• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Academy

I've resisted posting on this matter for a few weeks, but after seeing some further comments on the post-Dagenham match thread, I've felt compelled to put down my thoughts on the Academy and the production of players at Southend United at the moment. Rather than respond and take that thread off topic, I've decided to start a new thread.

To begin with, for those that don't know me, I've been providing coverage of the club's Academy, either officially or unofficially, for almost 20 years now. If you've read something on the official website or in the matchday programme about the U18s or the U23s in the past 12 years or so, there's a good chance I've either written it, providing some data behind it or it's informed by something I've written before. I say that not because I want any credit for it, but so that you know that it's coming from someone who has volunteered their time to publicise the work the Academy has done and has spoken to many of the protagonists there over a couple of decades. You may judge, because of that, that I'm too close to those protagonists, but I have a real fear that there are rumours circulating that are uninformed.

Firstly, there's a belief we're missing out seeing the best of our Academy talent. I was disappointed, to that end, in Glenn Speller perpetuating that on BBC Essex recently after his interview with Stan Collymore. It's true that some players have left the Academy at 12, 13 or 14, and that they have generated revenue for the club.

Look at Isaac Hayden and Glen Kamara (who both joined Arsenal and are now at Newcastle United and Rangers respectively) or Finley Burns and George Murray-Jones (both at Manchester City). But my counter-argument to that is that we should not stand in the way of those players going on to further their careers. There's a human element to those moves; those players are getting the opportunity to sign for top, top football clubs in this country. Yes, we'd love to see them play for Southend United, but they might only get one chance to join an Arsenal or a Manchester City; City in particular can offer a dedicated schooling to further their education and assist parents in getting jobs in the local area so they can relocate. We can't compete with that.

And because we have shown that we will not stand in the way of young players joining those top Academies if they get the chance, you encourage those players to sign for Southend United rather than a Colchester United (Cat 2 Academy) or a Leyton Orient (like us a Cat 3 Academy). There's a dual aspect to the player joining us; they can make it at Southend United, or they can make it at another, bigger club.

It also means we get players coming in the opposite direction. Daniel Bentley was released by Arsenal, and he was recommended to come to Southend for his scholarship. Luke Chambers, slightly before him, followed the same path without breaking into our first team. Stuart O'Keefe joined us at 16 from Ipswich Town, Elvis Bwomono arrived here at 14 after being released by Queens Park Rangers, Tom Clifford had been at Tottenham Hotspur as a 9-year-old and then came here when he didn't make it there. With the exception of Bentley (from Wickford), these weren't local players, they were spread around East Anglia and London.

Whilst on the subject of recruitment, I mentioned in the summer that our Academy recruitment has not been a problem. We are not missing out on players. Aside from players joining us from higher Academies (and you can include Rob Howard's return, Isaac Hutchinson, Harry Kyprianou, Richard Taylor as post-scholarship arrivals), we've also attracted players from local non-league clubs.

For example, Charlie Kelman came from AFC Hornchurch, Kenny Coker from Billericay Town, Charlie Sayers from Bowers & Pitsea, Miles Mitchell-Nelson from Ryan in east London and Eren Kinali from Intersports. Kelman and Coker have generated revenue for the club; Sayers might well do in the future. That's exactly the model some are proposing following (Brentford, Peterborough United) in place already.

If we want to attract players to the Academy, the best thing we can do is get back into the EFL as quickly as possible, because remaining in the National League is the biggest threat. This season we receive 100% Academy funding, but that's reduced to 50% next season and nothing the season afterwards. Ron Martin has committed, as far as I'm aware, to funding for two seasons, but thereafter the Academy is under real threat. Ron can continue to fund an EFL license, I believe, after that, but the club would not be entitled to any compensation for players that join another Academy. Even Stan will struggle to sell that to an up-and-coming player and his parents in the local area.

Would we have liked to have seen Kelman, Coker, Hutchinson or Nathan Bishop play for the first-team more often? Absolutely we would have. But Kelman, Hutchinson and Bishop were all moved on when the football club needed to raise money, because we were under an embargo. Coker was allowed to leave for the best Academy in East Anglia in Norwich City. Looking back in time, Stuart O'Keefe has gone on to have a successful career in the EFL (and even appeared in the Premier League); he left in the summer of 2010 because he was being paid late and at times didn't even have enough money to fill his car with petrol. That's not the fault of the Academy, it's the fault of the football club and the ownership.

