missing out seeing the best of our Academy talent. I was disappointed, to that end, in Glenn Speller perpetuating that on BBC Essex recently after his interview with Stan Collymore. It's true that some players have left the Academy at 12, 13 or 14, and that they have generated revenue for the club.

Look at Isaac Hayden and Glen Kamara (who both joined Arsenal and are now at Newcastle United and Rangers respectively) or Finley Burns and George Murray-Jones (both at Manchester City). But my counter-argument to that is that we should not stand in the way of those players going on to further their careers. There's a human element to those moves; those players are getting the opportunity to sign for top, top football clubs in this country. Yes, we'd love to see them play for Southend United, but they might only get one chance to join an Arsenal or a Manchester City; City in particular can offer a dedicated schooling to further their education and assist parents in getting jobs in the local area so they can relocate. We can't compete with that.

And because we have shown that we will not stand in the way of young players joining those top Academies if they get the chance, you encourage those players to sign for Southend United rather than a Colchester United (Cat 2 Academy) or a Leyton Orient (like us a Cat 3 Academy). There's a dual aspect to the player joining us; they can make it at Southend United, or they can make it at another, bigger club.

It also means we get players coming in the opposite direction. Daniel Bentley was released by Arsenal, and he was recommended to come to Southend for his scholarship. Luke Chambers, slightly before him, followed the same path without breaking into our first team. Stuart O'Keefe joined us at 16 from Ipswich Town, Elvis Bwomono arrived here at 14 after being released by Queens Park Rangers, Tom Clifford had been at Tottenham Hotspur as a 9-year-old and then came here when he didn't make it there. With the exception of Bentley (from Wickford), these weren't local players, they were spread around East Anglia and London.

Whilst on the subject of recruitment, I mentioned in the summer that our Academy recruitment has not been a problem. We are not missing out on players. Aside from players joining us from higher Academies (and you can include Rob Howard's return, Isaac Hutchinson, Harry Kyprianou, Richard Taylor as post-scholarship arrivals), we've also attracted players from local non-league clubs.

For example, Charlie Kelman came from AFC Hornchurch, Kenny Coker from Billericay Town, Charlie Sayers from Bowers & Pitsea, Miles Mitchell-Nelson from Ryan in east London and Eren Kinali from Intersports. Kelman and Coker have generated revenue for the club; Sayers might well do in the future. That's exactly the model some are proposing following (Brentford, Peterborough United) in place already.

If we want to attract players to the Academy, the best thing we can do is get back into the EFL as quickly as possible, because remaining in the National League is the biggest threat. This season we receive 100% Academy funding, but that's reduced to 50% next season and nothing the season afterwards. Ron Martin has committed, as far as I'm aware, to funding for two seasons, but thereafter the Academy is under real threat. Ron can continue to fund an EFL license, I believe, after that, but the club would not be entitled to any compensation for players that join another Academy. Even Stan will struggle to sell that to an up-and-coming player and his parents in the local area.

Would we have liked to have seen Kelman, Coker, Hutchinson or Nathan Bishop play for the first-team more often? Absolutely we would have. But Kelman, Hutchinson and Bishop were all moved on when the football club needed to raise money, because we were under an embargo. Coker was allowed to leave for the best Academy in East Anglia in Norwich City. Looking back in time, Stuart O'Keefe has gone on to have a successful career in the EFL (and even appeared in the Premier League); he left in the summer of 2010 because he was being paid late and at times didn't even have enough money to fill his car with petrol. That's not the fault of the Academy, it's the fault of the football club and the ownership.

We have had players that have gone on to play regularly for the first team (Bentley, Jack Payne, Bwomono, Clifford, Terrell Egbri). In fact, in data released by the EFL in April this year, we ranked second amongst Category 3 Academies for Academy production in the past three seasons, sixth amongst the same clubs in the past six seasons, fifth over nine seasons and eighth in twelve seasons. Even yesterday at Dagenham & Redbridge, we had Harry Seaden, Rob Howard, Terrell Egbri, Jack Bridge, Harry Phillips and Sayers on the pitch and Matt Rush on the bench. Some of that is due to injuries, but Phillips, Egbri and Bridge are regular features.

So, to conclude, I'm pretty fed up of reading that we're missing out on the best young players in the area, or that we could so anymore to see the best of them in the first-team environment. The evidence, and data, suggests that simply isn't true. I'm sure someone will know a player or two that's decided to go elsewhere that we've missed out on, and I'm sure that some mistakes have been made along the way, but as a general rule, the Academy and Ricky Duncan as its manager, is something we should be proud of.

It's an Academy that has produced over 50 players for the first-team in the past 16 years, with over 1250 first-team appearances. Not only that, but it's produced Mark Bonner (now first-team coach at Cambridge United), Luke Hobbs (assistant Academy manager at Arsenal), Dave Huzzey (Academy manager at Colchester) and David Johnson (Head of London recruitment at Tottenham Hotspur). It has a good reputation in the game (Kamara, Freddie Ladapo, Howard and Bridge have all returned to a greater or lesser extent).

Recently it seems like the Academy and Ricky Duncan have been included in criticism of the way the club has been run, and needs to be fixed. I just wanted to provide a different perspective.
That's very enlightening, so thank you.

I do have to pick you up on one bit though. Are you seriously suggesting there might be some uninformed rumours on SZ? Well I never.

Thought it was explained in the "I can work with anyone who is professional and shows me a working respect" part of his post.

Although that is me trying to read between the lines rather than actual confirmation.
Perhaps he could expand on that. How is RD unprofessional and/or how does he show him no respect? If it's a personality clash then maybe mediation should come before the sack but if RD isn't good at his job, why?

Back