We have had players that have gone on to play regularly for the first team (Bentley, Jack Payne, Bwomono, Clifford, Terrell Egbri). In fact, in data released by the EFL in April this year, we ranked second amongst Category 3 Academies for Academy production in the past three seasons, sixth amongst the same clubs in the past six seasons, fifth over nine seasons and eighth in twelve seasons. Even yesterday at Dagenham & Redbridge, we had Harry Seaden, Rob Howard, Terrell Egbri, Jack Bridge, Harry Phillips and Sayers on the pitch and Matt Rush on the bench. Some of that is due to injuries, but Phillips, Egbri and Bridge are regular features.

So, to conclude, I'm pretty fed up of reading that we're missing out on the best young players in the area, or that we could so anymore to see the best of them in the first-team environment. The evidence, and data, suggests that simply isn't true. I'm sure someone will know a player or two that's decided to go elsewhere that we've missed out on, and I'm sure that some mistakes have been made along the way, but as a general rule, the Academy and Ricky Duncan as its manager, is something we should be proud of.

It's an Academy that has produced over 50 players for the first-team in the past 16 years, with over 1250 first-team appearances. Not only that, but it's produced Mark Bonner (now first-team coach at Cambridge United), Luke Hobbs (assistant Academy manager at Arsenal), Dave Huzzey (Academy manager at Colchester) and David Johnson (Head of London recruitment at Tottenham Hotspur). It has a good reputation in the game (Kamara, Freddie Ladapo, Howard and Bridge have all returned to a greater or lesser extent).

Recently it seems like the Academy and Ricky Duncan have been included in criticism of the way the club has been run, and needs to be fixed. I just wanted to provide a different perspective.

Thank you for a very informative and best of all calm, factual and reasoned post which is a refreshing change and contrast after some of the over heated, hyped up, self aggrandising rhetoric seen on the Zone over the past couple of weeks.

I've resisted posting on this matter for a few weeks, but after seeing some further comments on the post-Dagenham match thread, I've felt compelled to put down my thoughts on the Academy and the production of players at Southend United at the moment. Rather than respond and take that thread off topic, I've decided to start a new thread.

To begin with, for those that don't know me, I've been providing coverage of the club's Academy, either officially or unofficially, for almost 20 years now. If you've read something on the official website or in the matchday programme about the U18s or the U23s in the past 12 years or so, there's a good chance I've either written it, providing some data behind it or it's informed by something I've written before. I say that not because I want any credit for it, but so that you know that it's coming from someone who has volunteered their time to publicise the work the Academy has done and has spoken to many of the protagonists there over a couple of decades. You may judge, because of that, that I'm too close to those protagonists, but I have a real fear that there are rumours circulating that are uninformed.

Firstly, there's a belief we're missing out seeing the best of our Academy talent. I was disappointed, to that end, in Glenn Speller perpetuating that on BBC Essex recently after his interview with Stan Collymore. It's true that some players have left the Academy at 12, 13 or 14, and that they have generated revenue for the club.

Look at Isaac Hayden and Glen Kamara (who both joined Arsenal and are now at Newcastle United and Rangers respectively) or Finley Burns and George Murray-Jones (both at Manchester City). But my counter-argument to that is that we should not stand in the way of those players going on to further their careers. There's a human element to those moves; those players are getting the opportunity to sign for top, top football clubs in this country. Yes, we'd love to see them play for Southend United, but they might only get one chance to join an Arsenal or a Manchester City; City in particular can offer a dedicated schooling to further their education and assist parents in getting jobs in the local area so they can relocate. We can't compete with that.

And because we have shown that we will not stand in the way of young players joining those top Academies if they get the chance, you encourage those players to sign for Southend United rather than a Colchester United (Cat 2 Academy) or a Leyton Orient (like us a Cat 3 Academy). There's a dual aspect to the player joining us; they can make it at Southend United, or they can make it at another, bigger club.

It also means we get players coming in the opposite direction. Daniel Bentley was released by Arsenal, and he was recommended to come to Southend for his scholarship. Luke Chambers, slightly before him, followed the same path without breaking into our first team. Stuart O'Keefe joined us at 16 from Ipswich Town, Elvis Bwomono arrived here at 14 after being released by Queens Park Rangers, Tom Clifford had been at Tottenham Hotspur as a 9-year-old and then came here when he didn't make it there. With the exception of Bentley (from Wickford), these weren't local players, they were spread around East Anglia and London.

Whilst on the subject of recruitment, I mentioned in the summer that our Academy recruitment has not been a problem. We are not missing out on players. Aside from players joining us from higher Academies (and you can include Rob Howard's return, Isaac Hutchinson, Harry Kyprianou, Richard Taylor as post-scholarship arrivals), we've also attracted players from local non-league clubs.

For example, Charlie Kelman came from AFC Hornchurch, Kenny Coker from Billericay Town, Charlie Sayers from Bowers & Pitsea, Miles Mitchell-Nelson from Ryan in east London and Eren Kinali from Intersports. Kelman and Coker have generated revenue for the club; Sayers might well do in the future. That's exactly the model some are proposing following (Brentford, Peterborough United) in place already.

If we want to attract players to the Academy, the best thing we can do is get back into the EFL as quickly as possible, because remaining in the National League is the biggest threat. This season we receive 100% Academy funding, but that's reduced to 50% next season and nothing the season afterwards. Ron Martin has committed, as far as I'm aware, to funding for two seasons, but thereafter the Academy is under real threat. Ron can continue to fund an EFL license, I believe, after that, but the club would not be entitled to any compensation for players that join another Academy. Even Stan will struggle to sell that to an up-and-coming player and his parents in the local area.

Would we have liked to have seen Kelman, Coker, Hutchinson or Nathan Bishop play for the first-team more often? Absolutely we would have. But Kelman, Hutchinson and Bishop were all moved on when the football club needed to raise money, because we were under an embargo. Coker was allowed to leave for the best Academy in East Anglia in Norwich City. Looking back in time, Stuart O'Keefe has gone on to have a successful career in the EFL (and even appeared in the Premier League); he left in the summer of 2010 because he was being paid late and at times didn't even have enough money to fill his car with petrol. That's not the fault of the Academy, it's the fault of the football club and the ownership.

We have had players that have gone on to play regularly for the first team (Bentley, Jack Payne, Bwomono, Clifford, Terrell Egbri). In fact, in data released by the EFL in April this year, we ranked second amongst Category 3 Academies for Academy production in the past three seasons, sixth amongst the same clubs in the past six seasons, fifth over nine seasons and eighth in twelve seasons. Even yesterday at Dagenham & Redbridge, we had Harry Seaden, Rob Howard, Terrell Egbri, Jack Bridge, Harry Phillips and Sayers on the pitch and Matt Rush on the bench. Some of that is due to injuries, but Phillips, Egbri and Bridge are regular features.

So, to conclude, I'm pretty fed up of reading that we're missing out on the best young players in the area, or that we could so anymore to see the best of them in the first-team environment. The evidence, and data, suggests that simply isn't true. I'm sure someone will know a player or two that's decided to go elsewhere that we've missed out on, and I'm sure that some mistakes have been made along the way, but as a general rule, the Academy and Ricky Duncan as its manager, is something we should be proud of.

It's an Academy that has produced over 50 players for the first-team in the past 16 years, with over 1250 first-team appearances. Not only that, but it's produced Mark Bonner (now first-team coach at Cambridge United), Luke Hobbs (assistant Academy manager at Arsenal), Dave Huzzey (Academy manager at Colchester) and David Johnson (Head of London recruitment at Tottenham Hotspur). It has a good reputation in the game (Kamara, Freddie Ladapo, Howard and Bridge have all returned to a greater or lesser extent).

Recently it seems like the Academy and Ricky Duncan have been included in criticism of the way the club has been run, and needs to be fixed. I just wanted to provide a different perspective.
Excellent post.

Genuine question, not trying to contradict. So my son has many friends at a local school who play for various academies from Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham and Colchester. Are these the type of kids people are referencing as being missed?

As you articulate there have been some players that have moved on but you reference that there has been some success relative to Brentford and Peterborough is absurd. For clarity they are in the pand champ and we are near bottom conference.

it’s also obvious that being bottom of the conference after 3 different managers that the youth players are not good enough for the first team and unfortunately season was an example of this yesterday.

An interesting post, the issue of the academy and its day to day running is the least of the problems relating to our club. It is one of the few areas of the clubs operations that doesn't need drastic surgery.

As you articulate there have been some players that have moved on but you reference that there has been some success relative to Brentford and Peterborough is absurd. For clarity they are in the pand champ and we are near bottom conference.

it’s also obvious that being bottom of the conference after 3 different managers that the youth players are not good enough for the first team and unfortunately season was an example of this yesterday.
I was not saying that there has been success relative to Brentford and Peterborough. I was saying that the model Brentford and Peterborough have following (picking up players from non-league or lower league football and then moving them on and making a profit from the sales) is something that the Academy has been able to replicate. It's clearly not exactly the same model (Brentford don't have an Academy at all, for example), but it's something our fans have been asking us to do. My point is that we're already doing it, and yet when we do it, it's seen as us missing out on those players.

I also don't believe the youth team players we have seen in the first team environment are not good enough. There may be some that won't be good enough, there may be some that aren't good enough yet, and then there will be others that are good enough but haven't been able to impress sufficiently because they are playing in a losing/toxic environment. That's very different to the picture you paint.

What he is saying is the success of the academy should not be based on the position of the first team squad. He could have great 18/19 year olds coming through to the first team, but if the squad they come into is in freefall with no solid foundation or structure then there is little chance for success.

It takes time for a young player to grow into the first team and we haven't had that luxury in years.

When Bentley came into the squad, he had a solid defence in front of him in Coker, Prosser, Phillips, and White. We have a new youngster in goal who had Howard, Dunne, and Ralph in one game and then Hobson, White, and Howard in the next.

Jack Payne broke into the first team and he had Leonard and Deegan behind him. We put Gard or Phillips in and the other midfielder or midfield two could vary from week to week depending on injuries (or whoever Brown wanted to drop for no reason at the time).

At the moment, our club is in a terrible position to promote young players and help them develop. If a League 2 club came in and offered them a chance to be with their under 23s, they would probably jump at the chance.

You're an absolute credit to the club, Exiled Shrimper, and as an ex player, without guys like you at football clubs fulfilling often informal roles, giving time to the club, often unpaid is genuinely heartwarming. Thank you!

I don't think anyone has ever suggested the Academy hasn't produced professional football players, although within that fact I think there are conversations to be had (if getting the best kids in a catchment area of 40 Miles from London isn't an issue) about the quality of players that have made first team level in recent seasons.

The primary role of an academy is to provide the best talent to Southend United's first team first, regularly, by every means possible. Trust me, often parents are wary of letting youngsters go to the bigger clubs (despite being wowed by facilities and glamour) because they often get swallowed up and spat out very quickly so a well run club from top to bottom with a clear pathway into the first team is still a very powerful weapon Southend United have, even in the current position.

Or to sell talent of all ages on the academy whenever good money is offered as part of the overall business strategy of the club. That's fine, many clubs do this. My own Those words are banned and that of the club has several questions however, that have yet to be fully answered.

So a future club strategy would have a simple linear structure where every part of the football department filters clearly into the next with one primary aim, to provide players for Southend United and or sell players for profit. That goes for First team and academy. So every supporter can see clearly where every penny of your season ticket, merchandise and sponsorship goes.

Would love a coffee with you sometime. Firstly to thank you ( want to do the same for everyone involved at the club formally or informally if I'm involved, and if I'm not I'd like to buy you a beer at a game someday, because without guys like you, clubs can't function) and secondly to give you some facts and information that several people have gathered in good faith that would give you a complete picture of the club today. I think then you'll have a much better overview of the club, the academy and people at all levels of the club. I hope you take me up on it.

I think Ron has always said that he'd fund the academy in perpetuity because of the reputation it has in producing footballers so I think everyone is pushing an open door when appreciating it's value.

But have that coffee with me. I think it will add to your already excellent knowledge base and perhaps, based on facts only will lead you to some very clear conclusions.

Last edited:
I think the criticism of Ricky Duncan is since he got his promotion, and was more involved in first team matters. No one can ever fault him for the magnificent work he's done for the Academy. He's been first class, as proved by your player stats Exiled Shrimper, and we've been so lucky that he wasn't poached by a bigger club. At times, he's been too good at his job, which kept him in that position.

Fantastic post Rob! Am I right in saying that after next year we no longer have the right to compensation should we remain in the national league? If that is the case, it hard to imagine that it would be seen as viable to continue by Ron.

Stan, I definitely agree that as a fan, the role of the youth team is produce players for Southend United. However, given our recent financial issues, I am not sure the ownership of the club would see it the same if there is an opportunity to make a quick buck in compensation (plus potential add ons) for a youth player before getting anywhere near a professional football pitch (you will know better than I will on that point). What is the success criteria of the youth academy in Ron’s eyes?

I think the criticism of Ricky Duncan is since he got his promotion, and was more involved in first team matters. No one can ever fault him for the magnificent work he's done for the Academy. He's been first class, as proved by your player stats Exiled Shrimper, and we've been so lucky that he wasn't poached by a bigger club. At times, he's been too good at his job, which kept him in that position.
The criticism of Ricky Duncan has been evident since he was involved in first team matters, certainly, but I have seen a number (not a majority) of posters repeatedly stating recently that he shouldn’t be involved with the Academy either and that he is part of the problem and needs to removed. I just wanted to try to address that narrative, from my own perspective.

The criticism of Ricky Duncan has been evident since he was involved in first team matters, certainly, but I have seen a number (not a majority) of posters repeatedly stating recently that he shouldn’t be involved with the Academy either and that he is part of the problem and needs to removed. I just wanted to try to address that narrative, from my own perspective.
Just for my own Those words are banned Exiled Shrimper, how often are you at the academy, on site?

Genuine question, not trying to contradict. So my son has many friends at a local school who play for various academies from Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham and Colchester. Are these the type of kids people are referencing as being missed?
I would hope not. I don’t think I’m being pessimistic by stating that we can’t compete with - at the very least - the first four names on your list. They are Category One Academies, and as such the games programme, the level of coaching and the training facilities are far greater than we can offer. Any youngster would be crazy to turn down the opportunity to go to an Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham or West Ham.

Colchester, too, are a higher-ranking Academy than us, at Category Two. It frustrates me - and I’m sure the Academy staff - that we can’t compete on a level with them in terms of the aspects listed above. I remember us competing with Colchester, QPR, Millwall, Brighton, Watford and Brentford (when they operated an Academy) on the field a decade ago; sadly the lack of the Academy structures that are tied into the new stadium project over that period means we not face them any longer. Peterborough are progressing to Cat Two now, and Luton Town narrowly missed out during the summer.

But what we can do is maintain good relationships with those clubs, so that when they are releasing players, we are the sort of club they’ll recommend their players look at joining. As far as I can see, that’s what’s happening.

Just for my own Those words are banned Exiled Shrimper, how often are you at the academy, on site?
I’m at 90% of U18s (and by default U16s) matches on a Saturday morning, home and away, and I get to all the U23s competitive games (very much limited by our Academy status) and some of their friendlies, too. My experience is very much at the end of Academy programme, but I am aware of the younger age groups as well. They are an area I would like to help promote more.

Just referencing your earlier post, I’d be more than happy to meet up for a chat, perhaps at our U23s Premier League Cup match away to Stoke City on 22nd November if that’s convenient. It would be enlightening to hear a potentially differing perspective from someone so heavily involved and respected in the game.

I’m at 90% of U18s (and by default U16s) matches on a Saturday morning, home and away, and I get to all the U23s competitive games (very much limited by our Academy status) and some of their friendlies, too. My experience is very much at the end of Academy programme, but I am aware of the younger age groups as well. They are an area I would like to help promote more.

Just referencing your earlier post, I’d be more than happy to meet up for a chat, perhaps at our U23s Premier League Cup match away to Stoke City on 22nd November if that’s convenient. It would be enlightening to hear a potentially differing perspective from someone so heavily involved and respected in the game.
Fantastic!

On site at academy daily through the week?

Hi Stan, out of interest, if you were appointed HOFO, would you be happy to start, by working with the existing staff, such as Ricky Duncan?
Or is that a red line?

Back